Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 9:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.750 posts in 47.055 threads.

160,537 Members

Please welcome our newest members: BXAMUELLE CHRISTIEN, Heinz57, eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima

First day on the site

11 years ago 0 10 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Fran I'm new too. And I can say that this site has really opened how I see my relationship with alcohol. Good luck with your journey. I realised this week that I can no longer have one drink. I can't control it. It's like something gets switched off in my mind when I have that first drink. So I bought one of those mini bottles of wine the other evening - which worked. But really I am finding have nothing to drink at all is easier than having a drink, even a small drink. not sure where you are at with this.
11 years ago 0 51 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I'm Fran. Hi everyone. Live with a sick parent for last 5 years. I have always enjoyed a drink but it has gotten out of hand in last year. I have cut down this month but feel like I am 'white knuckling it'. Glad I found this sight, it's encouraging to read about other people working at getting a grip on this drinking business. Thanks for being there.
11 years ago 0 100 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Yeah my friends are all drinkers too and I thought I was in a pretty normal range until I did the "check your drinking" survey and got a huge shock. I guess it's kind of like if you hang around people who only listen to opera because you love it and then realize that most or the "average" person does not like opera. I think we often surround ourselves with like minded people. Whether or not it's normal, I really do not like the consequences of binge drinking and for me it was worth changing that even if it's awkward with some of the party gang.
11 years ago 0 3 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
 It was a total shock to discover that more women don't generally drink like I do.. Really?  Cause all my friends drink (not problem drinkers) but for sure we all enjoy drinking... I do think Im the second hardest drinker amonst my friends however.

Anyways, time to evaluate the whole thing cause even my daughter says I drink more than normal women do.
11 years ago 0 1853 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Gertie,

I'm glad you feel comfortable to share on the AHC forums.  As you can see, there are many wonderful supportive members who have had similar experiences with alcohol addiction.

marylizy posed a really good question and that is what is at the root of your drinking habit?  Is there something you are dealing with in your life that is overwhelming you?  For many drinking is an escape from dealing with important or serious issues.  Would you say this is true for you?

Vincenza, Health Educator
11 years ago 0 325 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Gertie
Glad you are posting and being honest. That is such a hard thing to do but we are all in the same boat and so supportive, non judgmental and just good listeners... so don't be afraid to say what you are feeling. Sounds like your therapy session was not a big help. My mother and father were alcoholics. I think that is the case for a lot of us here, not all though I am sure. I have gone to AA but only when a judge made me after my 1st DUI ( I have had 2 ). Do not think it is something I would be comfortable doing on a regular basis. It has helped many so I am not saying a thing against it but to each his own. Please do not be ashamed. That is so negative and self defeating. It may be something else you are ashamed of that might be causing you to drink. Just a thought.  as that could be my case...Have one of the great counselors here comment on that thought. Just coming here is a big step...Please read our MOGA and SOGA posts. You will understand more of all of our problems with alcohol. Have a safe weekend...

I agree. I think I am so ashamed about the drinking I just can't tell anyone or ask for help about the drinking. I saw a therapist and I just couldn't tell her I was drinking though. My mother was alcoholic - but a nice one - . Anyway, I am going to see if I can just control the alcohol myself. The thought of AA is not appealing. Thanks so much.
11 years ago 0 11215 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Gertie,

It sounds like you may have been self medicating to relieve the grief. Have you ever thought about talking to a grief counsellor or counsellor in general? I have a feeling you may need to get some feelings out and deal with them. Learning how to cope with very hard feelings without alcohol is so important to getting through this. 

As I am sure you know alcohol may make it feel better for awhile but in the end it really makes you feel worse. Not only because it is a depressant but also because you are continually repressing feelings that need to be addressed in other ways.

What do you think? 

Ashley, Health Educator
11 years ago 0 234 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Gertie,

Welcome,

Keep in touch, read some posts.

- PjH
I actually can't believe I am doing this. I mean it's real. My mom died rather suddenly two years ago in a few weeks and I just started drinking more then. I guess I just don't understand why I can't stop. I spoke to my sister today who struggles with a sugar addiction and when she described how she felt when she had sugar I went "gosh! I feel that with a drink... calm and happy and a semblance of confidence that things will work out". I don't feel I am someone else when I drink yet I can't stop. what has happened? I don't understand.

Reading this thread: