Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,529 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Heinz57, eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou

What is Champix/ Chantix?

14 years ago 0 916 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I consider Champix a great aid in the smoking cessation process.
I did experienced some side effects like constipation,gas and vivid dreams. But I really loved the vivid dreams; no nightmares at all.
I did experienced some nausea during the first week. I noticed it dissapeared if I took my champix with a full meal and a full glass of water.
I owe my quit to this site and a little bit on Champix.
Champix is just an aid  on the physical part of the addiction. Our commitment to stay quit is essential. I did experienced nicotine withdrawl symptoms. I guess they were milder, but I can't tell.
Thank you Sarah
Marivi

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 1/23/2009
Smoke-Free Days: 139
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 2,085
Amount Saved: $208.50
Life Gained:
Days: 15 Hrs: 18 Mins: 56 Seconds: 35

14 years ago 0 8 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
i tried champix 3 times over a 6 month period. each time after a few days i developed pain in my right side. gallbladder or kidney area. stopped taking it & pain went away in a few days. this happened 3 times. now i'm on the patch.
14 years ago 0 42 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
It works, you have to want to quit and help yourself, after about two weeks or so the side effects wear off and you settle in, most people say their dreams are terrific and very vivid, a small few do have nightmares. I think it all depends on your attitude. If you really want to quit and you are ready it can work for you. Remember to drink lots of water with this drug and if you take with food the nauseous effect is lowered considerably. Sleep as much as you can in the first two weeks while your body adjusts to the drug. I took two weeks off and slept 18 hrs a day.  Talk to your Doctor and good luck.

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 10/17/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 230
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 5,750
Amount Saved: $1,840.00
Life Gained:
Days: 32 Hrs: 11 Mins: 35 Seconds: 29

14 years ago 0 955 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Here is some general information on Champix.  It is important that you talk to your doctor and pharmacist about this medication.

Champix is a prescribed quit aid that does not contain nicotine. It comes in tablet form in 2 dosage levels: 0.5 mg (white) and 1 mg (light blue).

How it works:

Champix works by relieving craving and withdrawal symptoms that individuals experience when they quit smoking. It is believed to work by stimulating the same areas of the brain that are stimulated when one inhales nicotine. It acts like a weaker version of nicotine and also blocks nicotine from getting to the nicotine receptor.

Since Champix may take awhile to build up within your system, you start taking it before you quit smoking. People usually start on one 0.5 mg pill a day (days 1 - 3), then move to one 0.5 mg pill twice daily (days 4 - 7), and then two 1 mg tablets a day for days 8 to the end of treatment. When two pills are taken daily, one is taken in the morning and the other in the evening.

It's important to set a quit date before you start taking Champix. The quit date should be during the second week of treatment (between day 8 and day 14). You can keep smoking prior to your quit date, however continuing to smoke, after your quit date, will reduce your chances of successfully quitting smoking.

Champix is usually taken for 12 weeks. However, your doctor may recommend that you stay on it longer. It costs about $5/day. Champix is not recommended if you're pregnant or breastfeeding or for use in children under 18 years of age.

Taking Champix in combination with other smoking-cessation therapies (e.g. patch, gum or inhaler) has not been studied and is therefore not recommended.

The most common side effects are:

Nausea, vomiting, trouble sleeping, headache, abnormal dreams, constipation and gas.

If you have any problems, it's best to talk to your Doctor who may reduce your dose temporarily or make other recommendations.

In case of an allergic reaction or unexpected effects, stop taking Champix and call your doctor or pharmacist.
  • Quit Meter

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 0 Hours: 0

Minutes: 0 Seconds: 0

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Reading this thread: