Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,529 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Heinz57, eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou

getting back on track again

11 years ago 0 409 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I realize now I should have started my own thread instead of butting in on "want to succeed" and getting back on track again. I'm new at this forum thing. Sorry, and I do realize I'm not the only one with problems here. Good luck to you with your back problems.
I've been taking Naltrexone for the past two years, and it has proven overall unsuccessful for me. I attended one AA meeting, but that is totally not my style. My husband of sixteen years, who is the most wonderful man in the world, is my favorite and primary drinking buddy. We both enjoy ourselves so much over a glass (or three) of fine wine several times a week. We have always loved going out on dates, or staying home and watching the sunset, going to parties together, and all of the other fabulous romantic things people do with a glass of wine in hand. At least three or four times within the past two months, I have driven while under the influence, and that's not unusual. Twice with my kids in the car. One of those times I know I was fully intoxicated. I'm really, really good at hiding it, even from myself.

My husband is very supportive of my decision to quit drinking, but we've been through this scenario several times over the past few years. He's just not strong enough to resist me when I convince him that THIS time I can handle just one drink and it won't start escalating. THIS time, let's keep alcohol out of the house, and I'll only drink when we're out on a date together. THIS time, I'll stick to red wine only, which will surely keep me from drinking too much. THIS time, I'll let him be my babysitter, and I'll stop whenever he tells me to. This morning I told him that I'm really going to quit for good, and he agreed to do whatever it takes. I'm already rehearsing ways to talk him out of it.

I have never tried an online support group before. I am also considering talking to my doctor about disulfiram. I'm not sure I can do this.....
11 years ago 0 1853 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi hitting50,

I'm glad you found this online support group!  There are members here that have had similar experiences and can empathize with where you are at and how you handle your addiction.

What are some of the tools or strategies you've used to quit in the past?  What was an obstacle for you?
Have you tried an online support group before?  Let us know how we can help!
I am almost fifty years old, and I have two young children who are now getting old enough to pay attention to how much I drink. I have spent the past ten years worrying about how much I drink, and the past two years actively (and utterly ineffectively) trying to cut down. I am a successful professional, and my drinking has never affected my family / social / or professional life. I love my work & my family; my husband also drinks, and we enjoy drinking together. However, I regularly wake up hungover, and I have recently done very stupid things (drinking & driving) that will eventually hurt my kids and get me in big trouble. Right now I've been sober for six hours. I have decided I'm not going to drink tonight, but I'm already thinking about that nice glass of wine. I'm scared...
11 years ago 0 1853 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi want to succeed,

It's good to hear from you and know that you are not giving up!  I'm interested to know if you find the book you ordered helpful.  Have you worked through the program offered on this site?  I encourage you to set some time aside each day, even 5 minutes, to work through a step of the program.  It will add to your resources and coping mechanisms to avoid the urge to drink. 

I'm sorry to hear you are dealing with intense back pain.  Is this what triggers you to drink?  What are some of your triggers?  Have you tried different forms of treatment such as acupuncture or bowen therapy?  These can have a beneficial effect in reducing your symptoms. 
Please post with us often to let us know how you're doing.

Here for you,
11 years ago 0 11 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
i have been here a few times and had relapse, but trying again, always stop for the same reason, btu always fall back for the same reason, AA program doesnt cut it for me, so i will start seeing somebody and also i have ordered a book calles, the cure for alcoholism, maybe this will give me an extrat push, cross my fingure that this time is for good, maybe if i didnt have this much lower back problem and problem to sleep because of it, maybe that would help, but the doctors say i am a hopless case when it comes to my back, they dont give me anything for the pain, so i will need to find another way to cope, my SI joint is finish and arthitis is in it now, i find that at 45 years old, i am to young to walk like a 95 years old, and now getting out of bed is one of the most painful thing, maybe my next book that i read should be learning to live in pain.

Reading this thread: