Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,526 Members

Please welcome our newest members: eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH

introduction help

5 years ago 0 11214 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome Samantha,

I am sorry to read you have been battling alcohol and depression. This site can be very helpful - work through the program and read through the forum. The more information you have the better.

We also have a great sister site for Depression. It is a self guided cognitive behaviour therapy program with a support group. I encourage you to check it out asap: https://evolutionhealth.care/index

It has been a few days since you posted. How are you doing today?

Ashley, Health Educator
5 years ago 0 1562 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
they really drill that its about taking it one day at a time

Unfortunately its literally translated as not drinking one day at a time. As a member of AA, I can tell you, being in the fellowship for the past 12 years, you start of not drinking but, its really working the 12 steps and having an attitude shift, you then live 1 day at a time. I begin by realizing that alcohol runs our life if we keep ourselves in that pity party. We start addressing what causes us go back alcohol and thats where the inventory comes in. Its all about having a different attitude toward life and being of service to other people. 
5 years ago 0 2 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I also wrote down all the horrible things that happened when I was drunk that wouldn't have happened otherwise. Maybe make a pros and con list. Keep looking forward to being able to say to yourself I havent had a drink for one week then look forward to being able to say two...three... a month... and so on... I think thats what helped me the most the first time I tried and that's what will probably get me through it this time If I make it... I've tried many times since and it hasn't worked but I need it to stick.. I have also tried AA meetings and there are plenty of people there willing and eager to help if thats something you think you would like and they really drill that its about taking it one day at a time which is true and eventually the days will get easier just push through the first few weeks and keep reminding yourself why you don't want to drink. It does help to tell people and hold yourself accountable thats what I did when I was able to make little stretches in the past... but this time Im not telling people because I've said it so many times its just humiliating and basically laughable to people so im hoping to make a good amount of time before I actually say 'I quit' and until them I'll just avoid them anyways hope that helps. 
5 years ago 0 2 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello Samantha, 
My name is Laura, Im 27 years old and have been struggling for 7 years with alcohol and I use to struggle with depression for about ten years. In 2016 I quit drinking for nine weeks and honestly it was amazing, If you can hang in there, the first two weeks are the hardest and after that it only gets easier. I think the 3-5 week mark I felt the best but the trick is to stay sober and don't trick yourself into thinking 'well i quit once, I can just quit again.' because its like your starting all over and you have to face those two weeks again prior to quiting for those nine weeks I tried many times and never made it that far...I've 'quit' a few times.

I use to drink more heavily then I do now but Im still drinking about five days a week. I don't black out as often as I used to and I think its because I went back to school and maybe that goal or distraction from boredom helped me stay a little more on track. Right now I'm only on day three I woke up after drinking sunday night and couldn't remember everything and when my roommate didn't text me back after I sent a 'sorry if I woke you up for anything message' I was panicked thinking that something bad happened when in reality nothing bad happened at all and I didn't wake her up or upset anyone from the night before... I don't know if you ever get that anxiety after a night of drinking but I decided I'm sick of feeling that way so that along with many other reasons I decided for the billionth time I want to quit and thats when I stumbled across this little study. 

But anyways just thought I would share with you so you know your not alone Im sure your situation is much different then mine but try and hang in there and make it through the first few weeks... thats what im aiming to do just keep reminding myself how good it felt that one time lol 

Good Luck, 
Feel Free to write back anytime 
(its whats working for me right now so thanks for the post)

5 years ago 0 115 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi samantha, 
I drank like you did when I was your age. I wish I figured out away to stop at that time. I wasted almost 15 more years trying to stop.

Maybe you need to think about drinking differently? A great podcast I am familiar with is one by Rachel Hart. It’s called Take a Break from Drinking. It gets you thinking about drinking differently. 

I listened to her for a month or so when I figured out it was geared toward women. Even so, what she said made a lot of sense to me. 

Take care and check in again later
Gus 
5 years ago 0 1 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi everyone , I am Samantha I am 28 years old and have battled with alcohol addiction and depression the last 3 years ... I’m starting to lose hope that it will get better , does anyone have any advice I can’t seem to get through two weeks 

Reading this thread: