Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,527 Members

Please welcome our newest members: eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH

Today is the day I will attempt to get sober

5 years ago 0 1562 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome to the forums Jax. Try stay stopped for a year. If you can't do it on your own, try reaching out Local AA meetings.
5 years ago 0 1 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi ... I don’t drink everyday  .. but around every 2 weeks I will drink till I get so drunk I won’t remember what happens and I will do stuff that I would normally never do ... and sumtimes I will put myself in bad situations... idunno if it’s cuz I get bored easily and when this happens and I just wanna have so much fun that I can’t stop I get out of control ... and other nights I will have a glass of wine with supper and that will be it.. i would like it to just be like that and stay at that one glass of wine ... and when I do loss control the next morning I feel terrible and hate that I got so out of control... but then after a few days this goes away and this bad circle starts over and over again ......but today I dunno this my rock bottom but I’m so tiréd of this happening that I’m ready to stop drinking completely I would like to stay at that one glass of one with supper if possible because I do enjoy these moments... but today I know that I have decide to change my life and it will be hard because I will let go of a lot of friends which I think or not the best people to be around and that means I will be more bored ... but I will try to start doing more healthy and sober activities and meet new people who will support me more ... so to starting over and new beginnings 
Welcome to the forums. Hope you are able to stay on the wagon using your will power. You may also visit local Open Discussion meetings of AA to augment your options.
This is the first time I have sought help..  I just got tired of feeling like crap in the morning and the last 6 months have 
really struggled with depression.. I would wake up every morning with a sense of guilt about drinking to much the
night before.   I am always good for a bottle every night after work.. I would never consider driving anywhere but 
am dependent on the drinking to help me sleep at night.  I would hit the gym first thing in the morning ,.. do a bootcamp class.. it would make me feel like my drinking wasn't out of control be being physically active but inside I know it is.. I'm in Florida visiting my sister and she doesn't drink so I've decided its the perfect time to quit..   last night I didn't have a drink !!! Hurray....
Welcome to the forums Letitgo. And I could relate to what you mean by it felt like church. I coming from different background, it was bit confronting. But looking inside, AA doesn't impose on any particular concept of GOD. Its up to the individual to come up with there own conception of their Higher power.

Most important thing for us at this moment is to realize the what they mean by being powerless over alcohol and that our life has become un-manageable. We have trained our mind to seek solace in alcohol every time we are not able to manage life. Boredom, inability to deal with others therefore irritability, frustration, not getting what we aspire to at this moment leading to depression and these are day to day situations we face and if we are not on top of it, our mind goes back to what it knows best, alcohol. We pick up and then our body and mind wants more. We can't stop with just a glass of wine. We keep lowering the imaginary line on the bottle. And then we give up, we drink the whole bottle.

Find a sponsor who will help you walk through the steps there should be some who are willing to work with you and help you find a higher power of your liking.

Good luck.
Hello everyone,

I did the quiz and pretty much topped the scales.  I have been drinking at least a bottle of wine a night on most weekdays...often more...sometimes 2... and much more than that on weekends.  Right now I'm having muscle spasms everywhere.  If I get the slightest injury it never seems to heal.  I have a really bad memory...and I forget ALOT of things / conversations from the night before.  I don't drink in the mornings, but start right after work most of the time.  If I have to drive the kids somewhere in the evenings, I will start after that.  I have driven in what I consider over the limit.  Up to 3 drinks I will drive, but if I'm sloshed I won't....I know it's no different....it's just plain stupid.

I know this when I'm sober.  When I'm drunk I don't make good decisions.  Most of my friends know I drink a lot, but they only think it's when I'm out partying, or with them.  I have a full time job, and I get to work each day, but sometimes I am getting over a hangover in the mornings.  I wonder if they still smell it on my breath

I start, and I don't stop until I fall asleep.  I know that this is affecting my health quite severely at this point.  I didn't drink this Tuesday, Wednesday, after a major binge on the weekend....which was a blur in the evenings, but had a bottle of craft beer on Thursday, and a bottle of wine last night.  I wanted more, but purposely didn't buy more.  Today is Saturday, and I made it through so far sober.  

I took a Gabapentin which I use occasionally for nerve pain, so I won't be tempted to take a drink tonight.  I'm afraid to go to my doctor for help because I've been hiding this for years and I don't want this on my health record.  I worry about my liver, and digestive system and malnourishment. I'm 30lbs overweight however.  I have to take a high dose of magnesium everyday or get major muscle cramps in my legs.  This has been going on for over 10 years.  But I've been binge drinking since I was in my 20's.  I tried AA a couple years ago, but it felt like church.  I respect that it works for many folks...I may try it again...or something similar

Oh my....  

Reading this thread: