Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,635 Members

Please welcome our newest members: RBARDAJE, CuppaJo, GCAJULAO, RPABIA, TEBON

Difficult First Step

7 years ago 0 4 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I know exactly how you feel. I used to do the same, then just looked forward to going home and would pour a glass of wine one or grab a beer even before changing clothes or starting dinner. I've recently learned t o stock my fridge with lots of choices of nonalcohlic drinks. Caffeine free Diet dew and root beer helps me. Or Decaf coffee or tea.. Caffeinated or sugared drinks at night don't help. Juices, water, lots of variety. treat yourself to some tasty options to help you get through the evenings! Reward yourself with something special when you make it through the week. My reward has been treating myself to a massage after two successful weeks. It's been wonderful. Don't forget to be good to yourself. You're worth it!
7 years ago 0 3 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi there.  I just joined and read your post here.  You sound just like me!  If ever you want to talk about how we can get a grip on this problem, let me know.  Good luck.
7 years ago 0 11216 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome Ready2Begin,

Congrats on getting started. It sounds like you have already identified your trigger - evenings, when making dinner. Now to change your routine. What can you replace alcohol with? What did you do around dinner time before you started drinking wine? How can you remind yourself? How can you reward yourself in other ways?

Keep us updated on how you are doing!

Ashley, Health Educator
7 years ago 0 1562 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I drink over half a bottle of a Magnum size bottle each and every night.

Cant control the amount of alcohol we drink after we start is just a small part of the problem. If you are an alcoholic, we will come up with some excuse to drink. 

Try stay stopped for say 3 months and see of you can stay away from alcohol and be honest about how your mindset is during that period of abstinence. Where you struggling to stay sober or it came with ease. But sometimes, people take up the challenge but get drunk the day after the period is complete. I did it when my counselor wanted me to stay away from alcohol for a month. I did it just to prove that I can but then went right back into drinking on day 31.

7 years ago 0 286 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome Ready 2Begin,

It is tough to reach out the first time so congratulations on beginning the journey.  As wasted time said, it is entirely possible to continue to function in life and still have a problem with alcohol.  My thought is that once you begin to think that alcohol is a problem for you, it is. 
Have you decided what your goal is yet? Is it moderation or abstinence?  
I found at the beginning that the nights did seem long after using alcohol for my entertainment.  However, I allowed myself to do whatever worked for that first little while, whether it be Netflix, long baths or bed. It did get much easier and possibilities appear that eventually fill your time in a much better way.
Good luck.  You have come to a good place where support is available. Hope to hear more from you!
7 years ago 0 52 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I hear you sister and good on you for reaching out.  As I read your story, I felt like you were telling mine.  I was a high functioning, regular drinker for a very long time and then I started to feel unwell and began to worry about my health etc.

Boredom was one of the major reasons for my drinking but as you can see by my username I began to realize that drinking away the evenings was a waste of precious time that could be used to do something meaningful.  Have you gone to the Toolbox yet?  There are some amazing questionnaires there that will give you some eye opening feedback.  This information was enough to motivate me to make some serious changes. 

I have an idea that you may find helpful.  Consider making a list of things that you have always wanted to try or things you would like to learn and use this list as a source of motivation.  Just as an example I decided to return to school and complete a post-secondary diploma, signed up for a 5K and returned to skiing after 30 years.  Trust me, I don't have the energy to be bored anymore lol.

In my experience, the first couple of days are the most difficult but it does get easier day by day.  Please stay in touch and let us know how you are doing. 

7 years ago 0 1 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello. I think I would call myself a functioning alcoholic, but I know there is no such thing. I carry on my normal daily activities from jogging 3x a week with a friend, going to the gym 2-5 times a week, being a mom, wife, daughter, and friend. I started drinking wine while making dinner. The problem is that I don't stop until I go to bed (nearly 5 hours later). I drink over half a bottle of a Magnum size bottle each and every night. I feel like crap the next day. My blood pressure is crazy high, and I know it is from drinking. The problem is, I don't know what to do with myself in the evenings. I'm hoping this help center can help me change my habits. So writing this post and admitting my problem is my difficult first step.

Reading this thread: