Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,526 Members

Please welcome our newest members: eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH

remember me?

6 years ago 0 1562 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Congrats Flipflopmom, way to go.
6 years ago 0 113 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey there, sober friends!

I hope you're all doing well, and working on your sobriety one day at a time.  I'm happy to share that I'm over 100 days sober!  Yay, me!  Fortunately, through my past relapses, I know that every day is a new one, and my past success does NOT guarantee my future.  I'm in face to face AA meetings weekly, have an awesome sponsor, and have made a lot of great sober girlfriends to hang out with.  Life is very good.  My family and close friends know I'm in AA, and are all very supportive.  I hope my sharing will help others see that no matter what you go through, just keep working at your goals and eventually you will see progress.  This has been quite the journey so far, and I hope I can keep applying the 12 steps daily and keep my sober days adding up.  Many blessings to you all.
Flipflopmom,
   I had the same feeling too when I finally landed in AA. People have a wrong opinion looking outside. But today I know the power behind the program. If I am spiritually fit, I get to enjoy the promises. And the joy we experience when someone gets it, its unbeatable. 
Hello!  I just wanted to check in and say I got my 30 day chip!!!!  It's been 36 days and although sometimes it's not easy, I've really enjoyed being sober.  Fox, I think of you so often!  I wish I had gone to AA sooner.  If there is anyone out there just getting started, PLEASE try AA.  I have been coming to this site for years now and tried everything to get sober without using AA.  I tried cutting back, having my family "regulate my drinking" (so horrible to do to them!) and reading books, websites, anything that would get me to stay sober longer than a few months.  Looking back, my fears and reservations seem so silly now that I know what AA is all about.  There is an answer... a way to stay sober.  Because getting sober is the easy part.  Staying sober is the hard part, and I have learned that if we don't address the inner issues and triggers deep within ourselves, the chances of relapse are basically imminent.  Fox, you have always been there for me, and I understand your drive to fulfill your 12th step and help people on this site.  I admire you so much!  Thank you for always encouraging me, sticking with me, and being a friend. 
I have anxious moments and fear grips but thats fine with me. I just walk through those moments. Before thats exactly what would lead me back to a drink. The first step in recovery is that deep deep realization that we are alcoholic and that we have to change to tap into the power. I have to constantly work on my selfish self-centered conduct. I suggest you carry some AA talks with you during the vacation. Of course you can always lookup for a AA meeting around where you are vacationing. My favorite speaker is Chris R. There are plenty of his talk on youtube. Enjoy the vacation. We get to experience the 10th step promises as long as we are in fit spiritual condition. So relax and take it easy.
Good morning beautiful people!  Well, it's day 19 for me today, and AA has me very busy to say the least!  Fox, I've been to 2 f2f meetings so far and I'm happy to say I've found a home group! It's a women's group and the ladies are a lot of fun, down to earth, and very welcoming. It took a big heart to heart with my hubby to get him more on board with  my journey, but he is willing and supportive, so I'm thankful for that.

I had a few difficult days where my anxiety was very high, but I got some rest, slowed things down, and I'm back to feeling like my happy, healthy sober self as of yesterday.  It sure is a journey, and I've learned that just 'staying strong' or 'powering through the urge' will never work long term.  I'm working steps 1-3 daily and it's NOT EASY, but I will keep on keeping on!

We leave for vacation tomorrow, and I have a plan in place to continue working my program.  Thank you all for being here for me, encouraging me, and being part of my story.  Blessings!!!!
6 years ago 0 115 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome back Flipflopmom! I'm glad your back. It's ok to slip up. No one here will condemn you for that. I can write the book on slipping up!

I had a very similar experience to yours, back in 2014. I thought I was stopped drinking ( in reality I only quit two weeks the first time) then went off the rails harder than ever. I had been on this site when I stopped, then I left and  came back after about a year. I tried quitting for about a year. It didn't work first. And then I finally got it right. I'm sure your doing what works for you. AA has worked great for a lot of friends of mine.

I look forward to your updates. Take care of yourself.
Gus
6 years ago 0 115 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome back Flipflopmom! I'm glad your back. It's ok to slip up. No one here will condemn you for that. I can write the book on slipping up!

I had a very similar experience to yours, back in 2014. I thought I was stopped drinking ( in reality I only quit two weeks the first time) then went off the rails harder than ever. I had been on this site when I stopped, then I left and  came back after about a year. I tried quitting for about a year. It didn't work first. And then I finally got it right. I'm sure your doing what works for you. AA has worked great for a lot of friends of mine.

I look forward to your updates. Take care of yourself.
Gus
6 years ago 0 11214 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome back!

Thank you for posting and sharing with us so honestly. That takes courage. You are going to be a great asset to the group again. I look forward to reading more about your experiences and insight. 

Ashley, Health Educator
6 years ago 0 8 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Flipflopmom,
I'm so happy that you found the support you were looking for. You have far more courage than I in that you came back as your original self. You see, I too was a long time member and regular poster on this forum and felt once I had considerable time AF, I could just do the rest on my own. I eventually relapsed in a big way. Nonetheless, good on you in recognizing how incredibly deviant AV can be and that we need to never let our guard down ever again. Welcome back!

Reading this thread: