Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,498 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Fwcl, anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA

Benefits of Yoga, Meditation & Tai Chi

15 years ago 0 1890 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
BTW, Rusty, I will try just stretching a bit more from the sitting position... rolling the ankles (bad) and flexing the knees ( not so bad) - at a pinch I can still touch my toes several times from a standing position...
P

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 1/18/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 151
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 3,775
Amount Saved: $1,698.75
Life Gained:
Days: 28 Hrs: 3 Mins: 19 Seconds: 15

Hey, Rusty, - There's a hell of a lot of stress in chronic pain... mine has just been elevated a notch or two since I saw my doctor and he tells me that I'm looking at kidney damage... when I got home I went on the internet to see what my Arthrotec was doing to me and, sure enough, it says that Arthrotec (any NSAID) is contraindicated for kidney failure situations ... now I'm less mobile than with the NSAID - and I have tried aspirin and immediate release morphine in the morning and they're only good for about 3 hours... now, I don't want to take any more and I'm still waiting for the doctor to tell me what he can do in terms of analgesia since I'm off the Arthrotec... very stressful -- it messes up any notiuons I have had about Tai Chia, Yoga and swimming - it's just too painful... I have to grit my teethe to get the shopping done... what a crazy dilemma... I guess I'll have to switch to Continuous Release morphine tablets to stay mobile... 

I'm waiting for a miracle phone call from the doctor to tell me he has a solution for me... but none of this misery will make me smoke again...

Patrick

My Milage:

Smoke-Free Days: 151
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 3,775
Amount Saved: $1,698.75
Life Gained:
Days: 28 Hrs: 3 Mins: 18 Seconds: 41

15 years ago 0 598 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
that's fab Karren,
Go a little early and talk to the instructor before class about your knee problems and any other limitations that you have. I can not do some of the poses because I broke my left wrist last year and lost alot of mobility; but I do my best and it is helpful to me. You will love it!

new me

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 5/26/2007
Smoke-Free Days: 388
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 9,700
Amount Saved: $2,425.00
Life Gained:
Days: 54 Hrs: 2 Mins: 44 Seconds: 40

15 years ago 0 1080 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi newme I have been considering Yoga for some time but as I am not very sporty or fit I was a bit wary of whether I would manage it? I can't do aerobics due to poor old knee probs so I was looking at something more gentle. After reading your posts I have decided to give it a go-will let you know how I get on.
My Milage:

My Quit Date: 5/10/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 38
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 950
Amount Saved: $570.00
Life Gained:
Days: 4 Hrs: 12 Mins: 13 Seconds: 13

15 years ago 0 136 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
DL, I also have arthritis and I have found stretching to be of great benefit. I have a couple of dvds that have stretches, and I feel quite wonderful after I have done one.

Rusty

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 12/13/2004
Smoke-Free Days: 1279
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 65,229
Amount Saved: $14,676.53
Life Gained:
Days: 114 Hrs: 3 Mins: 3 Seconds: 16

I just met an old pal in the supermarket who told me that he goes swimming in the Town Pool every Wednesday evening for two hours - most of that time spent in the hot tub and the sauna... I think I'll give it a whirl next Wednesday....
    I will ask around then about Tai Chi for osteoarthritis or Yoga.....

P

My Milage:

Smoke-Free Days: 148
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 3,700
Amount Saved: $1,665.00
Life Gained:
Days: 27 Hrs: 13 Mins: 16 Seconds: 7

15 years ago 0 1693 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
new me,

I'm glad to hear that you are going to yoga classes, good for you! That's great that you find it really helps with lower back pain. Thanks for sharing!
Does anybody else practice yoga, meditation or Tai Chi?

Breanne, Bilingual Health Educator
15 years ago 0 598 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi all,
I have been trying to go to yoga class at least once a week. It really helps with lower back pain. Yoga is great because it has different positions and different levels that you can do for each pose. Just to go and stretch out all your muscles feels good. And the nature of yoga is also spirititual; so for me; it is like going to church and getting some exercise at the same time. It is really a good work out, but also very stress releasing, meditative, and calming. I would recommend it to everyone. 

new me

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 5/26/2007
Smoke-Free Days: 385
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 9,625
Amount Saved: $2,406.25
Life Gained:
Days: 53 Hrs: 15 Mins: 34 Seconds: 37

15 years ago 0 1288 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

Members,

Our focus in recent weeks has been on stress management. Yoga, meditation & Tai Chi are often recommended to relieve stress. Below you’ll find a list of potential benefits that you may gain as a result of engaging in such activities:

° Yoga can help relieve asthma symptoms, respiratory problems, high blood pressure, pain, mental performance, mood, back problems, arthritis, libido, weight and anxiety.

° Psychology Today reports that individual observed during and after meditation showed shifts of brain activity from right frontal cortex to the left frontal cortex. The right side of the frontal cortex is a part of the brain that becomes active when stress levels rise. The study also noted that after eight weeks of meditation the shift from right to left in the brains of participants became more permanent. In other words, participants moods were rated higher than at the beginning of the study. (Collin, A., Psychology Today, April 24, 2003.)

° Tai Chi can help relieve osteoarthritis pain, joint pain & overall mobility, balance, muscle strength and mood.

Have any members here tried these relaxing activities? What was your experience?

Sylvie, Bilingual Health Educator

Reading this thread: