Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,631 Members

Please welcome our newest members: RPABIA, TEBON, SJOLINE GEL, Duncan Brown, BBEA ANGELIC

I did it!

9 years ago 0 10 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

I know It’s a tough journey Sprout and the beast will always be there to tempt you in many ways and sometimes it’s quite hard to explain what really happened . I think you are on the right path. You got back on your feet after slipping - you did not stay down. To me, that’s a step and a half.

These days I do a lot of activities to occupy my mind especially during the weekend when the so called beast is very active. Connecting with family/positive friends, cooking, tending for the dogs and travelling upcountry are some of the hobbies that help me keep in check.

Fluffy

9 years ago 0 17 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Sorry I haven't been on for a while. Been doing pretty good, couple of slip ups but definately cut back over the past month. Thanks for everyone's comments and hope you are all doing well.

Sprout
9 years ago 0 11216 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I'm so glad you are feeling strong now sprout despite the disappointing weekend. You have the right attitude. Learn from it and keep on moving forward. You CAN do this. I can't wait to read about how good you are going to feel soon.

Remember, if anything comes up - post. You have got an awesome support team here, you are not in this alone.

Ashley, Health Educator
9 years ago 0 421 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Swig--love the quote!
Nice one Swig nomore. 
Sprout
9 years ago 0 55 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
"You don't drown by falling in the water, You drown by staying there"  Ed Cole
Thx all. I actually feel good now. Even better than last week. I'm Not obsessing. It's like last week when I decided to quit I needed to drink again knowing I didn't want it anymore. I don't know sounds dumb but I didn't enjoy it. 
9 years ago 0 421 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Sprout!
Just look at it as a learning experience.  I think you are doing great. This is HARD!  Sometimes we stumble and then pick ourselves up to finish the race. You can do this. You have determination and you have the desire. I'm sorry your kids are disappointed but, they will be thrilled when you show them you are still on the right track. I can tell you from experience that they are just worried that your resolve was short lived and you are heading down the overindulgence path again. With that said Swig Nomore is right---You have to decide to do it for yourself ---but, making your family proud is a huge motivation I find.  As far as the AA or other groups I get what you are saying too.  I also am in small town with a sensitive/public job---and while my parents don't live here they would not be happy to know about my problem and would not understand---ever trust me. So, this site for me has also been the very best.  I feel that being able to come here and be honest and open (which you can do in AA also but, in person at the group meetings) with this online group is so healing.  To find others like myself and get feedback and advice from them has been invaluable--as well as the counselors here are great. 

I would advise you to keep up with the diary on here and read and post as often as you can.  It can only help you to keep this Beast in it's cage and to keep your eye on what you are trying to achieve. We are here for you and remember YOU are in control of that first drink. You are in control of your future. You are going to beat this and the Beast and you AV won't control you. Hang in there you can do it and remember what TS says..."any day alcohol free is a great day" I love that saying.
9 years ago 0 55 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Sprout, don't beat yourself up over this.  Keep up the fight with the same determination you maintained for the first 6 days of your journey, you are even more wise now!  Many of the people are here on this wonderful website because one is one too many, I know I am.  The devil/beast is very greedy and will trick you into feeding its only desire; MORE alcohol.  For me, moderation was just too moderate.  I agree with your statement; "I have to do this for myself", but I disagree with; "I have to do this by myself".  You have family, friends, and the support of a whole community here to help you along.  Stay with it, you are much stronger than alcohol's desire.  And continue to tell yourself "I'll never drink again".  You and others here at AHC has inspired me to stay sober for the past week (thank-you!).
Hi Ashley,
Thank you for your concern, I made it through Friday, although the 'beast' was very angry, Saturday I went to help my mom with garage sale, then afterwards 'treated' myself to an 8pack of my Keystone light. Talked myself into I can drink one night a week on the weekend. Beast said 'that's not so bad, then you will have something to look forward to each week' Needless to say come Sunday, it was another 6 pack, then few hours later another 6 pack. So once again I wake up Monday morning to another hangover. I am very disappointed in myself and my kids are disappointed as well. Lesson learned I hope, I am not one of those who can 'cut back'
So here I am again, only was able to last 6 days, trying to stay positive, day 1 of  I'll never drink again!
This is harder than I thought and Jakelad, no AA is not an option for me I live in a small town, with kind of a sensitive job and an elderly mother that I have disappointed so much already in my past. I have to do this by myself for myself. That is why I was so happy to find this anonymous site.
Sprout

Reading this thread: