Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,523 Members

Please welcome our newest members: mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH, ALAICA, JD7

Let the journey begin!

9 years ago 0 86 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
very helpful post. I hope that I will refer to this when times get difficult for me.
9 years ago 0 2534 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Feko?

• Quit Meter

$56,793.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1124 Hours: 20

Minutes: 38 Seconds: 33

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

9 years ago 0 93 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Feko. Are you still going strong ? John
9 years ago 0 1853 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Feko, 

Congratulations on taking the first steps to be smoke-free!
How has your journey been thus far?  What has been challenging for you and what has helped you succeed?  
I hope you've been coping well during a stressful time.  Please let us know how you're doing.

Vincenza, Health Educator
9 years ago 0 1140 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi and great to see you starting today.

Advice:
1) Whatever you do, don't smoke.  
2) Drink fruit juice. The acid in the juice, plus the liquid will help you to flush the nicotine out faster. And you want to flush the nicotine out, so that the physical craves will stop. It will also help you to maintain blood sugar levels, which can be disrupted by nicotine withdrawal.
3) Stay busy. It is good that you have studying to do. If you get tired of reading your school books, you can read this. http://whyquit.com/ffn/index.html (Copy and paste the link into your browser to get access to the electronic book. It will give you all kinds of pep talks and advice on quitting, especially in the first few days.)
4) If cravings are driving you nuts, time the the cravings. Most craves last less about 3 minutes (even though it can seem like hours). Reminding yourself that they are really only a few minutes at a time helps give you the willpower to get through them. Timing them also allows you to refocus your attention on something other than the actual crave. You can log them, too, if you like. This is useful for seeing how much they decrease later. 
5) Take short walks if it gets to be too much. You will breathe a little more deeply when you are out walking and this helps with the craves. It will also release some endorphins to help you to feel a little better. 
6) Allow yourself to sleep and eat as needed. Allow yourself to do whatever you need to do to feel comfortable. This will help to soothe some of the anxiety and serve as an early reward for those first few days.
7) Remember that the worst will be over within 3 days. All nicotine will be out of your system within 3 days or less, and you will feel a lot better when that happens.  
8) Check in here and post when you need to. Usually, you will find that your craving is gone by the time you are done posting here about it. If it's still not gone, wait for at least 3 replies before smoking. I guarantee that the urge will have gone by then. 
9) Don't smoke.  

Good luck to you! You can do this!  

• Quit Meter

$22,546.70

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 602 Hours: 16

Minutes: 41 Seconds: 19

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

9 years ago 0 4 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
"Every journey begins with the first step."

So true. So this journey begin today for me. The time here is 16:15 PM.

It's not easy, I know. I fear of the next days, beacuse I have to study for next week a lot, and I fear that I won't concentrate for that. So can you give me advice for "hell week"? Can you suggest some threads for me, which helped for you also?

Have a nice day everyone!

I speak Hungarian...
What's your superpower?  

Reading this thread: