Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,635 Members

Please welcome our newest members: RBARDAJE, CuppaJo, GCAJULAO, RPABIA, TEBON

7 years ago 0 4 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Just  checking in.... a month and a half behind me so far. I have had a drink here and there, but never to excess, I'm glad to report! A friend recently reached out to me regarding her alcohol addiction. We are now trying to keep each other accountable and check in with each other often. It does help to open up and share the struggles instead of trying to do it all alone. If you are struggling, try to find a friend you can trust to confide in and help you on your journey. Thanks to all of you for your encouraging words and support. 
Thanks to each of you for your replies and your encouragement. I'm doing fine so far. I know it's a long process but I'm determined this time to see it through. Oh did I mention, I'm pretty stubborn when I set my mind to something! 
7 years ago 0 1562 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
and then, after awhile, I think I have it all under control, let myself start up again. It's a vicious cycle.

Vicious cycle, indeed. We forget the consequences of drinking. Just last week, I heard one of our friend in our circle, narrowly escaped DUI charges and the other has been driving under the influence to work late nights. He works for the big retail stores, he is stocking section, so he works night. But people forget them and pick up. Thats the insanity of this condition. Normal people would not do this. They wouldn't first of all not drink if such calamities have to happen to them and even if they want to drink, they wouldnt risk driving around. I was actually lucky not to have gotten DUI. I had driving with open containers in the car. I use to drive around an Accord and it had that side-box which was so convenient to hide (i thought).  I am so grateful, I didn't kill myself or others. I have to thank the fellowship of AA and the 12 steps through which I was able to tap into the power so I have no desire to drink anymore.
7 years ago 0 11216 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome Kelia,

First of all, congratulations on continuing to work at it. I bet you have learned lots during those experiences. That experience really does add up. What have you learned from your previous quits?

It also sounds like you have identified a trigger - boredom and possibly loneliness. How do you think you can cope with these triggers. Finding alternative social outlets I think will be a big part of your quit plan. What do you think?

Ashley, Health Educator
7 years ago 0 286 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome Kelia,

I can hear and relate to the pain that you are feeling.  My road to quitting drinking was long and winding too.  I have found sustaining support here so good for you for reaching out and asking for help.  For me, my first steps were finally accepting that moderation was never going to work for me, telling someone this, and then gathering all the tools I needed to get through that first while.  There are many paths to sobriety it seems and different tools work for different people: some find AA works, others use online supports, a doctor's help etc  There is lots of support out there once you make the decision. The experts say that it takes at least 90 days to rewire your brain.  I joined a 100 day challenge to quit drinking.  Thinking of you as you work things through in your mind.  Keep in touch. 

Hello. I'm a new-comer to this site and thought I'd jump in and introduce myself. I've read a few previous posts and subsequent replies and see that the comments are very encouraging and I believe that is what I need right now. Long story short, I've struggled with alcohol for years and I've tried, on my own, to deal with it. I've cut back, a lot. Don't drink nearly as much or as often as I used to. But occasionally I still find myself overdoing it and end up beating myself up over it. In every other aspect of my life, I am so much in control. I'm to the point now that I have to make  very conscious decisions to not drink today. Or perhaps I will allow myself to have one or two. If I'm not driving. I'm on my own now. Empty nester. I'd love to go out and meet up with friends, have a couple drinks and listen to a band. But then I'd have to drive home. And I just can't risk that. I'd hate myself if I ever did anything to hurt someone to take someone else's life. So now, I just stay home by myself, and I hate it. Sometimes I will buy some beer (can't drink liquor anymore) and just sit home and drink on weekends when I know I don't have to get out or do anything. And that's not good either. I know deep inside I need to just quit. And I do, sometimes for days, or weeks, even months, and then, after awhile, I think I have it all under control, let myself start up again. It's a vicious cycle. Anyway, sorry for the long introduction, lol, but this is me and that's what I'm dealing with. Welcome your comments and support. Thanks!

Reading this thread: