Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,635 Members

Please welcome our newest members: RBARDAJE, CuppaJo, GCAJULAO, RPABIA, TEBON

Hello. I want to quit drinking.

14 years ago 0 2606 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
orangecatlover,

The e-mail support is really great, in addition to the online tools, here are some other suggestions to help you stick to your goal:

Talk to Others: Think about who you could talk to for advice or support. It’s important to find someone that you can talk to while you make changes to your drinking. Consider friends, relatives, professionals in your community, your health care professional, a favourite teacher or profession, a respected colleague, a church leader – or anyone who you can trust and wants you to succeed. If you’d like to remain anonymous, simply join us here in the discussion forums.

Hear What Others Are Doing: Find out about groups in your community that meet regularly to share ideas about changing, contact an addictions agency or find a family service that’s right for you. You don’t have to register to read posts in our Online Support Group – so feel free to browse the Support Group and see what strategies are working for different people.  
It Helps to Talk to a Counsellor: Professionals who are trained in addictions counselling can help you achieve your goal. They are trained to listen without judging and help you understand what’s happening with your body and your emotions. They can also put you in touch with other resources.

It is important to be prepared for moments of weakness, and having the urge to drink. Knowing this, what is your game plan?

Samantha, Health Educator
14 years ago 0 9 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

Thank you Rayoflight and Samantha!  I woke up this morning feeling really good.  I signed up for the email support and I liked reading it this morning.

The thing I am most worried about is sticking to my goal, which is not to drink ever again.  It's not the amount of alcohol as much as the WAY I drink that I find so disturbing.  I mean, when I was a kid and thinking about my future, it did NOT include sitting in my bedroom with a bottle of plonk every day, escaping from reality.

14 years ago 0 251 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi orangecatlover,

Welcome to the site! I am fairly new here (1 month or so) and I would just like to say I am sure glad i found it. Since being here I've made so many realizations about the person I was being. Alcohol was destroying friendships, my relationship, my happiness and so many other things. It has been really hard, I used to depend on it to get through a weekend. Reading the forums, going through the program has really made a difference. You have come to the right place, trying to do things on our own isn't always the best option, reach out and do this! You are worth it!

Ray  

14 years ago 0 2606 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi orangecatlover,

I'd like to welcome you to our wonderful support community and also thank you for sharing your story with us. 
Start working through program, a big component of it is learning about yourself so you can better understand your addiction.
Some people find that taking a break from drinking for a while really helps them get control of their alcohol use.
Start reading through the forums. I think you'll find there are many people out there you can relate to. The forum is also full of tips and will offer you the wisdom of many diverse experiences in relation to alcohol addiction.

Check back soon and let us know how you're doing. We're always here to answer any questions you may have or to provide you with some feedback. 

Samantha, Health Educator
14 years ago 0 9 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi.  I have been a heavy drinker for years.  I don't drink every day but I usually drink alone.  I don't think anyone knows how much I drink.  I can't drink moderately for any length of time, I always end up drinking the entire bottle of red wine.  I want to quit completely.  My dear friend was just diagnosed with terminal cancer which gave me the excuse to get drunk last night.  I don't want to go through this crisis drinking.  I don't want to be so unhealthy, either.  My sick friend is a recovering alcoholic, 30 years sober, but he couldn't quit cigarettes.  When I drink I usually smoke, too, about 5 cigs a day. 

The longest I have gone without a drink is one and a half weeks.  I feel like I've tried kicking this on my own and it doesn't work, so I'm here.  Thank you for reading.

Reading this thread: