Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,501 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Fwcl, anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA

Everyone in my life drinks

5 years ago 0 1 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Michael, I can so relate to your first comment. All my family and friends drink; some socially and some not. It's funny because as much as I know all my family and friends will support me and do anything to help, but I'm still in the embarrassed and shame face and I really need to move past it. I have such a hard time talking about it, but I'm working on it. Day 12 sober.
5 years ago 0 1009 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Well done on day 12 Michael! That's excellent progress and great to hear things are going so well with your wife. Take the challenges that will come your way and know those tests are there for a reason and will help you grow. We need to go through them to push to the next level. It's like starting workouts, there's a lot of pain with even the easy ones when you start however as you continue and progress you'll be conditioned to handle the tougher ones. Stick to your path and crush the challenges so you can move on to the next one!

All the best,

D

5 years ago 0 3 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks so much for the response guys. Im on day 12 and still doing well. Ive managed to attend social gatherings and sporting events (saved a fortune not buying drinks) without even the urge to drink. My wife has been so supportive. I took her out all weekend for her birthday and we are noticing such a difference now that Im on this path. Attending a wellness seminar this coming weekend and looking to add to my toolbox in a public support group. I know there will be tough days ahead but day by day I feel better and better.

Thanks again Ashley and all.
5 years ago 0 11213 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
That's so great to hear Michael! Your post put a smile on my face. I am glad you are enjoying the benefits of being alcohol free. Isn't it lovely to feel healthy? It won't always feel this great. You likely will have cravings and bad days so keep your guard up. Keep highlighting the good days and the great benefits you are enjoying. You are doing this woooo!

Ashley, Health Educator
5 years ago 0 1562 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Michael,
  Welcome to the forums. An alcoholic mind is a tricky one. It always working on something to reach that sense of ease and comfort. Its like the child that throws tantrum. And it tricks us into thinking we could handle a drink or two. At that point we take that, the consequences are blinded. The mind just focuses on the effect produced by alcohol. We yield to that desire and then the trouble starts. We can't stop. 

Even in the rooms of AA they just end up boring people with just talking about the consequences. They scare them newcomers with DUIs and incarcerations and car wrecks. But the alcoholics keep doing it. Because sitting in the rooms, we think that next time, I will not do that or it will not happen to me. There is a big difference between compliance and fully being committed. 

Anyways I dont want to bore you with more stuff. There are free online resources if you just want to explore what AA is all about. E-AA.org is a great forum if you want to know more. AA.org has the links to the book Alcoholics Anonymous and you can read them online. 

Good luck.
5 years ago 0 1009 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Michael, well done on day 6! That is truly excellent. Hold that path and stay strong. There is always challenges for sure however we're always surprised by the support that is available. Check in often here and you'll get lots of constructive and positive feedback. If you haven't seen or read it, have a look at this book. It's a bit of a different perspective on quitting drinking by Allen Carr...

https://www.amazon.ca/Stop-Drinking-Now-Allen-Carr/dp/1784045411/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1526433701&sr=8-1&keywords=Allen+Carr+quit+drinking&dpID=512DcICMO7L&preST=_SY344_BO1,204,203,200_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

All the best,

D848

Ive reached day 6 and things are going great so far. Ive already noticed such a difference in my day to day life and have felt a great deal of support from both friends and family regarding my decision. Although I am aware that Ill always be an alcoholic Im committed to this path. There have been tough days so far and Im sure more challenges to come but Im no longer associating fun with alcohol. Thanks for the response its great to have this site. The support, tools, and goals are helping me move forward. 
5 years ago 0 11213 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome Michael,

Congratulations on day one! Making a big lifestyle change is scary and being worried about your social life is also totally understandable. Try thinking about how you will talk to people about your decision to stop drinking. I think you would be surprised by how supportive most people will be. Who knows? Maybe some will also follow in your foot steps. Lead by example and put your health first. Keep us updated on how it goes! 

Ashley, Health Educator
Today is day one. My wife suggested I look into getting my drinking in check. Im extremely worried about losing my friendships with close friends and reletives that drink. Everyone I know drinks, visit my parents drink, go out with coworkers drink, see my friends drink. Removing alcohol from my life is scary but Im happy to at least be through day one.

Reading this thread: