Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,503 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Ww12, Fwcl, anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr

Almost 2 months!

10 years ago 0 1853 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Great perspectives! Vincenza, Health Educator
10 years ago 0 115 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
This is a great thread! Certainly strikes a chord with me. Though feeling very positive I still feel that sense if loss, at times when I would previously smoked. I am just getting to understand that I am not alone in this, learning to live with this is a challenge that is becoming easier by the day. Lets not focus on the loss but look at the gains. N.O.P.E.
  • Quit Meter

$28,393.50

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 514 Hours: 23

Minutes: 46 Seconds: 13

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

10 years ago 0 792 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
A Very Powerful Statement Eyja. I'm sure anyone who reads it will be moved.
10 years ago 0 823 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
hey dsb - why not check on in here and rant and rave a bit? at least that helped me get over the anxiety when it hit me . . .
 and i had lots of it when i first quit. felt like i was losing my best friend and hated that my best friend was a rotten stinking betrayer that sucked the life outta me like a vampire with a stopwatch in hand, just chocking up the minutes until it was time to join him in the back alley for a stolen kiss of death. i figured the few heart palpitations that ensued from dropping that fiend (no r intended) were worth the effort. 
hope you are doing better now - it will get easier!  it always does when you stick to NOPE! Not One Puff Ever!  you got it now and we are cheering for you!!  

10 years ago 0 186 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi . I am lucky I just had to deal with my quit.
I did have a lot of feeling of not being myself and that I was missing out at times.
I also thought I had lost my way to settle myself when things were hectic but in fact
as I became stronger in my quit I also became more mellow in dealing with life's fast pace.
It really does get better. It is amazing how many triggers we accumulate through our smoking years
but it is possible to change them to fit our non smoking life  so we can enjoy the things we want to and discard those that we don't
N.O.P.E.
Sherry
10 years ago 0 2508 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Congrats on your 62 days of freedom from smoking...

Not sure what to say about the anxiety. I had anxiety before I quit and I get anxiety sometimes now too.

Except now I can walk without struggling for a breathe or having my heart pound in my chest because I smoke..This is very important because walking is one of the ways I deal with my stress and anxiety..Smoking is a stimulant, so smoking just makes it worst in my case. Being I can walk with ease now, some form of exercise is my best bet when it comes to dealing with stress and anxiety..as is deep breathing and relaxation therapy..

Taking a Deep slow breath and holding it for a few seconds and letting it out slowly to a count of five and than repeating this sequence several times helps me to relax and decompress..and it can be done anytime and anywhere..We did it all the time when we inhaled smoke..except now we are giving our bodies, hearts and brains the clean blood and oxygen they crave..

Hope this helps.

Red..
10 years ago 0 1853 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi dsb8551, 

So glad to hear the worst is over for you!  Members have described this feeling of a missing a big part of your life like losing a friend...  Perhaps this is a new you, a smoke-free you emerging after years of smoking.  I'm sorry to hear your anxiety is getting stronger.  How are you dealing with anxious feelings?
What helps calm your mind?  What have you relied on apart from cigarettes?
Vincenza, Health Educator
10 years ago 0 639 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Excellent for you. You are a winner. I, too, struggle with coping with the loss after 4 years. Physically I feel great but mentally I seem to be in a fog. Be proud of your accomplishment. Overcoming addiction is the best thing you can do for you. Keep the quit.
  • Quit Meter

$50,443.97

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1123 Hours: 19

Minutes: 4 Seconds: 12

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

10 years ago 0 3307 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
First of all congrats on 60 days.  This quit is going ok for me finally.  But I still have thoughts of smoking, but I think it all the way though and it is not worth it.  I am not anxious, but my body has gotten a little extra company (pounds).  You are seeing the doctor which is good and he can help you anxiety.  Smoking will only mask what is going one.  Hang in there and get yourself a nice reward.

Keep the Quit
Sparky 
10 years ago 0 11 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
The worst is over, the physical withdrawal gone. I still miss it and feel like a big part of my life is gone. I haven't felt like myself since I quit and maybe that's part of it- anyone else feel like that? The last time I quit was 5 years ago, and I don't remember how I did it! I have been able to find things I used to love to do and still enjoy them. It's difficult to find motivation right now. I struggle with anxiety so much at this point- it's hard to go out to run errands some days. My doctor took my blood pressure 3 times in one visit and it was all over the place. It's amazing what your body does when there's no crutch (cigarette) to rely on! Has anyone else been dealing with bad anxiety/heart racing/palpitations?

Reading this thread: