Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,633 Members

Please welcome our newest members: GCAJULAO, RPABIA, TEBON, SJOLINE GEL, Duncan Brown

Challenge Yourself!

16 years ago 0 46 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I am really bad for over-generalizing situations. Today being my catch-up day around the house, I've found that I've passed this skill on to my children. I have never heard so many nevers and always as when I asked for their help. :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]12/11/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 41 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,640 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $369.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 3 [B]Hrs:[/B] 11 [B]Mins:[/B] 31 [B]Seconds:[/B] 33
  • Quit Meter

$1,271.98

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 5355 Hours: 15

Minutes: 3 Seconds: 44

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

16 years ago 0 1160 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Well, I'm almost as good at this as I was at smoking. Don't call a friend because they might not answer or call you back. That may be an extreme or it may not. When you are down on yourself you can find all sorts of reasons for others not to like you. We tend to stay so wrapped up in ourselves that we hardly notice what someone else does. I have had many telephone conversations where I didn't get the chance to say what I was thinking. I was only called to listen. That don't make what I had to say any less important, the caller was preocupied with thier thoughts. Knowing that I am responsible for my own thoughts and trying to improve my communication skills is a good way to keep from 'over-generalization' I can use any other tools you may have to improve my skills. Mods, I love this means of communication on the site. Great idea!! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]7/4/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 201 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 4,020 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $804.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 27 [B]Hrs:[/B] 2 [B]Mins:[/B] 21 [B]Seconds:[/B] 30
16 years ago 0 1148 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
This is probably going to be an example of what this is not but to me this means we're too far away to make an informed decision. Bette Midler's song, From a Distance, comes to mind. Your too far removed from it where thoughts are vague and too ambiguous to have objective meaning. This is a comfortable spot for many because they can shape the vague into whatever they want. The creativity in fiction here is limitless. We see best what we expect to see, what we want to see. I'm as guilty as the next in this and I admit it openly. I can't always tell when I'm doing it but the feeling often resembles, "there's something not quite right about this." On the other hand, not using these senses can cloud your perception. You may be sensing something though it may not be what you think it is. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]3/15/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 311 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 6,220 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1,679.40 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 50 [B]Hrs:[/B] 19 [B]Mins:[/B] 36 [B]Seconds:[/B] 38
16 years ago 0 31 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I find overgeneralization to be a large factor for me since I quit people don't seem to understand the trials of quitting however they also don't get to experience the satisfaction of acheiving such a challenge. I guess its best to put the positive in front of me and do my best to run my shop the way I see fit. Being negative is probably a side effect of quitting I hope it passes with time. ;) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]1/24/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 361 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 3,610 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $974.70 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 66 [B]Hrs:[/B] 4 [B]Mins:[/B] 21 [B]Seconds:[/B] 15
16 years ago 0 515 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Josie I am a HUGE "over-generalizer"! Which makes it hard to be a positive thinker. I have never kept track of how often it happens, it would kind of depend on who/when/where i was or around. Interesting idea considering tomorrow i am getting a transfer at work and unsure of the situation. Got my pen and paper ready! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]1/7/2008 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 13 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 234 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $88.92 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 5 [B]Mins:[/B] 8 [B]Seconds:[/B] 35
16 years ago 0 12049 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Members, This week we will be focusing on over-generalization. An over-generalization error happens when people make general conclusions based on specific situations. For example, if somebody doesn�t smile and say �hello� right away, a person may think �they must be angry at me.� Another example would be, you try your hand at quitting, if it doesn�t turn out well and you slip, you think �I�m not good at anything� or if a quitter gets doesn�t get recognition for their accomplishments in quitting they may think �Nobody cares, I should just go back to smoking it would be so much easier�. The truth is that this happens in life, not everyone is sensitive to others successes. How often do you find yourself overgeneralize? Today we challenge you to keep count with a pen and paper. Let�s challenge these and think or some ways to reverse these thoughts. Don�t forget to post your results here! Josie

Reading this thread: