Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,529 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Heinz57, eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou

In the News: Quitting for your Pet's Sake!

14 years ago 0 1904 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I thought about the fact that I was killing my cat when I was smoking, especially when my cat would cough or sneeze. I thought she would grow up with asthma, so I bought four really good clean air machines. I haven't needed the machines since the middle of June, when the apartment started to smell like a non smoker lived in it. I may be insane, but I'm sure that my cat appreciates being able to walk into the living room and not suffocate. I know she notices the difference because at first, she was sniffing all the furniture and stuff like what's up. (I shampooed the carpet and upholstery, too.) And she doesn't spend as much time away from me in the bedroom.
My Milage:

My Quit Date: 5/1/2009
Smoke-Free Days: 103
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 2,884
Amount Saved: $1,117.55
Life Gained:
Days: 11 Hrs: 7 Mins: 56 Seconds: 4

14 years ago 0 955 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
A recent article from the American Veterinary Medical Association found that having a pet can also serve as a motivator when quitting smoking.

Research reports that smokers who are aware of the effect smoking has on their pets are more likely to quit. In addition, the study found that 40% of smokers would like to receive more information on quitting and the dangers associated with secondhand smoke. Perhaps we need to direct them to SSC!

Members, was your pet motivation for you to quit? How did your household animals affect your smoking habits?

You can find the full article and more information at: http://www.oregonlive.com/pets/index.ssf/2009/08/pets_may_help_people_quit_smok.html
  • Quit Meter

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 0 Hours: 0

Minutes: 0 Seconds: 0

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Reading this thread: