Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,529 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Heinz57, eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou

Hello,

8 years ago 0 1562 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
We all need to realize that there is Hard drinker and then there is an Alcoholic. An Alcoholic left on his own resource will figure out a way to go back out. He/she will come up with some excuse: Its the hard liquor, I could manage beer or wine. Or its just that the place I drank, so they switch bars. The subtle insanity could strike any moment. There is a great chapter in the book Alcoholics Anonymous to illustrate this insanity. There are 4 stories in the chapter "More about alcoholism" to illustrate what sort of thinking goes through an alcoholic mind prior to picking up that 1st drink very interesting. It kind of described my situation so it helped me convinced that I needed the 12 steps.
8 years ago 0 315 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Every day that passes that I don't take a drink i am shocked, specially in the first few months. I made a point to tell everyone that I NEEDED to quit. For me I was at the jumping off point. Sober up or die. I had already lost everything wife, kids, house, boat, car, self respect, will to live was all gone. All I had left was drinking buddies, that believed all my lies. It is said that one has to reach a point where they can't do it anymore for them to admit total defeat. I call it rock bottom. If your life is as bad as you want it to get due to drinking ways then you will do anything to get sober and stay sober. Or, you will pick up again and will continue to find new lows. I mean, that is if you are a drinking of my kind.
For me here are a few tools that I use.

Start each day with 24hrs reading (hazelton)

As soon as I get to my office I use this website, love the diary.

I always have a book on alcoholism with me. Cause when things don't go my way I have to remind myself that life lived on self will alone will put me back in a bar stool.

I have hundreds of people that are trying to stay sober in my Cell phone, I txt lots.

I have 3 or 4 people that I talk to weekly that drank like I did. I pickup the phone when I need to and when I don't also it is a good habit.

I go to at least 4 AA meetings per week. AA members are the friendliest people and they all care about staying sober. 

I close my day reading, how others got and stayed sober.

This have worked for me since March 10/2014. I singed up for this site on March 9 best thing I ever did. 

I wish everyone a safe sober Christmas and clean honest new year.

8 years ago 0 115 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Charlie,
Im quit eight months, after trying for years to quit. My advice to you is just take it one day at a time. Keep reading the advice and insight on this site. It gets easier to quit with time, and you start feeling better everyday you are quit.
All the best!
Gus
8 years ago 0 3 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thank you all for the warm welcome.

Today was day 2, 

I tried to keep busy and not think of drinking , it was not easy. 

If I could do it today, I can do it tomorrow.

Thanks again.
8 years ago 0 11214 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome Charlie,

I am glad you found us. We'll be here to support you every step of the way. One day at a time is a great goal. Be sure to incorporate rewards into your plan as well. Rewards are great ways to reinforce behaviour and to learn to enjoy things without the use of alcohol.

How are you feeling today? 
Ashley, Health Educator
8 years ago 0 9 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Charlie - Day 1 is a huge step, but the longest journey begins with that first step. 

Lots of great information on this site, and so many other sites on the Internet - there is an amazing amount put out there by people who have tried and failed a thousand times, to 'newbies' like us, and long-term sober folk.  All have something to say and something we can learn from.  I spend a couple of hours a day now - in the mornings - reading these blogs and sites, watching videos, and listening to podcasts.  That gives me things to think about when I'm out running, cycling, and swimming - always good to have something 'meaty' to ponder and it keeps me thinking about sobriety and why it's working for me.  Day 17 now and feeling great!! 

8 years ago 0 315 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
The one day at time thing is the way I live. I only have to stay sober today. Yesterdays mistakes are done, I have to face them and can't hide from them in the bottle because when I do things get worst. Tomorrow who knows but for today I will do whatever it takes to stay sober.
What do you plan to do to stay sober today? 

8 years ago 0 286 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome Charlie.  Good for you on your decision to have this be your day one.  The first while is tough but hang in there and it does get easier.  Wishing you well as you begin your journey.  Post lots here and you will be supported.
8 years ago 0 3 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello all.

My name is Charlie.
 I am an alcoholic, I have been for 18 years. I have the same story as many of you do. I am glad I found this website . I signed up today and read many of the posts in the forum. It was nice to see the support from people for others success and failures. It is positive and encouraging to see this in people who stuggled with the same problem I have.

Today is day one for me, my goal is one day at a time, and hopefully as time passes it will become weeks and months.

I want to be a better person for myself and others.

I hope I can support you all as well, and share my success and hopefully not to many failures.

All the best

Charles.

Reading this thread: