Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,526 Members

Please welcome our newest members: eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH

31 years old and I just had enough..

6 years ago 0 11214 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome!

It sounds like you are well on your way to success. Follow your doctors advice but I think you might find the symptoms resolve once you are quit for a few months. I can see how your health concerns would motivate you even more so try not to worry too much and stay focused on the goal. Other then cutting back and posting here, how else will you be preparing for your quit?

Ashley, Health Educator
6 years ago 0 796 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Red86,
 Welcome to the stop smoking center community! A lot of us started for the same reasons, looking "cool" and wanting to "fit in". We were such a fool weren't we? Sounds like you have had a lot of lifestyle changes in the past year. Adding quitting smoking to your list seems logical, but beware of the added stress. Don't use stress as an excuse for smoking though. You say you've quit before for 9 months before. That was a great run of quitting. Too bad something made you go back to smoking though. (Darn triggers are everywhere) Do you remember what it was, and can you avoid it now or work around it? Paranoia is a great motivator for quitting isn't it?  
 It sounds like the medicine you're on now has a great side effect for nicotine.  Have you picked a day to try and start your quit journey yet? Be sure and go through all of the steps in the "my program" at the top of the page. There's some good advice in there. There is a lot more good advice from fellow quitters here in the forums too.
 You've got a good attitude to start you quit journey, and I wish you the best.
Stay strong.

Not One Puff Ever

• Quit Meter

$23,219.90

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 772 Hours: 19

Minutes: 12 Seconds: 13

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

6 years ago 0 1 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Greetings everybody,

Well, here I am.  I have been looking at this forum for about 2 weeks and finally gave it a go, and I must say, it's pretty darn cool on how much tools you have to set you up for success, now I am looking to be part of this community to further my chances of succeeding.

A bit about me and I'll try to make it quick.  I began smoking about 13 years ago because to "look cool" among the friends that I had at the time.  I was young and partied a lot, so I definitely wanted to fit in.  So I smoked and smoked for a bit over a decade and somewhere in there I quit for about 9 months. Now, I am 31 got married, built my first home, and got a dog in 2017.  I am going back to school and I am doing well in that too.  At the end of 2017 I noticed I was getting a little depressed so I went to my doctor and he prescribed me Buproprion XL 150mg once a day.  I've been on it for about 6 weeks now and I have noticed that when I smoke, I am not as interested in it anymore, and often say to myself "I can do without this".  Also, I used to smoke first thing in the morning, and now I wake up and have my coffee and I notice that I do not feel the need to smoke, and I often don't until late in the afternoon.  So I feel I am on my way to quitting.

I've also noticed that I have smoked less each day than I normally would and in the mornings, I have been having this wheezing cough that coughs up so much phelgm, I have to carry a water bottle with me in my car or when I sleep cause I have to expel it so much.  This occurred for about 2 weeks until I got paranoid and reached out to my doctor and he said it could be allergies (which I have and live yards away from cedar trees) or asthma and prescribed me a bronchodilator.  This made me paranoid and supercharged my drive to quit.  To the point where I am looking at COPD symptoms.. But family and friends just tell me it's my body recovering from 10+ years of smoking, but I couldn't help it.
So here I am, ready to quit, and I feel committed.  I have a great support system and I am eager to be a part of this forum.

Thank you for having me and I look forward to talking to y'all! 
  • Quit Meter

$123,162.77

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 6437 Hours: 11

Minutes: 27 Seconds: 25

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Reading this thread: