Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-20 2:48 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.755 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,698 Members

Please welcome our newest members: CBEA KATRINA, LLYKA, aseprodi, KaydeeChy, VLOVELY KEITH

Day #1

11 years ago 0 272 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Tim,

Welcome.   This is a good site with lots of helpful information in it.   Congratulations on making the decision to change the way you've been drinking.   It's tough, especially at first, but it's really worthwile.   I think your idea of going to work out after work to get rid of stress instead of drinking, is a really good idea, as it replaces a bad habit with a what will hopefully become a healthy habit.     I like to that you want to be there 100% for your kids when you have them - that's got to be great motivation. 

Keep us posted on how it's going.

splitimage

11 years ago 0 325 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi and welcome...It is a hard thing to do, the cutting back or the totally stopping drinking. I entering my 3rd week and have had a few steps backwards but keep getting up and starting all over again. You will find we all have our slips and it helps to acknowledge them here with a great support group standing by you. So good luck and stay tuned in...
11 years ago 0 161 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome, Tim. I joined yesterday. Good decision. And I agree it's tough when family members encourage you to keep drinking. I get that message too.

Ride your own ride on this one. Don't feel like you have to keep up to anyone else's pace. Good luck with the next few days, and beyond.
11 years ago 0 45 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome Tim, Congratulations on the decision. It's definitely a tough decision to make, when that is part of your lifestyle. I made my choice one week to the day (last Monday was my decision to stop as well) So it's going to be a challenge but everyone on this site has been awesome, supportive and the tools that are provided here are invaluable. Use them every chance you get, especially when urges come about. Congratulations as well at the decision to get your family started.
11 years ago 0 11218 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome Tim!

Congratulations on making the choice to cut down. It sounds like you are in a really good mindset to start this. You have the support and the motivation. This is so important. Now you will need to inform yourself. The more information you have the better prepared you will be to handle any craving or trigger. Read through the program carefully and search the forums. Reward yourself for completing sessions and achieving goals.

This won't be easy but you can certainly do it with the right motivation, support and information. Be honest with yourself, your wife and this community. Talk about how you are feeling and your urges - it is all part of the learning process. If you are concerned about withdrawal symptoms you may want to talk to a Doctor as sometimes withdrawal should be monitored.

A great thing about this community is that it makes you accountable so be sure to keep us updated on your progress. How else can we help you reach your goals? How can you ensure you stay committed to your goals and this community?

Ashley, Health Educator
11 years ago 0 1 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Everyone,

I would like to begin by acknowledging the strength and inspiration I have seen in reading a number of posts so far...this is very encouraging to see.
Being my first day in this program, I feel strong (it was a tough weekend). I cannot continue like this. My most wonderful wife is constantly upset at me - and I can't blame her. As such, I am upset and disappointed in myself. I am hurting the thing (person) I love most in this world with my drinking. My wife and I have very recently had discussions about family planning and we have decided that we are going to try to have our first child this Fall. I don't want my kids to grow up with a father (wow that word used in first-person tense is frightening) who is not giving them 100%. My dad gave my 98%. He is a great man with a great heart and loves and takes care of his family. He was/is a great father. But he had a drinking problem throughout my entire childhood and he still has one to this day. I have always been very close with my dad and for years I have gone to his place to have some drinks with him and chat and laugh. I cannot do this anymore. I will go visit during the day when he isn't drinking. He doesn't think I have a problem so this will be difficult. I work in downtown Toronto and have a very very high-stress job, which doesn't help matters. As a matter of fact, ever since I have moved into this industry things have generally only got worse and worse as I come home an unload my stress with wine (used to be hard liquor but I had to quit that). As a way to get rid of my stress I will be going to the GoodLife gym that is only  5-minute walk from my house (I have already joined). I don't know what else to say - this is me! Or should I say this is the NEW me. Everyone always told me I was a "funny, happy drunk - the life of the party". A happy drunk is still a drunk. It's time to grow up and drink much much less. I am going to avoid social situations where alcohol is around so that I need not have even one drink (as difficult as that is in my industry). I want to test myself to see if I've got the guts. I feel strongly that I will succeed. I know I will have my wife on my side to help.

Best wishes and lots of strength to everyone !

Tim

Reading this thread: