Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,522 Members

Please welcome our newest members: FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH, ALAICA, JD7, Ww12

Hi everyone! ;)

9 years ago 0 210 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey feko! Stay strong friend, and remember...you CAN do it! Dan
9 years ago 0 1 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
you are a legend feko! x
9 years ago 0 1853 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Feko, 

Thinking of you and hope that each day is getting a little easier.  Hold strong and don't hesitate to reach out for support!
Vincenza, Health Educator
9 years ago 0 93 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Feko. I'm glad you made a good decision and decided to stop smoking. from what I see you are already on day 5 :) I'll repeat my personal philosophy to you. If you can go three days without smoking than you can go a lifetime without it. you my friend have already achieved that. just take one day at a time and enjoy and celebrate every single day, that's what I did. I went from 50 a day to zero no problem on my second attempt and sadly I had been smoking for 24 years. just remember not to smoke ever again. you will see life is a lot better after you quit and mark my words, soon the day will come when you will not even think about smoking anymore. Keep up the good work and feel free to ask for advice whenever you feel you need it. John
9 years ago 0 4 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Ashley and Penitent! :)

Thank you for these words, it means so much for me every day!

These are such good advice so I note them. It seems so "easy" to quit one day at a time, I think this helps me a lot.

Last time I didn't have a great aim for quitting, but now I think I have. Of course freedom is the most important thing for me now, and my future aims. I would like to be a winemaker, I have a Chemist BSc degree and I want to study more, and get higher education about wine making. Of course I will need my smelling and tasting at the maximum level for this. :D

Not wealth, because every smoker know, that we always have money for smoking...such a silly thing, isn't it? :D But of course wealth is an important benefit, but not the most important for me. And other benefits, such as more energy, cleaner and healthier environment are the icing on the cake. :)

So Ashley you have a hungarian background, just wow! I always wonder, that this country is so little, but I find Hungarian people almost everywhere. :) It's a funny thing for me.

I'm preparing for my quit with little steps, like I smoke my first cigarette later in the morning, I smoke a little bit less, than yesterday. I'm planning what will I do the days after quitting, to make myself busy. But of course I'll relax. And read the threads here.

I speak Hungarian...
What's your superpower? :D 

9 years ago 0 11214 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome Feko,

Congrats on getting started! It sounds like you really want this. Work on the program and keep posting here to keep yourself motivated and informed. 

Your english reads good to me. I have a hungarian background myself :)

Starting a new job can be scary but this anxiety is normal. Each time we face these anxieties we get stronger. Just like with quitting smoking, each time we fight through a craving we get stronger. You might want to quit smoking a few days before your new job though - quitting while starting a new job might be tough.

Aside from joining here how else are you preparing for your quit?

Ashley, Health Educator
9 years ago 0 2534 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Feko and welcome.

Great words from Working On It so please take note.

All I will say to you at this stage is that my life is so much better now that I have quit smoking and that you can enjoy the benefits of the same freedom IF (and it's a big IF) you really want to quit smoking. You MUST want to quit MORE than you want to smoke and you must NEVER take another puff. But don't be frightened by that prospect. When I quit I could not imagine NEVER smoking again. It was a daunting thought so I learnt NOT to think it!! I learnt to quit one day at a time. It is so much easier and readily doable.

Plenty of sound advice here Feko, so read, read, read but do not smoke, smoke, smoke!! Just remember, One Day At A Time and Not One Puff Ever!!

Good Luck. You can do this.
Penitent

• Quit Meter

$56,793.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1124 Hours: 19

Minutes: 37 Seconds: 30

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Hi Working On It! :)

Thank you for your kind words and your encouragement, it means a lot for me!

Yes, I'd like to quit "cold turkey", so I'll have to be well prepared for the first few days, it'll be tough, but I was strong enough for this last time, it was 2 years ago, I don't know why I waited 2 years to start it again.

Congrats for you, you're amazing!

I speak Hungarian...
9 years ago 0 1140 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Feko,

Congratulations on your decision to quit. You are correct that quitting = freedom. I am so happy that I quit. My main regret is that I didn't do it earlier.

If you are quitting "cold turkey" (no nicotine gum, patch or anything), the first 3 days will be kind of crazy. It takes about that long to "detox," or get the last of the nicotine out of your body. But as soon as you get all the nicotine out of your system, you will feel that first sense of freedom. I remember feeling like my whole body had relaxed when the nicotine had finally left my system. At that point, you will no longer physically need to smoke, and you will feel calmer than you have in a long time. It is something to look forward to. 

In the meantime, be sure to hang out and read through both old and new posts here. You're looking at the collective wisdom of many, many ex-smokers on these boards.

Also, if you have any questions, need a pep talk, or just want to brag about your smoke free days, feel free to post. I'm looking forward to seeing you around.  
  • Quit Meter

$22,546.70

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 602 Hours: 16

Minutes: 2 Seconds: 44

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

So I decided to give up smoking forever.

I'm that kind of person who likes smoking, who likes the ritual, you know the coffee+cigarette combo, but now I start to realize, that smoking is just control my life, and it's frighten me. I want to be free again. It's weird but I can't remember that feeling, to being free, because I started smoking when I was 12 years old... now I'm 23, so all of my "teen years" went away with this nasty habit. I can't concentrate my things now, I concentrate just the smoking, to give it up. It's the most important thing for me now, to stop it, and after that I can continue my life and reach my aims.

I want to stop it on Sunday, so Monday will be my first smoking free day. On Wednesday I will start a new work, I'm afraid of the new environment a little-bit, but I think it will be good, it's a seasonal work on summer. And after this, I will have my matriculation on 2nd of July, and I have to study for that, but now I can't, because of smoking. So I'm so nervous about that now.

I found this site today, it seems so homey, I read some threads, and here are so nice people, who are helping with the others. It's such a good thing. I think I will need help from you too. :)

Sorry for my English, here I can practice it. :D

Fekó 

I speak Hungarian...

Reading this thread: