Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,529 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Heinz57, eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou

Not sure if this can help me

8 years ago 0 286 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
AJ,

They say that it takes 90 days to reset the addictive brain.  Perhaps that is a manageable goal to quit for?  Why not allow yourself the chance to find out that life without alcohol is so much better.  Hard to believe now but true.  The first few weeks are tough but it does get easier.  If this website is not enough support to do this, there are lots of other/additional supports to check out. You really can do this!  
8 years ago 0 3 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks again all for taking the time to read and reply to my messages. I had a bit of a rebound since my original post in that my wife and kids are for the time being at least are staying with me. I have done some damage that I fear is not repairable (nothing physical) and so I'm feeling anxious all the time, so much so that it is beginning to make me frustrated and mad instead of regretful. Not sure that makes sense to any of you, but in my mind its almost like I am the victim instead of my family. I know that is not the case but somehow my addiction is making me rationalize it that way. 

I cut back my drinking to a pint twice a week. This is down from about double that before. I recognize that I need to make even more of an effort to reduce my drinking further; however, even with the help from this site and my somewhat gaining will power to abstain I still find excuses to drink.

Pray for me if you find the time in your own crazy life to do so.

Thanks,
AJ

8 years ago 0 115 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey AJ,
I was in your situation about a year ago. I listened to that voice inside telling me to quit. I am quit now almost 5 months. Cross that line in the sand my friend. 

To figure out how, look around on this website. Lots of tools and ideas here for quitting. And there's a great group of supporters here for you as well. 
8 years ago 0 72 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Wow jakelad, what  sad, but also hopeful story. So true... AJ this is your chance to listen that voice in your heart that is whispering the truth, but that is so often muffled out by the loud voice of addiction. So glad that you have taken this step to get involved here. I have found having an online community very helpful, and it has made this attempt at sobriety so much more effective than past attempts...
Thanks for taking the time to respond to my initial comment. I appreciate your insight and want you to know that I will take your words to heart and try to work toward a better tomorrow.

Thank you!
8 years ago 0 11214 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi AJ,

Welcome to the group. I am sorry to read what you wrote. Know that we are hear to listen (read) and this program may help. If you feel like sharing more about what you are going through, I encourage you to do so.

Ashley, Health Educator
8 years ago 0 315 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
You might be losing your family? I said that for a few years but did nothing about it and then they where gone. Along with my house, cars, boats ect ect ect. The best plan I could come up with was to drink more and feel sorry for myself. Soon my reputation, job and will to live left. Rock bottom set in and I became willing to do anything to live sober and do right things. 
All the pain for me was needed, I had to lose everything and try to kill myself to admit defeat and ask for help. Each day I have to humble myself by thinking how bad my life was so I can accept the help that is freely giving. 
I know people that hated hangovers so they quit still have the love of a family, jobs and toys. I also know people that lost it all and then some. We choose our own rock bottom. IF this is yours your life will get better starting today. If it is not soon you will feel worst then today and could be alone even more. It is up to you. I wish you all the best.
Hi,
I'm not sure if this can help me, I'm in trouble and might be losing my family because of my drinking.

Reading this thread: