Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,631 Members

Please welcome our newest members: RPABIA, TEBON, SJOLINE GEL, Duncan Brown, BBEA ANGELIC

Hello all! Checking back in and hoping to connect with some new (and old?) friends.

9 years ago 0 13 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello Dan, Glad you had the urge to check-in.  I'm only 5 days smoke free but find I look forward to reading and receiving comments.  I definitely need guidance and advise as I progress in this journey.  Thanks for all the details listed in your post.  There is so much more to this than just quitting smoking.  It has been my signature for 45 years.  Regardless of the emotional ups and downs I am committed to staying smoke free.  Thanks again.
9 years ago 0 4 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I want to say firstly, congratulations! I have just joined a few days ago, and this site is great as one of my many tools for quitting smoking. I use this tool when I feel the need to reach out for help, get inspired and along the way share and hopefully inspire others also. I can't speak for everyone else but I know I have many tools besides this forum in which to help when I feel a strong craving. However, with this being said I would most definitely welcome having some friends being that I am new here, and I would be happy to converse here or by email with anyone who would like to.

Cheers! 
9 years ago 0 1140 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Dan,

Thanks for stopping in. I always like to read of long term successes. It makes me feel hopeful. I'm at 2 years and almost 4 months now. My plan is to stay quit for life. I don't want to go through any of that mess--being addicted, being unhealthy, going through withdrawal, etc--again. 

I've been coming around less and less over time, but still like checking in to see how everyone is doing and maybe share something useful with someone who is still struggling.

From what I've read over the past couple of years, this place is slower than it used to be. But there are still folks who are gaining from reading. (They occasionally show themselves just to let us know they're here.  ) And new people still come in and post. Just not as often, I guess. 
  • Quit Meter

$22,623.95

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 604 Hours: 17

Minutes: 40 Seconds: 9

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

9 years ago 0 210 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello Ashley. WAY too many to list here! But lets see...here is a start. I'm sure some others here can relate. 1. This is the biggie.... I can breath SOOO much better and easier. Before I quit I was having to use an inhaler and often had to do breathing treatments. I was often sick. Had sinus infections. Ear infections. Sore throats. My teeth were coming loose. All of that is no more. I recently took some family to Disney World and was able to walk the entire park several times over with no problems at all! How liberating that was! My doc says my lungs sound great and my blood pressure has dropped. 2. I don't stink like stale smoke all of the time now. My clothes smell fresh. My hair smells fresh. My home smells fresh. My car smells...well ok...but at least it doesn't smell like smoke! lol 3. I don't have to worry and feel guilty about poisoning other people with MY smoke. 4. I no longer have to budget out what it was going to take week to week just to afford my habit. With the amount I smoked...trust me...it was a sizable portion of my check. 5. I don't have to worry about leaving my house at 9:00 at night in a rainstorm or snowstorm or whatever kind of weather was going at the time....just because I was afraid of running out of smokes before morning. 6. I no longer have to get up in the middle of the night to puff on my inhaler and a cigarette...usually at the same time. (DUHHHH) 7. I know longer have to worry about going places and wondering if I was going to be allowed to smoke. The benefits for me go on and on and on. Many that are not listed here. Hope this helps someone else. Dan
9 years ago 0 11216 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Dan,  

Glad to see you stop by! There are still members posting here it just may take a few days to get a reply. 

Congrats on your continued success. What do you think is the best part about being a non smoker?

Ashley, Health Educator
Hi Lolly! Appreciate the "Hello." I guess the site really has changed. It makes sense that smokers are becoming more of a thing of the past, so there may not be as many people to chat with on here, but the ones that are left should stick together more during the quit. Don't you think? I don't know...maybe they are. I don't do facebook or twitter or any of those. Guess I'm out of the loop. LOL You dropped the nico-demon a long time ago yourself huh? Good for you! Guess I'll also drop in from time to time to see how things are going here. I hope someone can read past posts and get something out of them. Thanks again for the reply! Dan
9 years ago 0 618 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello Dan,

I'm not sure if you are the Dan I remember, but 'Hello' anyway!  You will probably remember me...hope so....I spent what seems like years on this site, but no longer.  The site has changed, it seems the banter has gone, and many of us connect up on Facebook 'Friends of SSC'.  Just look at the dates of the most recent posts!  I drop in every couple of days to make sure I don't miss someone's anniversary, an I spotted your post.

Congratulations on your 7 years.  I hope someone else comes by to welcome you back.  Hope you continue to help other quitters!

Love Lolly.    
Wow. Does no one say hello anymore? Did I just scare some of you or something? When I first came on here years ago, someone saying hello garnered many replies. Quit buddies and friendships were made. People felt welcomed into the group. I left a message 2 days ago saying hello and looking to connect with friends new and old, and as of yet there is not one reply. Very strange. Dan
Was on here years ago and gained a lot of insight and help with my quit. Hope I can now do the same for someone else. Went from 3 to 5 packs a day to being a non-smoker. Haven't had a smoke in nearly 7 years and don't miss it! Look younger now than I did then! I know it's rough...but just remember...you CAN do this you guys. I promise you....you can. If anyone wants to chat with an old fart...hit me up. Dan

Reading this thread: