Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,526 Members

Please welcome our newest members: eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH

This post is for anyone who is thinking about starting back.

16 years ago 0 3875 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Bump for newbies! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]3/5/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 87 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,175 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $917.85 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 10 [B]Hrs:[/B] 17 [B]Mins:[/B] 31 [B]Seconds:[/B] 8
16 years ago 0 2670 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
bump! lynnexx [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]10/24/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 216 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 3,240 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �864.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 24 [B]Hrs:[/B] 13 [B]Mins:[/B] 12 [B]Seconds:[/B] 42
  • Quit Meter

$113,535.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 6491 Hours: 14

Minutes: 43 Seconds: 28

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

16 years ago 0 8760 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks for the bump! This is a must read! Danielle _____________________ The SSC Support Team
16 years ago 0 33 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks for the bump. I had never read this since I've been on the site the past week. I came here looking for encouragement today because I was worried of picking up a cigarette, having a weak moment. Instead, I found this post and it touched my heart and soul. I went from cravings to crying in a matter of minutes. God Bless Joe for his determination, strength and for passing along his story. I consider this man a hero because even after he's gone he's still helping save lives. God Bless those who keep this post bumped, it just helped me through a rough time. Thank you Joe! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]5/14/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 6 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 120 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $21.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 20 [B]Mins:[/B] 45 [B]Seconds:[/B] 10
16 years ago 0 1148 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thank you for bumping this post. I thought of "joe cool" and this post when I woke up this morning. I had a smoking dream last night and woke up relieved to find it was just a dream. The dream was out of control; I was smoking and couldn't stop. All my convictions were fighting the action and the more I fought it the more I smoked. It was aggrevating. I think it was the out of control nature of the dream that made me think of Joe. His final challenge was controlling him rather than the more desireable opposite. Like my father, he waited too long to quit. I went out on the web this morning to read what I could find on many of the reasons I quit and the ones brought to the front by this dream last night. I've seen this before but needed to see it again, how I'm recovering and what to expect when from my quit: --------------------------------------------------------------------- As soon as you snuff out that last cigarette: Within 20 min: Blood pressure, body temperature, and pulse rate will drop to normal. Within 8 hours: Smoker's breath disappears. Carbon monoxide level in blood drops and oxygen level rises to normal. Within 24 hours: Chance of a heart attack decreases. Within 48 hours: Nerve endings start to regroup. Ability to taste and smell improves. Within 3 days: Breathing is easier. Within 2 to 3 months: Circulation improves. Walking becomes easier. Lung capacity increases up to 30% Within 1 to 9 months: Sinus congestion and shortness of breath decrease. Cilia that sweep debris from you lungs grow back. Energy increases. Within 1 year: Excess risk of coronary heart disease is half that of a person who smokes. Within 2 years: Heart attack risk drops to near-normal. Within 5 years: Lung cancer death rate for the average former pack-a-day smoker decreases by almost half. Stroke risk is reduced. Risk of mouth, throat, and esophageal cancer is half that of a smoker. Within 10 years: Lung cancer death rate is similar to that of a person who does not smoke. The precancerous cells are replaced. Within 15 years: Risk of coronary heart disease is the same as a person who has never smoked. --------------------------------------------------------------------- These statistics are based on a long-term heavy smoker quitting before they develop anything chronic. I was surprised at how many of these stats were based on the worst possible and smallest segment of the population in the study group. It's reasonable to assume if you're not part of that small population your healing rate would beat this timeline, you'd realize recovery and benefits of quitting a little sooner. And if you have developed something chronic then quitting is the only way to keep from getting worse (if that's possible). Thank you Joe. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]3/15/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 66 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,320 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $277.20 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 10 [B]Hrs:[/B] 16 [B]Mins:[/B] 24 [B]Seconds:[/B] 24
16 years ago 0 2670 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
bump [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]10/24/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 205 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 3,075 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �820.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 23 [B]Hrs:[/B] 7 [B]Mins:[/B] 54 [B]Seconds:[/B] 9
  • Quit Meter

$113,535.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 6491 Hours: 14

Minutes: 43 Seconds: 29

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 1687 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Every time I see this thread bumped, my heart leaps. I'm hoping Ms Cool is announcing the birth of Joe Jr. Ms Cool, I still think of you and wonder how you are doing. I hope you will come to SSC one day and read this thread. I know how painful it would be but just look what Joe did!!! He changed lives, and for that we are thankful..... Think of it as his last mission on earth, and he was thinking of others. Hope you had a blessed Easter. Sunshine [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/7/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 456 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 7,765 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1596 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 66 [B]Hrs:[/B] 23 [B]Mins:[/B] 48 [B]Seconds:[/B] 31
  • Quit Meter

$229,908.38

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 6396 Hours: 2

Minutes: 22 Seconds: 25

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 8760 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks for the bump! Danielle ____________________ The SSC Support Team
17 years ago 0 3875 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
For those who newbies who wondered who Joe Cool is...Bump!
17 years ago 0 3875 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Bump for Newbies

Reading this thread: