Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,517 Members

Please welcome our newest members: AABBYGAIL RUTH, ALAICA, JD7, Ww12, Fwcl

One man's opinion on "the quit meter"

18 years ago 0 506 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
yeah, yeah Phil....(re:ruebens) it's the only time I'll eat sauerkraut too although it( the rueben analogy of this opinion and life) must have the crusty, heated rye on the outside to be complete- I hate soggy lukewarm rye bread in my rueben!!!! So everyone, when I post, just say "oh there he goes again with his crusty ruebenesque view of life....will he ever embrace the inner parts of this sandwich?" And maybe Duffis is correct in that I will mature in my quit (my words follow)into a fine, hearty pumpernickel swirl of ...(guess I'm out of bs!) Oh well, this thread has been fun, but alas, all things must come to an end.(everyone sighs and thanks their personal deities) nope! Bob [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/18/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 33 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,357 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $297 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 5 [B]Hrs:[/B] 13 [B]Mins:[/B] 50 [B]Seconds:[/B] 18
I think I'll make one final post about this (thank God, right?!) Pam- thank you for at least entertaining my view. I appreciate that and I appreciate your re-reading the posts because there seems to be a concern that I am trying to force my opinion on others, as though I have some influence over SSC policy. I have kept my opinion in this right here on a thread I started (hence, one man's OPINION).If one does read through this volatile soup of comments and opinions, one will realize that I'm hardly deluded enough to think I have such influence on the board's policy. Nor have I made a blanket statement of what the board should do, except sarcastically. But I will acknowledge that I am struggling very hard in this quit and that my emotions and reactions are as affected by this horrible withdrawel as any of us on the board, especially those of us still stuggling with days,weeks and (barely)months. If I'm the only one in these early days of the quit who is subconsciously affected, if not deeply affected by the amount of "slipping" and what seems to me like an almost cavalier response to it, especially when it comes to the meter, then I apologize for being such a basket case. However, I visit other boards and this is well documented as a big problem to the extent that a cascade of relapsing often occurs. And Pam- you are so correct in the part of all the attention, hugs, kisses going to the "slippers" and how unconsciously, that wears on the subconscious inner child of those of really invested in this quit and the stupid quit meter. The junkie thinking just goes nuts with this. This quit, for me, is so friable. I'd like to say I'm trying to protect the newbies (how honorable that would be), but I'm really trying to balance myself on the edge of a knife. One response hit home to me in that we don't "know" each other, say anything about "love" and my tough love stance seems questionable at best. Why shouldn't people also think of me as arrogant, insensitive, lacking in compassion, standing on a soapbox or pedastal? I get it. I'm sorry people here feel this way because it's not the person I am, but why shouldn't you react that way? You don't know me. I get it. And none of us, especially in these early stages, are acting like we normally might act. At the same time
Alright Pam...one more post. Thanks Pat and Phil, for your responses,btw. I'm not trying to skirt the issue (my answer to your question) in this, Pam. Just bear with me. To me, this would be the ideal situation, if I ran a site like this. And I base this on what I see as people relapsing, and then (understandably)looking for reassurance. A pseudo confessional or something. I get it. My problem with this, though, is well established and I'll spare all of you that. But maybe the better thing to do, as a site, would be to require at log-in an honest answer to your smoking status. If you have slipped/relapsed, you have your ability to post in the general forums temporarily removed and you are then limited to another group just for that population. In this relapse group, you are evaluated and nurtured by the sites experts and the the oldies who are solid in their quits. These people and you determine things like your commitment to quit, what to do with your meter, all that stuff before your rights to post in the general forums are renewed. No one is the wiser and it doesn't impact on the strugglers in the general forums in any way. Us newbies aren't subjected to all the subtle junkie thoughts that inadvertantly come from it. Well...that's how I WISH this site worked. I certainly don't agree with another sites attitude about one strike and you're out. That may surprize some of you, but I see no benefit in that method, either. But back to the real world. So, to the answer to your question. If, after say 2 years, I took a puff off someone's cig at a party. If one really equates this addiction with say heroin (and most say it's worse) , that would be the same as saying I shot up, but only 1/2 syringe. I guess the question is, could I stop? If I did take only one drag and walked away....maybe I wouldn't confess it to anyone. I know what you're saying. It would be horrible, but by then, I think that I wouldn't be posting anymore UNLESS I started smoking again. It's hard to imagine being "clean" for that long. I suppose if I had no adverse reaction and never felt an increased crave and just went on like before (this is a huge supposition) then 1. I wouldn't tell anyone, anyway, and 2. I doubt I'd be using the meter anymore since I'd like to at some time be
bump for Pam- you'll have to look on page 3 Bob
Well, since I started this thread, that is fairly obvious (me having an issue) and I'm hardly the only one who sees it this way. To me it's about honesty and it's not insensitive to assert that there are consequences to our actions. There's a lot of chagrin about junkie thinking on this site, and rightly so. So why give a subliminal message that it doesn't matter if you adjust your meter if you smoke. Clearly there's more to this if setting back the meter is somehow enough to stop someone from re-engaging the quit. That's just an excuse. Seems like an opportunity for growth and realization of how serious the addiction is, not an obstacle to quitting again. For some of us like myself, this stupid trinket is a major symbol (symbols are very important to some people...ie religion, etc)of my quit and resolve and I won't apologise to any of you for reacting to it in the way I do. Likewise, I will be there for any who fall and offer what I can to encourage them, and if I fall off my soapbox, I hope I can make it back for you to help as well. This has nothing do with my opinion on the meter...that is support. Bob [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/18/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 41 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,660 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $369 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 6 [B]Hrs:[/B] 19 [B]Mins:[/B] 39 [B]Seconds:[/B] 2
Yes, I can answer with 100% certainty that I would set the meter back. No pedestal here or feeling superior in any way. I simply refuse to believe that it does any good to deceive myself or others should that event occur, god forbid. It's about honesty in this addiction and how dangerous it is. I think giving the subliminal message that it's ok to slip with hugs and kisses and pats on the back and no consequence is enabling and ultimately far more destructive than a little tough love in the first place. But that's the way I was brought up. It doesn't mean you ignore or shun the person who has relapsed and don't do everything possible to help them out and get on the track again. This isn't a fundamentalist religion or a scarlet letter thing. I can't tell you how many times the meter itself has kept me from that puff or pack because I know what it means and am proud that it is entirely true that I have been smoke free. Having a strong conviction is not the same as standing on a pedastal or soapbox. It may not be politically correct or popular, but I stand behind it, just the same. If we can avoid junkie thinking, we will be ok. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/18/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 41 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,673 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $369 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 6 [B]Hrs:[/B] 20 [B]Mins:[/B] 56 [B]Seconds:[/B] 42
Well let's see, I started off and on attempts at quitting around 2 years ago (actually since I was about 25). So maybe I should be a double golden anniversary quitter right now according to this logic. It's so crazy, I don't understand the wishy washy approach to this at all or the lack of owning up to one's quit, but no one is forcing anyone to display their meter; maybe the best thing for the SCC to do is to remove the ability to display it and then there would be no conflict at all. Or display it as "days attempting to quit". Are you smoking or not is no different from are you quit or not in my mind. Here, I won't even display my trinket this time.
18 years ago 0 51 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Christine & Butterfly make good points. I don't come here to check the meters. I come for the laughs, tears, anger, and anything else that happens so that I can apply what I feel helps me in my quit. Who care what everyone's meters read!!! I only care how mine reads and what it means to me in this effort.The meter is a personal journey to help each individual moniter their own progress. I have found more support in the everyday tales of ups and downs and even shared some of the reads with my non-smoking husband. I have giggled more times. Can we get back to the important reason we are all here- THE SUPPORT!!! I am not a lavish writer but I sure don't think I could have kept this up without coming here everyday for even a little while. :confuse: :confuse: [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/17/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 34 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,044 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $107.1 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 4 [B]Hrs:[/B] 1 [B]Mins:[/B] 31 [B]Seconds:[/B] 38
  • Quit Meter

$20,697.89

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 416 Hours: 16

Minutes: 43 Seconds: 55

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

18 years ago 0 1687 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Rob, I don't usually get into discussions like this, but am I not on the Stop Smoking Center. I thought when I joined it was because I was not going to smoke anymore. NOT ONE PUFF. And if I did I probably would not come back. Yes, I think that the meter is a personal thing and I think it means: TO YOUR OWN SELF BE TRUE!!! Good discussion and I have learned alot. SUNSHINE [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/7/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 75 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,291 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $262.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 10 [B]Hrs:[/B] 22 [B]Mins:[/B] 18 [B]Seconds:[/B] 58
  • Quit Meter

$229,898.25

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 6395 Hours: 20

Minutes: 8 Seconds: 35

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

18 years ago 0 1687 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Penquin, you will always fit into this site and don't let anyone tell you that you don't. I drew so much from your threads, and still do today. You are a big part of this site, and I look for you name all the time. TO YOUR OWN SELF BE TRUE AND YOU HAVE..... :) I would have done the same thing that you did. Just know that I am thinking of you and blessings are sent your way. SUNSHINE [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/7/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 82 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,403 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $287 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 11 [B]Hrs:[/B] 20 [B]Mins:[/B] 54 [B]Seconds:[/B] 22
  • Quit Meter

$229,898.25

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 6395 Hours: 20

Minutes: 8 Seconds: 35

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

This thread is locked.