Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,527 Members

Please welcome our newest members: eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH

A first timer introducing herself

5 years ago 0 9 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Maxj: I see a lot of my habits in your post, except I was never able to hold off until the weekend.  Good luck and hang in there.
5 years ago 0 1009 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi maxjpowers77,

I haven't been on the site for a while and check in occasionally. I'm in Canada myself, Ontario actually, and thought I would drop you a note of support. It's always tough when you move to a new city, especially if you don't know anyone. It's lonely and anxious and drinking can become a reliable companion. Unfortunately it's also a love/hate relationship. This site is a great resource and there are many others. Depending on where you are located in Canada there can be some great one-on-one counseling support that is supplemented with group support as well. The challenge can often be getting past that first week/ weekend and the detox aspect of not drinking. Keep checking in, I'll do the same. You're not alone in this challenge however you ARE a young professional and you have much to look forward to. Wasting a day on the couch (and we all have!) isn't living. You can do this! Additionally to this great site, here are a few other resources to support your efforts....

http://www.tiredofthinkingaboutdrinking.com/ (Belle started this site and has a 100 day challenge. I know other members who had a lot of success with this program)

http://www.livingsober.org.nz/ (This is a very vibrant online community supporting those of us that struggle with drinking problems)

http://aa.activeboard.com/f94464/alcoholics-anonymous/ (This site is focused on AA with a lot of new people as well as old-timers and is very supportive for those in the program)

As Foxman will attest to, there are plenty of local meetings for AA in pretty much every area.

The most important thing is to find what works for you and you get the support you need to overcome this challenge. I hope this helps. Please check in. If you are in Ontario there may be one-on-one resources in your area.

All the best,

D848
5 years ago 0 1562 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello, welcome to the forums. The book Alcoholics Anonymous calls the peculiar mental twist that precedes that first drink. As you said, we come up with some excuse, justification, reason that a drink is needed to comfort us. Then we end up drinking lot more than we originally planned. We are mentally and bodily impacted. We are restless irritable and disconteded, some are bored anxious when not drinking. And that leads us back into that insidious first drink. Thats the vicious cycle of alcoholism and drug addiction.
5 years ago 0 1 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi,

I am a young professional in Canada, and have had issues with alcohol since I started drinking in University, where I drank heavily and often through both degrees. I started a new job and moved to a new city in August last year. At first, I found I was drinking daily to fill the time because I was bored after work, but I was able to stop at 1-2 glasses of wine or having a couple of beers. However, very soon I found that I wasn't able to stop. I've quit back on drinking during the week because I was starting to miss work more and more and have been limiting myself to the weekend only, however, I drink to excess on the weekend. In the past several months I have tried to quit, however, I always find myself making one excuse or another and telling myself I'll only have one glass of wine or one beer only. However, this doesn't work for me, and soon the entire bottle is gone or the entire pack of beer. I'm sick of doing this and of feeling horrible and wasting away my weekend on the couch nursing my hangovers, as I did today. I missed a beautiful sunny day laying on my couch. Anyway, I"m here to hopefully finally get a handle on this. 

Reading this thread: