Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,526 Members

Please welcome our newest members: eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH

Here Again and in need of help...

11 years ago 0 252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
BG,

keep on posting.  I find it is another little motivator to focus.

Take care,

Rob
11 years ago 0 11214 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Good for you for diving right into the process BG. It takes courage.

It is tough to take control of alcohol but it sounds like you really want this and have a lot to gain from doing this. Keep posting and keep focused on why you are doing this. You'll get there. Looking at weaknesseds and challenging them is a big part of leading a full life.

You have lots to look forward to I hope soon the sweet starts to outweigh the bitter

Ashley, Health Educator
11 years ago 0 11 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks Rob, foxman and Ashley! 
Had a few glasses of wine last night. No hangover. A few tonight but not on the 'rampage'. Most importantly I've been facing a lot of truths and doing a lot of soul searching. Your question is a good one Ashley and in many respects simply just being able to pen these thoughts is doing the world of good. Life without alcohol dependence? I would hope it would give me more energy for my boy, less anxiety, less turbulence, a sense of being a more honest person. I'd like to lose weight, give up smoking and be generally more healthy. My relationship with my partner would probably improve. Most of all I would like to be creative again. That's a big factor. I want to create. Sadly so many artists equate drug abuse or depression with creativity but it's not always the case at all. I'll dig into the resources here in the next few days. Thank you. It's a bittersweet thing being here. Good to admit weaknesses in life generally but also makes you realise things are tough. 
11 years ago 0 11214 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi BG,

I am sorry to hear all that you have had to go through. You are clearly a very strong person for continuing to fight this. I am glad you found us as now we can help you fight - you don't have to go through this alone.

First thing is to find as much information as you can in order to prepare yourself. Read the program, search the forums and begin tracking your cravings in the diary. Try to check in here daily. What is your first goal going to be for this week? Are you planning on complete abstinence or are you cutting back?

To get you thinking we often ask lots of questions. Please try to reflect on them but you only have to respond to them if you are comfortable. For today, how would your life be different if alcohol were no longer a problem?

Ashley, Health Educator
11 years ago 0 252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
BG,

I joined the AHC last week.  After years of going it alone with these issues I finally realised I needed additional help.  The fact that I am here (and you) has got to be positive.

We all have a lot of little decisions to make every day of our lives.  They say take one day at the time.  I am working on one little decision at the time.

I hope all your little decisions today go well.

Rob09
11 years ago 0 1562 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome back BG. About six years ago I sobered up when I entered the fellowship of AA. They said, i will have to change because the same me will drink again. The 12 steps of AA transforms us and provides us a defense against all our problems. Not that we wont have problems, but we will tap into a resource that will help you go through life without a need to put something in our body. I have gone through parents death, accidents and other situations which used to baffle me but with AA there is a sense of comfort/serenity I have never experienced before. Hope you reach upto members from AA in your area.
11 years ago 0 11 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I'm back again - I was here about 5 years ago. I am writing on a Monday morning with a fierce hangover and a looming sense of guilt and failure and the recognition that I have a huge problem and it needs addressing. So I'm back. My goal is to stop drinking for a month and re-assess then. Really I should probably aim to give up completely but the thought is overwhelming and scary. So small steps for now.

I drink most nights - wine is my vice. I drink about 1.5 bottles per night and have spent much of the last 6 months lurching (very successfully from an outside perspective) through life with vicious hangovers and a sense of anxiety, deceit and shame. When I look back at my drinking I guess I've always had a problem, but times of hardship and depression seem to be when I hit it the hardest. In the last 6 months, I have been drinking to cope (funnily enough it makes everything harder but I think that's my 'excuse'). I have been through post natal depression, thyroid disease, working a very stressful job without childcare, my best friend, mother and partner have all been diagnosed with cancer (all for the moment OK but continuously stressful), a sibling in trouble with the law, cousin and fiancee in very serious car accident and an old family friend committed suicide. On top of that I struggle being a full-time Mum with no family support around us (a matter of location). So times are very hard... and drinking, while I THINK it helps, is just making it harder for me to process all of what's going on. Excuse the pitiful rant here - just trying to get it all down and understand what the relationship is between grief, stress and my drinking.

I also want to add that I think I'm an excellent Mum (my drinking does affect my energy levels and patience, but I force myself to keep very active and engaged). My partner doesn't drink much at all, and when he's not home I won't drink as much as I'm aware of my responsibility should my child become ill. When he's home though I just go for broke. I don't seem to have that mental mechanism that stops me from drinking once I've had a few. This is what makes me wonder if I'd ever be able to drink responsibly....??? It's also been a vocational hazard since I was in my early 20s. I'm a musician and drinking has always been part of the scene.

All in all, I'm scared of my drinking and scared of stopping at the same time. I'm emotionally exhausted. I'm scared of facing what's going on in my life without alcohol but I know I need to. I need some encouragement... and I want to focus on how good life could be if I got out of this drinking pattern. I'd love to hear how life has changed since some of you gave up???

I hope I can get through this with the help of this community...

Reading this thread: