Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,502 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Fwcl, anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA

Myth Or Fact?

16 years ago 0 2631 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
On the negative side, I was not one of the 20% who did not gain weight and I even surpassed the 5 - 7 lb mark. On the positive side, I learned new eating habits and exercise habits which helped me to lose those extra 10 lbs plus an extra 15 .... Woooweee! I just realized that I was getting into an exercise rutt but am getting really excited about a mini-triathalon training group with some friends at the gym. Best advice for me is to make sure that exercise is fun! I know that alot of healthy diets talk about moderation. However, moderations doesn't seem to be in my vocabulary. Sooooo....I was happier making healthier food and eating LOTS of it! My other advice ... don't kick yourself if you gain afew pounds, don't kick yourself if occasionally you fall off the diet wagon. You are quitting smoking....which may be one of the most difficult and amazing things that you ever do! Windy [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]9/11/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 510 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 10,200 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $2,550.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 49 [B]Hrs:[/B] 16 [B]Mins:[/B] 51 [B]Seconds:[/B] 20
16 years ago 0 1288 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome Suzie, If you are worried about gaining extra weight, you could keep yourself busy and distracted by doing puzzles, chewing gum or a chew stick and like the members said eating mints and walking. You may also like to drink plenty of cold water. Best of luck, Sylvie, Bilingual Health Educator
16 years ago 0 2223 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I ate mounds of altoids, the strong mint really helped me through the bad times, i still like em :) Tresa [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]8/8/2002 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 2005 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 40,100 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $7,017.50 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 286 [B]Hrs:[/B] 15 [B]Mins:[/B] 41 [B]Seconds:[/B] 16
  • Quit Meter

$14,557.40

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 687 Hours: 15

Minutes: 21 Seconds: 35

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

16 years ago 0 141 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I'm new here and have heard so much about weight gain when quitting, that I've made sure that my refrigerator is full of vegetable sticks and loads of cold water. Lots of walking, plenty of water and family involvement will hopefully keep my weight in check. The hand to mouth habits of smoking and over-eating must be replaced. I'm still trying to finger that one out! Lol [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]2/3/2008 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 0 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 0 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $0.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 1 [B]Mins:[/B] 39 [B]Seconds:[/B] 3
16 years ago 0 2417 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I actually lost about 5 pounds when I quit smoking. I had to have a soda with my cigarette. When I stopped smoking I drank lots of water. I didn't want soda. So, I guess that is why I dropped a few pounds. I replaced smoking with mints. Guess they aren't to high in calories? [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]1/8/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 386 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 5,790 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1,621.20 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 36 [B]Hrs:[/B] 17 [B]Mins:[/B] 14 [B]Seconds:[/B] 21
16 years ago 0 2039 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I could gain weight if I wasn't conscious of it. Hubby bought me a treadmill for Christmas and that's really helping. I recently lost 15 pounds on Jenny Craig and am still on the program. I didn't think that losing weight(40 pounds to go) could continue to give me licence to smoke. Water...water...water! It helps me with the cigarette cravings and from feeling overly hungry. Aiming to be healthier and happier. A little grumpy, no, a lot grumpy at the moment though! Cheers, Jan [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]1/27/2008 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 2 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 50 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $17.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 7 [B]Mins:[/B] 23 [B]Seconds:[/B] 38
16 years ago 0 3307 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I am with Lainey, walk, walk, walk makes all the difference in the world. Of course not baking cookies and eating 2 dozen a day helps :eg: Seriously, common sense and exercise. I join Curves about a year ago just before I quit to add to my arsenal. Then we redid our kitchen and it took much longer than we planned, so came in the fast food diet and the walks went by by for a long time and then the holidays. Yep you guessed it extra pounds. Now I am walking and doing curves and eating like I should have been doing along and the weight is coming off. But I am a firm believer in walking. It seems like when I don't; i gain. Keep the Quit Sparky [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]4/30/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 274 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,740 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $411.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 38 [B]Hrs:[/B] 20 [B]Mins:[/B] 28 [B]Seconds:[/B] 17
16 years ago 0 46 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Unfortunately, I'm not in that 20%. :p I have been able to take most of it back off though by cutting out small things like cream in my coffee. I moved fairly close to work recently and am dying to see how long it would take me to walk to/fro work. I've been battling with the cold weather though so I've not tried it yet. Looking forward to Spring!! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]12/11/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 49 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,960 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $441.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 4 [B]Hrs:[/B] 3 [B]Mins:[/B] 9 [B]Seconds:[/B] 9
  • Quit Meter

$1,271.42

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 5353 Hours: 5

Minutes: 56 Seconds: 1

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

16 years ago 0 967 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Not only is it good to keep your weight down, but it makes you feel better. I begged my husband to buy me one when I quit and he finally did. I need to get my behind back on it though, I have been lazy the last few days. ;) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]12/6/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 53 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,590 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $198.75 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 4 [B]Hrs:[/B] 8 [B]Mins:[/B] 27 [B]Seconds:[/B] 0
16 years ago 0 3875 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Walk, walk, walk. Walking works, you can start slow and build up time each day, and anyone can do it. And I have proof! For the past four weeks my treadmill was down to replace the carpet in the basement, and too cold & slippery to walk outdoors. Yup, I gained weight just by not having my morning walk. Thank goodness it's back up and running! :8|: [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]3/5/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 329 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 8,225 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $3,470.95 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 43 [B]Hrs:[/B] 4 [B]Mins:[/B] 53 [B]Seconds:[/B] 52

Reading this thread: