Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,635 Members

Please welcome our newest members: RBARDAJE, CuppaJo, GCAJULAO, RPABIA, TEBON

Quit for 4 days, just booked a dream vacation in 1 month. Will I be able to enjoy it?

9 years ago 0 5 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Travelling is wonderful.. You will not face any problem and it will even take you away from smoking..
9 years ago 0 24 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Good advice I would suggest travelling to someone who likes to travel just avoid the triggers , you need to live your life you quit for that very reason, I quit drinking too and guess what I still have fun and after awhile I was able to go to a bar and not smoke or drink , good luck
9 years ago 0 11216 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Breezy816,

How are you feeling today? Have you had a chance to check the program out yet?

Ashley, Health Educator
9 years ago 0 1140 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Breezy816,

First of all, congratulations on your first few days.

Second, in regards to temptation on your trip, I have a few thoughts.

1) If drinking is a trigger for smoking, you might want to avoid drinking for a while. You can still have plenty of fun on vacation without drinking. When I first quit, I was scared to drink for a while. When I finally tried it a few times, I actually discovered that I just didn't like drinking as much as I did before. My theory is that I was getting more intoxication value from the smoking binge that went with the drinks. So now I don't drink so much, and that's fine. Gives me more time to enjoy life in other ways. 

2) You might be able to flip the reasoning about travel and smoking. When I was in the quit process, I actually detox'd from nicotine earlier than I had planned. Why? Because I knew I was going to be on a plane to a foreign country, and I wasn't sure if I would have access to nicotine lozenges. I also didn't want to risk relapsing into smoking and then dealing with having to find places and times to smoke while travelling. (Travel by plane can be a real pain, in terms of trying to get regular smokes in between flight legs, finding the smoker's area if there is one, etc.). So, long story short is that I was happy to be able to travel without nicotine. It was empowering and freeing to not have to answer the call of the Nico-demon for the first time in years.

3) oh, and when your smoking friends light up, just leave the area. Don't stand around, sniffing up the fumes and hoping for a secondhand hit.  Just let them smoke while you enjoy your meal, a book, the view, etc.  (Carrying mints and something to read and/or do with your hands while waiting can be helpful, too.)

Good luck to you. i hope that you will be able to treat this trip as a reward for your quit efforts when it arrives.  
  • Quit Meter

$22,629.10

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 604 Hours: 22

Minutes: 39 Seconds: 5

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

9 years ago 0 2 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I have attempted to quit and gone passed the three-day initial cold turkey period about 10 times in the last year. Here I am again, made it successfully four days with zero nicotine. BUT, I just booked a great vacation to Mexico, all-inclusive luxury vacation with boyfriend and friends for a wedding. I want to stay nicotine free, because these first few days are so hard, but I also want to enjoy my vacation. I know 30 days in I will still really be fighting the urge and there will be drinking and lots of fun in the sun (and first private hotel patio since I've been smoking!). I have so much anxiety that I will quit for 30 days and slip and smoke with friends while there, so do I start over with no excuses upon my return? I know what the right answer is, but only smokers can understand how tough this really is. Any insight on fighting through unavoidable super cravings would really help!

Reading this thread: