Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Smile....and don't shoot the messenger

Timbo637

2024-09-27 3:17 PM

Quit Smoking Community

logo

Site seems a little faster

Timbo637

2024-09-05 4:43 PM

Quit Smoking Community

logo

What are negative core beliefs?

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-07-17 7:35 PM

Depression Community

logo

Creating a stress plan

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-07-08 4:16 PM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Most Loved

Browse through 411.765 posts in 47.065 threads.

161,104 Members

Please welcome our newest members: PetiteMyth, Caroline16, Pisces83, BazzViol, TGee

I need support from you all!

8 years ago 0 113 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi there,

Well, I have to admit, Foxman, I sort of "ran and hid in the corner" after reading your last 2 comments.  I was upset and mad at you.  To be honest, I didn't want to post here again, because I just wanted to run away from this forum.

But here I am again.  I went away this weekend and didn't drink at all.  We were in the country and had a lot of fun family time. 

My daughter commented that "mom never drinks wine anymore."  That was nice.
8 years ago 0 1562 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
You see drinking is just a small part of the problem. The key is to focus on what sought of thinking went on prior to taking that glass of Wine.  We go through that brain freeze. Thats what we call in AA powerlessness (mental). Then there is craving (physical powerlessness) after we take that first drink.  Now you probably are going through a phase of guilt remorse with a firm resolution not to drink again. 

I like the story of the accountant fred in the chapter more about alcoholism. He knew what alcoholism is (the members briefed him about it) but he thought he can beat the game and went on a merry way. And then on a great day, the story says there no single cloud on the horizon. But he drank. Thats insanity (around alcohol).

Then there are hard drinkers. Given sufficient reason-Wife threatening to leave or ill-health can consciously stay stopped. 
8 years ago 0 1562 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
My friend asked me if I wanted some wine and I said YEEEESSSSS.

That is what we call in AA hitting the blind spot. The consequences doesn't come into our mind, all we are focused on is that sense of ease and comfort that 1 or 2 drinks would provide us. And then the craving kicks in. Rest is all aftermath.

The defense comes from staying spiritually fit. 
8 years ago 0 110 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Flipflopmom,

The solution that worked for me is Alcoholics Anonymous.  My path through the 12 steps has not been easy, but it has freed me from my obsession to drink alcohol. 

When I first got here, I was determined not to try AA.  When I realized it was the only option, I did it, and my life has absolutely reversed.  

All of the little things about me that bothered myself or other people are gone, along with that pesky habit of guzzling vodka like it's water.  It's those character defects that cause the obsession.

I needed some way to free my mind from obsessions.  Telling myself not to obsess?  Think about that phrase.  It's a crazy notion.  To stop obsessing, we need help.

If you'd like to talk more about the spiritual solution, or if you have any questions at all, please feel free to email me at cftt @ gmx . com ... I can put you in contact with a lady from my group who can help lead you to water, if you wish.

CF
Hi CF,

Can you tell me about your spiritual solution, please?

Thanks!
8 years ago 0 110 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Sometimes we just need to experience those things ourselves, Flipflopmom...

You show great courage to get right back on the wagon, with perhaps a different perspective.  I don't think it's worth beating yourself up over, as you are doing what you can to prevent a slide back to where you were.

For me, there was so much mental insanity (just as you described and undoubtedly felt) involved with remaining sober, that I needed a spiritual solution to deal with my thinking. 

CF
The pink cloud.... Here is my confession. 

I went to my friend's house last week.  You remember this friend, the one that I said bought a bottle of wine for "when I come over?"  Ugh.

Well, I was over her house and my daughter was being so terrible and out of control. I got really mad and upset.  My friend asked me if I wanted some wine and I said YEEEESSSSS.

I should've known I was in no condition to be drinking.  Although I only had 2 glasses, it was how I felt when I was drinking them that made the experience terrible.  All I wanted was MORE MORE MORE. 

I went home after those 2 glasses knowing all I had at home was beer, which I hate.  Thank God that's all there was in my house, because I think I would have been powerless and had more.  I'm so glad I've at least set up these road blocks so that I can't just fall down the rabbit hole and get lost with alcohol. 

It took hours before my obsessive thoughts about MORE went away. The whole time I was fighting myself, "I want more."  "You're supposed to not be doing this anymore." Back and forth, back and forth.

I now know that I can't go near alcohol unless I'm in the right frame of mind.  I've been doing so well with my abstinence and moderation, but when I'm mad/sad/any negative emotion, drinking is not a good choice for me at all.

Duh, right?

On a good note, I did tell my friend while I was there that I was no longer drinking at home because I saw it as a problem.  She, too, said she had been drinking too much.  My husband and I bought non alcoholic sparkling pear and apple cider over the weekend for at home celebrations.  I was so happy about that.  Even my daughter wants to share some with us. 

Well, that's my confession.  I have forgiven myself, but I'm disappointed.  I know this is a learning experience, and it feels good to have a safe place to get this off my chest.  My husband didn't even know I did it. 

8 years ago 0 19 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
FlipFlop.... I'm so happy for you!!!  
I too haven't told my wife about this site or my intentions to quit, so hearing your husband's reaction really put a smile on my face!  Doesn't it feel amazing that when you set your mind to do something that you actually follow through and do it!  In a world of Facebook self-decloration of literally every accomplishment in ones life, it feels good to keep your personal accomplishments close to just you.  
I don't know you, but am really proud of you.
Have a spectacular weekend!
T
8 years ago 0 69 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
That is the type of support that will lead you on to greatness.
Eeeek!  Guess what!?

I told my husband.  I had a feeling that I should, so I did.  I told him how I felt about my drinking, what my intentions are to change, and how I've been using this site for support and motivation.  He was very supportive!  Yay!

I told him in just the same way I told him about going back to the gym. 4 months ago, I told my hubby that I was going to get back in shape, no matter what it took.  I returned to the gym that week, and have been going 4-5 days a week since. 

I feel the same way about this.  I have made no big promise or declaration.  I'm just going to do it.  Period.  

Have a sober day, ya'll!

Reading this thread: