Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,529 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Heinz57, eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou

Opinions about quitting with a spouse...

11 years ago 0 2778 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Hopeful2!!!

Welcome to the SSC and congrats to the both of you for deciding to quit smoking!  Many couples have successfully quit together and the main reason that they were successful is that they both wanted their quits MORE than they wanted to smoke!  Also, as I think was mentioned, you both have to really want this for yourselves more than anything.  Quitting is an individual thing.  You have to want it more than anything and dig down and commit to quitting!  You have to prepare mentally for and you have to believe in and live by N.O.P.E., Not One Puff Ever.  The key word being Ever!  So, start to psych yourself up for your forever quit!

I'd like to recommend that you both go through the milestones in the Program here and also use the tools!  This will help you to better prepare for quitting and staying quit!  This is not going to be easy for both of you doing it together, so try to maintain a Positive Mental Attitude going into your quit!  Negative thinking can be a catalyst for arguments and frustrations.  Oh, and if those craves do start to make the temper rise, promise yourselves to give each other a hug and a kiss and be supportive!  This could be one of the best times of your lives, or the absolute worse!  Make plans in advance to strive for the best! 

Read and learn and post if you have questions!  We're all rooting for both of you!

Jim

PS..... Rewards!!!  Achieve milestones and be sure to reward yourselves when you attain them!  YOU  CAN  DO  THIS!!!
  • Quit Meter

$44,295.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1060 Hours: 2

Minutes: 52 Seconds: 42

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

11 years ago 0 86 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks for your insight.  I was able to find a number of threads about the same topic that I found very helpful
11 years ago 0 11214 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Hopeful,

Great news that both you and your boyfriend are deciding to quit together! You have already received some great advice. What do you think will be important for you and your boyfriend to talk about or plan before your quit?

Quitting can be tough and you two may not be at your best. Remind eachother that at times you may be down right nasty but not to take it personally recognize you are both going through withdrawal. Also, recognize that you both are fighting an incredibly important battle so celebrate together often. How would you like to celebrate your first week quit with your boyfriend? Plan something special.

Ashley, Health Educator
11 years ago 0 153 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
My mother has smoked for 60 years and although I don't live with her, whenever I see her she often unintentionally tries to sabotage my quit by offering me one of her cigarettes because she feels sorry for me!!!  So I also believe that you really have to want this for yourself and set your own goals, although having some support is terrific too. Although my husband is supportive, he never smoked so he doesn't really get all the physical and emotional things we need to go through during the process. 
Thanks for sharing your experiences of yours and your friends.  I definitely am doing this for me and he is too...but we will see how it works out...I will keep you guys posted.
11 years ago 0 187 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi hopeful

Welcome to the group and congats on your decision to quit, it's the best decision you'll ever make!  My husband and I tried quitting together, but unfortunately it didn't work out.  We argued a lot and we were constantly ruining each other's quits and blaming it on each other.  I know, pretty childish, but we couldn't seem to make a go of it.  I had to realize that I was quitting for me, not him, and that I was going to quit, no matter what. We decided that I would quit first, get some time under my belt, and then he would try.  So far, so good, he's going on 4 weeks smoke free and I'm just over 3 months.  Everybody is different, you may find that going through the experience together to be more helpful?  Whatever you decide, good luck.  I found this the people here very supportive and there is lots of info available to help.
11 years ago 0 1140 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello and welcome to the support board.

I know that it's possible to do this, as my best friend and her husband quit at the same time. They told me that they shared their last cigarette on New Year's Eve several years ago. What they don't like to talk about is the 3 days of physical withdrawal that followed. I suspect that neither one was feeling all that friendly during that time.

I do think that they were both fortunate to be so committed to quitting and each other, since it usually doesn't work that way. I think it's important for each person to stay focused on his/her reasons for quitting, as opposed to hitching a wagon to the other person's star. If one of you should relapse, you don't don't want it to drag the other person back into smoking. 

Good luck to you both.  I hope you stay around, read, and post on your progress. 

• Quit Meter

$22,562.15

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 603 Hours: 2

Minutes: 31 Seconds: 36

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Hello...I am going to attempt to quit for the 1st time and hopefully last this month.  My boyfriend is also a smoker and he is attempting to quit too...Any thoughts about us attacking this demon together?  Any experiences?  Positives?  Thank you!!!

Reading this thread: