Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,513 Members

Please welcome our newest members: AABBYGAIL RUTH, ALAICA, JD7, Ww12, Fwcl

How Do You Feel?

11 years ago 0 186 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Amanda.
Your Choice to Quit should be your first feel Good as it is the best decision you could make.
Everyones fight with the Nico Demon will vary as to when they feel better or normal just as one persons trigger
may be different than the others.
For me being prepared, positive and able to talk to myself are key tools in my quit.
The support on this site has been amasing even if it is just to come on and see how other people
deal with there triggers,how they cope with side affects or to get a high five for doing so well with your quit.
At first I felt very tired as I had trouble sleeping and my brain was doing more than double duty to convince
myself that I really did not want to smoke.When it does start to get easier and you notice a taste you had forgotten, more energy,
or someone tells you how nice you smell the rewards will continue to out weigh the hard times.
I came across a quote I like by Ralf Waldo Emerson " We aquire Strength we have overcome "
Wishing you Strength in your quit.
N.O.P.E. Sherry

11 years ago 0 2778 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Amanda,

It's normal to feel nervous and anxious just prior to the big day!  Keep going over your reasons for quitting and try to mentally psych yourself up!  Use positive self talk to think of all the positives!  Go in to this battle with the mind set that you are NOT going to lose even one battle with the dastardly nico-demon!  Keep your eyes focused on the prize and never look back!    Make your quit day a day of celebration!  Woo Hoo!

Oh, and reward your self for every little milestone and remember, every day without smoking IS a milestone!  You CAN do this!

Jim
  • Quit Meter

$44,257.50

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1059 Hours: 6

Minutes: 11 Seconds: 56

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

11 years ago 0 2 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks for the advice everyone. I think being on this site daily will help.  I have been reading up to stage 6.  Reading all the information on the site as well.  I only have two more days before my quit date and i feel nervous already.  I have been trying to cut down and delay smokes since last week.

Bye for now
Amanda
11 years ago 0 618 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Dear Amanda,

Have you done the programme here on site?  If not, I recommend it...it will help you plan out your quit.  I would repeat everything the others have said so far.

The thing is, each quit is very personal, and the results of quitting and the timescale are different for everyone.  Like Working On It, I saw gradual changes too, as I quit using all available aids.  Some say I simply prolonged the agony, but I did not find that...it made it a bit easier for me.  Many people hope to have a sudden 'conversion' experience, where they feel all the benefits at once.  I'm afraid this would be very unusual.

You have the physical withdrawal to deal with first, then the psychological and habitual take a longer time.  There is no doubt it is NOT easy, but it is doable.  Congratulations on the decision to quit.  Now get yourself ready to fight the battle, and I promise you will reap the benefits, but when, I'm afraid I don't know.

Stay strong and Whatever it takes, just don't smoke!!!

Love Lolly.  
11 years ago 0 1140 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Quiter1983, 

Congratulations on taking the first step in the quitting journey--choosing a date and starting to explore some questions.

I think the answer to when a person feels better varies from person to person. Some people experience dramatic changes. Sometimes those changes are for the worse at first; as the body cleanses and heals itself, hidden illnesses can become more apparent, healthy feelings might feel unusual or uncomfortable at first, etc. 

My change has been very gradual, and I suspect this had to do with my quitting process being very gradual. I was actually experiencing some positive effects before I'd had my last cigarette, since I had reduced smoking so much by then. So I didn't get the big, "Wow, I feel awesome!" But I didn't get the light headedness and bronchiospasm that some people get at the beginning, either. 
  • Quit Meter

$22,536.40

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 602 Hours: 10

Minutes: 40 Seconds: 2

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Hi again!

There is a great thread to read in the Coping with Cravngs Forum entitled "What to expect when you quit"  by Lainey.  It's a long, but great thread... go to the bottom of the thread and click page 3, start from the bottom up from past to present!  Maybe we'll get some other members to share their experiences, too!  What do you say, gang?

Have a great smoke-free weekend!

Jim
  • Quit Meter

$44,257.50

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Hey Amanda!!!

Welcome to the SSC and congrats on your decision to quit!  Everyone here will tell you what you already know... quitting is the BEST gift your could ever give to yourself, family and friends!!!  You WILL feel better and normal again... soon!  It IS going to take some time to reach that goal, but I promise you that you can attain it!  Your recovery begins after you commit and crush that last smoke!    Keep drilling it into your head that you want this quit MORE than you want to smoke, especially for the reasons you cited below!  You CAN do this and the more you repeat this to yourself the more it starts to sink in!  Psych yourself up for your forever quit!

I'm highly recommending that you go through all of the sessions in the Program (My Program) above and utilize the Tools, also!  Preparation for your quit is one of the keys to a successful quit!  Decide upon a NRT, if any any and continue to read and learn about this addiction here in the Forums and elsewhere on the web.  Also, you now have a bunch of new quit buddies here to ask questions of and provide support!  So stick close, read and learn and post often!  We're all rooting for you!

Jim
  • Quit Meter

$44,257.50

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

11 years ago 0 2 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Ive just recently joined and have a quit date of next friday. 

My main motivator is to feel better and normal again. I feel like hell every day!  Can anyone here tell me at what point did you start to feel better and how?   Breathe better, have more energy and no congestion?   I think knowing that I have that to look forward too would help me reach my goals a bit better. 

Anything will help! 
Thanks, Amanda

My Mileage:

My Quit Date: 11/01/2013
Smoke-Free Days: -6
Cigarettes Not Smoked: -78
Amount Saved: $-31.98
Life Gained:
Days: 0 Hrs: 0 Mins: 0 Seconds: -32354

Reading this thread: