Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,635 Members

Please welcome our newest members: RBARDAJE, CuppaJo, GCAJULAO, RPABIA, TEBON

I want to introduce myself and get help.

14 years ago 0 251 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
You are right, there is no judging here Lee. We are all dealing with a similar devil, and we all know him a little too well. But luckily with each others support we learn how to say no and no thanks! Check in soon!

Ray

14 years ago 0 151 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Lee AA is free (well sort of) its donation based to those that can afford it (we like to say people pay their dues before they come to us). It might be a good place to go so you don't feel alone I find alot of comfort in being around peopl that really understand what I feel like. Free counselling is also out there. I live in a small city in Ontario and we have an government funded addictions center here that offers free alcohol counselling.
14 years ago 0 11216 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Lee,

LOL no I guess we are not looking at you but I know what you mean

This support group is an amazing place and you being here helps more people then you realize as well!  We will always be right here.

Finding free counselling may be tricky but not impossible.  A few ideas is to ask at a community centre.  They may have an in-house counsellor or may be able to refer you in the right direction.  I am also not sure but could universities provide free counselling for training benefits?  Please let us know what you find out.  Members, any other ideas?

Please keep us updated.

Ashley, Health Educator
14 years ago 0 3 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks so much guys. Even though I know I have a support system I feel extremely alone right now and hearing you guys helps me more than I can even say. This might be a silly question, but I'd like to find some free one on one counseling. I've never done this before so any suggestions anyone has on where to look or what to look for, would be really helpful. Like everyone else, I've lost relationships and friendships in the past because of drinking and the idea of finding new friends in all this mess gives me a little more hope for myself. It's just really good to not feel judged or to get that "you failed again" look. Not that you guys are looking at me. 
14 years ago 0 251 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Lee,

Welcome to the site, we are all in the same sorta boat here and we are here to support each other through this tough journey. Post anytime you have any questions and to share what you are going through. I can say from personal experience I have had some really shameful nights with my friends and boyfriend. I've done some really stupid things and said some mean things, i;ve lost friends and almost lost my boyfriend on several occasions. I finally realized one day that I was not ready to lose him, I'd rather be with him and never drink again. For now I choose to avoid alcohol altogether (one day i might be able to limit myself).In the beginning no one believed that I was serious, but now that I proved myself, my friends and boyfriend all support me and never ask why I'm drinking "virgin" ceasers or just soda. We can do this Lee!

your new friend, Ray  

14 years ago 0 2606 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Lee,

Thank your for sharing your experience with us, .
Everyone needs help now and then - especially when they try something new. Remember, changing your drinking isn’t any different. Other people who have successfully gone through the same process share a few things in common.

In regards to situations where you are going out with your friends, before heading off to the festivities have a goal set. Ex: I will only have 2 glasses of wine today.
To meet your goal, come up with strategies such as:
* If I am tempted to keep drinking beyond my goal, I will leave or remove myself momentarily from the situation.
* I will remind myself of the benefits of reducing my consumption.
* I will reward myself for meeting my goal with...
* I will decrease my portions. Instead of having a full glass, I will have half a glass.
* Space out your drinks: generally recommended 1 per hour
* Alternate with water or other alternatives such as soda in between your drinks. You can also ask the bartender to include more mix than alcohol in your drink.
* Keep hydrated at the bar and when you get home.
* Learn how to say no thanks the corporate way: as the evening wears on or if you've reached your goal, switch to non-alcoholic drinks. If anyone asks site an early meeting or other engagement.

If you need more strategies on dealing with urges and meeting your drinking goal be sure to work through our program tools.

We are here for you through this time, check back soon to update us.

Samantha, Bilingual Health Educator

14 years ago 0 3 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I've been visiting the site for a few months now after a particularly bad night of binge drinking. It was my friend's wedding and I blacked out before about halfway through the night and ended up yelling at my boyfriend who was just trying to help me walk and help me into a cab. Every couple of months I go way too overboard. I always think I can have just one more until I wake up the next morning to find my boyfriend sleeping on the couch and no recollection of what I did to make him sleep there. I got really crazy on Halloween. I just got so angry and couldn't control it and I don't even know why. The rest I can't remember. When I woke up my boyfriend was really angry, and for the first time, I thought was really considering ending our relationship. I love him so much and the idea of losing him because of my drinking really scares me. I am so ashamed of myself and how I act when I drink. I keep trying to go out and just not drink so much and be like everyone else and have a good time. I even get scared before going out because I'm scared that each time could be a time when it gets out of hand. I wish so much that I could be normal. I'm starting to realize that I'm not normal. I know I need to quit drinking and I'm scared I won't be able to do it.

Reading this thread: