Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,635 Members

Please welcome our newest members: RBARDAJE, CuppaJo, GCAJULAO, RPABIA, TEBON

lost control

14 years ago 0 251 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Bella,

I just want to welcome you to the site. I read through this forum and it was great to hear the changes you are going to make in your life. I think that you have definitely made the first step and are on your way to a "better" you. Or better yet, going back to that fun and energetic version of you. Either way, I just want you to know that we are here for you and we are listening. Please post as much as you need to.

Ray
14 years ago 0 11216 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Bella,

I think that is an amazing idea!  It could even be a good idea to write a goodbye letter to the addiction/behaviour.  Write about what you will miss, what you won't miss, if and why you are angry, why you have to say goodbye and anything else you think is important.  Writing a letter to yourself and or the addiction would be great therapeutic tool.

If you felt comfortable to share it here or on your blog that would be great!  Keeping it with you would also be a great idea.  Good thinking!

Another idea, have you ever heard of s vision board?  A vision board is a board made of images, words and other things that help you really visualize what you want in your life.  People who make them may spend a few minutes a day focusing, visualizing and meditating on the board.  You would be amazed at the results.  Do a quick search and see if it would be something you would be interested in doing.

Members, what are your suggestions?

Ashley, Health Educator
14 years ago 0 10 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I don't know really what I could do.  Maybe I  could make a list or a letter to myself of why i need to change or what i dislike about drinking etc.  Keep it in my wallet

When I want to drink or feel lack of motivation, i could read the letter i will write to myself.
Do you tink that could work?
That's great Bella!

You should be excited!  You have so much to look forward to.  This change won't be easy but it will be probably one of the most important changes you make in your life.  You will be healthier, stronger, healthier and so much more!

Making a plan will certainly be an important step.  Be sure to come here often to gain support and maintain for motivation.

If you do feel your motivation waning how do you plan on dealing with this?  It is very important to be prepared.

Ashley, Health Educator
Thank you and it's wierd but I all ready feel happy, almost like some stress is gone b/c I feel like I took the first step.  I am excited about my new life ahread that I will have control of.
Thanks for listening.
Bella,

Amazing the ideas that you arecoming up with.  I think all these ideas are great!  Talking to your husband I think will be very important.  Have you thought about how you would approach this discussion?

Starting a list of activities is also a great idea.  Cleaning the closet and bowlong is great. If we could brainstorm some ideas I am sure we could come up with more ideas! I will start a thread in the "Dealing with Urges" section so it will encourage more members to contribute to our list. 

I think looking at this list and then scheduling them into a weekly calendar will be great.  Scheduling rewards for staying on track will also help with motivation.

Ashley, Health Educator
I am going to look to my husband for support and tell him of my plans.  he will help but I have been hiding so much from him. I can admit I have a problem and tell him I need his help to change my life - our life.
a weekly list of things I would like to do accomplish duirng each week, things like cleaning out my closet, go bowling, I almost feel like I don't know what to do to keep myself occupied at home as I will need to stay home b/c my son will be in bed.  It has been so long and ever since my life change of becomming a Mom, i pretty mch started drinking right then, so it will be a huge change for me.  Something I will have to think about what I want to do in place of drinking that I will enjoy doing at home I guess??

Bella,

It sounds like you already have a good idea of what to do!  That is great. A one month plan would be an amazing start and help you get throug the toughest part.  I think the plan should include rewards as well!  Working in time to read the program and post here would also be a great way to keep on track and stay motivated.  How do you think you could set up a plan to keep busy so you are less tempted to drink?

Ashley, Health Educator
Keep myself busy, be outside and get fresh air and play wiht my son. 
After he goes to sleep is when I need to concentrate on as it will be the challenging time for me. 
Maybe I can go on support chat groups in the evenings or set a time I will run on the tred mill that would be a peak drinking time. 
If I have soemthign else to do I won't drink.  So, I found I stopped making plans or doing anything, so essentially all I had left to do was drink. 

Some people think that having a drink late at night or before bed can help soothe them or help them get to sleep better. This is not the case, while alcohol does bring on sleep more quickly, it disturbs sleep patterns and causes you to wake up during the night. You may try deep breathing exercises,meditation, or simply reading a book.  By relaxing yourself and your body, you will find your sleep to be less disturbed.

What sorts of small things will you start doing?  If you were to make up a plan on how to start just off the top of your head what would you do?

Ashley, Health Educator

Reading this thread: