Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,498 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Fwcl, anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA

Hi, I just joined.

11 years ago 0 2778 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Melinda!!!

You CAN do this!!!  Stick close, post as often as you need to and continue on through the Milestones in the Program!!!  One thing that you have to remember is that it takes on the "average" of 7 quit attempts to beat this addiction!  So, don't beat yourself up over not being able to quit through the cessation group.  It happened to me, too!   It took me several more attempts and an additional 30 years before I was able to finally quit!   It is HARD... probably the hardest thing you will ever do in your life!  It was for me, too!  The thing is, it's possible!!!  So, keep your head up, prepare, prepare, read and learn!  Educate yourself, prepare some more, psych yourself up, be determined and commit to N.O.P.E.!!!  That is what it takes to achieve freedom!  

The tools are here in the program, the support and information from all of those who have come before you is here in the forums!  We're here for you... you CAN do this!!!

Jim 
  • Quit Meter

$44,220.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1058 Hours: 8

Minutes: 8 Seconds: 44

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

11 years ago 0 3 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thank you, Ashley, I greatly appreciate it. 
I now keep my cigarettes outside in my car instead of allowing them in the house...  that way, I thought, I'd be smoking less.  Which I AM smoking less, but I still notice that I'm smoking a lot.  Starting to think I'm a basket case when it comes to quitting.   
I need to start the patch over again from the 21 mg...  only problem is, I can't afford it, and the smoking cessation group I was in (which provided it for free) is now over.
My mom says she'd get it for me, but I told her I hate for her to pay for my mistakes.  It isn't her fault I smoke--why should she have to pay $60? 
I'm still trying though...  Guess I just gotta crack down harder. 
11 years ago 0 11213 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome Melinda!

It sounds like you have carefully thought about this quit and are well prepared. Good for you!

Read through the program to further prepare. Also, plan on posting often in the support group. We will be here for you every step of the way.

Nice work in already finding a trigger - driving. What are some alternative coping mechanisms you could use instead of the unhealthy mechanisms (smoking). Perhaps listening to music, sipping on tea when sitting in traffic, etc. Finding alternative behaviours is a big part of quitting so the more you can work on this the better.

Looking forward to reading more from you.

Take care,

Ashley, Health Educator
11 years ago 0 3 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi!  My name is Melinda...  Well, I've been smoking for 4 years.  In March I went to a smoking cessation class, and actually succeeded in being quit for a month and 1 or 2 weeks.  Then I was hanging out with a new person I met and had a few cigarettes with him, and as you probably guessed it, I started up smoking again.  I've been fighting it ever since.  The biggest reason I want to quit (besides the fact that it's too expensive and for my health) is that it bothers my parents and my 2 young children.  My children were so over joyed when I quit the first time, and I really hate to disappoint them--they are my world, and I love them to death!
This morning, I smoked my last cigarette, and I really am going to put my best foot forward to try and actually quit for good this time. 
I'm already on the patch--I'm down to step 3 now.
I'm thinking about buying some fruit, and also some ice pops that don't have many calories... that way I can just grab one of them whenever I have a cigarette craving.
The hardest will be not smoking when I drive...  Driving stresses me out so much because of hold-up's, stupid drivers, etc., and I find myself always lighting up in the car.
(Oh, I'm not hanging out with that person anymore, btw...  one good thing...  at least the temptation won't be there that way, because everyone else I hang out with/live with don't smoke.)
Well, nice to meet everyone.  Hope you have a wonderful day, and best of luck to all!

*~Melinda~*

Reading this thread: