Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,632 Members

Please welcome our newest members: GCAJULAO, RPABIA, TEBON, SJOLINE GEL, Duncan Brown

Best and worst day of my life

14 years ago 0 35 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Well, after only 2 days (had drinks both days), I can tell that intentions are one thing and actions another. And that goals...well, may be too lofty sometimes, especially at the beginning when I'm desperate and excited to change? My rewards were playing/walking the dog and reading a book - but I think now these might be more strategies (what to do instead of drinking). The toolbox talks a lot about goals, how they are different for everyone, how they might change over time. I'm already wondering if I should make my short-term goals more realistic - like a certain number of drinks (2, and DONT move on to 3, 4..e.i. don't get wasted), and don't ever drink while working on the job. Would that still be progress or am I making excuses already!?
14 years ago 0 557 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome Keesu,

As you say, the hardest is to admit it to ourself and to our love one.

Courage

Hors controle
14 years ago 0 11216 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Great work Keesu!

I love how you sound so upbeat and positive.  How do you plan on maintaining this mindset?

It is amazing that your husband is being so supportive.  Give him a big hug and a thank you for us.  This support will help you immensely. 

Remember that rewards are important motivational tools.  When will you be giving yourself your first reward and what will the reward be?

Ashley, Health Educator
Thanks for the warm welcome, Ashley.
My goal is to quit completely, since once I start I just want to keep going. However, I'm allowing myself the opportunity a little bit only if needed to quiet any physical withdrawal symptoms. When/if that happens, I will get a small amount through my husband - he is the keeper of my bottle now. No more hiding it from him. I shared with him that I joined AHC...he was so pleased and supportive. I'm looking forward to practicing the First Two Week strategies. :-)

-Keesu
14 years ago 0 11216 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome Keesu,

I know you can do this.  Make this be the day your life gets back on track.  You deserve to be sober and enjoy and be present in every day of your life.  We will be here for you every step of the way.

What is your plan; are you cutting back or stopping altogether?

Ashley, Health Educator
The reason this might be the best day is that I'm finally admitting I cannot handle this problem by myself and am seeking help - perhaps the hardest thing I've ever done. Over the years I've become a daily closet drinker, and am at the brink of losing a very good job of 17 years, and my husband and best friend of 28 years. I'm miserable and scared to death. I don't know how I could have let this happen. But I'm ready to try my best, this time with help.

Reading this thread: