Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,498 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Fwcl, anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA

Hi I?m new here!

11 years ago 0 2778 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Alexa!!!

Congrats and welcome to the SSC!!!  Many of us have been in your shoes and felt the exact same thoughts as you!  Me too!  I started smoking in my early teens and had several quit attempts throughout those 37 years or so.  I knew that I would eventually quit, but it took some sad and scary events in my life to finally get 'er done!  Finding the right NRT and this site is what finally brought my freedom to fruition!  

It is hard to quit after that long love affair with that supposed best friend of years and years!  You really have to see ol' nic for what it is... your worse enemy!  You have to keep psyching yourself up to do battle with that killer and vow to yourself that you will never lose one battle!  You lost one little battle here in the beginning getting  your feet wet, but climb right back on that horse, sharpen that sword and yell that battle cry that will put THE fear into the demon!  Then it's kick-ash time!!!  

Stick close, like every day close!  Give us updates and let us know how we can help you get through your hard times!  If a craving is so bad that you think that you are going to ask that friend again for that cancer stick, get on the boards and yell for help!!!  Wait and read until you receive at least 3 posts... by that time your crave should be gone and you will be much stronger for winning yet another battle and slowly weaken your nemesis!!!  

Last but not least... N. O. P. E. ...  Not One Puff Ever!  That is how we slay the demon!  You CAN do this!

Jim 
  • Quit Meter

$44,220.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1058 Hours: 8

Minutes: 6 Seconds: 51

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

11 years ago 0 22 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Lolly-I keep rereading your post. Funny you mention your grandchildren, I have a 17-month old grandson that I love dearly. I have always felt so guilty when I hold him if I've smoked recently. I always wash my hands but still feel it's in my clothes and he could be breathing it
11 years ago 0 270 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Alexa,

Awesome! The quit meter is a popular tool here on the site. Glad to see you're enjoying it.

Sonia
I figured out how to fix the Quit Meter...I really like that feature. Looking at some of you who've been here awhile-amazing how much money you've saved and years you've added to your lives.
Thanks so much to all of you for the encouragement. I'm struggling somewhat. I had my last cigarette on Monday night at 9:45 and did not smoke after that...until I had a slip yesterday afternoon on Day 4. I couldn't stop thinking about smoking, should have gotten up and taken a walk but wound up asking my co-worker for a cigarette. I was feeling really bad afterwards for slipping up and haven't since but...the demon is definately "there." I'm using herbal Smoke Free spray,which tastes terrible but seems to help, rather than nicotine replacements for now. The support from all of you really helps!
P.S. Does anyone know how to reset the "Quit Meter"? Mine is wrong by a long shot!

11 years ago 0 44 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
welcome onboard. Here I am after multiple attempts of trying to do it myself and finally decided to get to SSC to get some support. Trying to climb this mountain alone is hard.. and a few words of encouragement goes a long way especially from a bunch of ex-smokers who have done it!!!!

Good luck on the quit.. That you are thinking about it and talking about it is a step in the right direction..
11 years ago 0 816 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello newcomers. I think the fear and apprehension of quitting smoking is why we put it off so many times or throw in the towel too soon. To be successfull we have to want it more than we want to smoke. When I had my last cigarette Nov. 10 of 2008 I wanted to stop more than I wanted anything else. Armed with a copy of Alan Carr's book " The Easy Way to Stop Smoking , ice water for the craves and this site I decided at the sart that whatever I had to go through to be done with smoking I would do it. If standing on my head in the corner all day would have worked I would have done that too. Like the others have said follow the program here and spend the time that you'd normally be smoking here reading and filling out the crave diary , etc. I think the name breather is appropriate because today I have no problem breathing and never cough anymore. We help each other to get through the rough spots. I can't , We can. Smoking takes everything and gives nothing back. These days we pretty well have to take out a mortgage to get a lousy pack of butts so it isn't high on my list of priorities. I felt like a sucker paying an exhorbitant amount for a pack just like playing a game at a carnival that we know we can't win. Every quitting attempt puts the smoker closer to the final quit so there is no such thing as failure. Stopping smoking means learning how to live a new way of life. It just happens to be better than the life of a smoker of which the former doesn't seem to have much of a future. I don't have to hide my yellow stained fingers anymore because they aren't yellow anymore which makes me very , very happy  breather 
11 years ago 0 27 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Alexa, and congratultions on making the first step.  I am restarting my smoke free life journey on the 2 July, so we will work through this together.  I too enjoy smoking, well at least some parts of it, it has always been my time out, but to be honest the money the smell and the unseen health risks that it is causing really is off putting.  I enjoy reading what people have to say on this site and find it all helpful.  WE CAN AND  WE WILL DO THIS. 
Lynne
11 years ago 0 618 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Dear Alexa,

Welcome to SSC.......the absolutely best place to help you quit!

I smoked for 40 years from 16, and so on, like yourself.  A voice inside me kept telling me that I really, really loved smoking.  In spite of this voice, I quit seven and a half years ago in order to see my grandchildren grow up, and because my first grandchild asked me why I did such a stupid thing as to smoke.

Like yourself, I came on to this site before my quit date, and I tried to prepare myself in every way for the quit date.  I was soooooo scared as somewhere inside I knew that this was 'The big quit!'  I used all methods available to me.....ones I had tried before, and which failed me, and new ones such as Zyban.  I consulted my doctor and he gave me the Nicotine patches.  I worked out my coping mechanisms and my reward system.  Reading here did help with all of that, and as the day approached I bcame panicky, but I kept on organising.

I will not tell you that it was easy...it certainly was not!  What I did realise was that,  in all my other attempts, I did not have the determination to win the battle no matter what, and I did not have the help of the great quitters here at SSC.  Prepare for a battle!  Guard your quit no matter what anyone else says!  Give the Nicodemon a bloody nose!  We are here to help you......

What ever it takes, just don't smoke!!! 

Love Lolly.  
11 years ago 0 11213 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Alexa,

Welcome to the group! It looks like you have already received some great advice from our members so I don't have too much to add. I will confirm that how you are feeling is completely normal. Recognizing these fears is important in addressing them.  Keep reading through the forums and also be sure to read the entire program. Preparing for this quit with information is very important. Also plan on rewarding yourself often. Rewards are an important part of quitting process.

After reading all of these posts how are you feeling now? 

Ashley, Health Educator

Reading this thread: