Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,520 Members

Please welcome our newest members: FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH, ALAICA, JD7, Ww12

So done, but need so much support.

12 years ago 0 11214 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Great work fighting through it Twiggie!

It will only get easier. How does it feel to be getting your house de-stunk?

Ashley, Health Educator
12 years ago 0 11 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Rough day today, patch I put on was defective; apparently it sometimes happens half hour into my day I was ready to go insane. I didn't buy any cigarettes and was so thankful I didn't keep any, this time around. I stopped and got some new patches and stuck one on, but seemed to struggle all day still. I did NOT give in though. I just stayed busy (and crabby..LOL). Rewarded myself by buying some healthy snacks and juices at store after work. Spent the evening washing walls and trying to get my house de-stunk. Glad today is over and know this too shall pass...
12 years ago 0 11214 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome Twiggie!

Congratulations on day one! How are you feeling today?

It sounds like you are off to a great start. You have the right mind set and it also sounds like a lot of information on addiction - this is important.  Reading through the program will be helpful also. It will help to prepare and motivate you. The more you can prepare the better. Also, set up a rewards system. Rewards are an important part of the quit process - how will you reward yourself today. Lastly and most importantly post often in the support group.  We are here to support you - you do not have to go through this alone.

Keep on fighting.  I look forward to reading about your success.

Ashley, Health Educator
Thanks Guys! Well one day down. It was not too bad, granted I have the patch on, but I was a two pack a day plus smoker, so it helps, but it doesn't make the urge go away completely. I love the N.O.P.E. posted it on sticky notes all over. I spent most of my day driving today, and surprisingly I had little urge to smoke. When I did I popped a lifesaver and turned up the radio. I CAN do this!! I appreciate all your encouragement. I am quite familiar with over coming addiction, as I said.. but this is a nasty demon. I know it's going to be tough, but I plan on sticking with it, no matter what. 
12 years ago 0 2778 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Twiggie!!!

Welcome to the SSC and Happy Quit Day!!!     If you haven't done so, you should go through the milestone in the Program here!  It really helps prepare you for your quit!  This is going to be one of the hardest, if not the hardest thing you will ever do in your life, but keep your eyes on the prize... FREEDOM!!!  Like Bill said, it is sooo worth it!  

Stick close, read and learn from your new quit buddies here in the forums!  Try to take it one minute, one hour, one day at a time!  Try to live by "N.O.P.E."... Not One Puff Ever!  That's all it takes!  

We're all rooting for you!!!  YOU  CAN  DO  THIS!!!

Jim 
  • Quit Meter

$44,265.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1059 Hours: 11

Minutes: 5 Seconds: 43

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

12 years ago 0 792 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Twig , you came to the right place. We are all in the same boat so Welcome Aboard ! I agree with Impala , ice water is a great help in the early going. Think of it as washing all those toxins out of your body because that is exactly what it is doing. It helped me to read all I could find on nicotine addiction. Education is a powerful quitting method.

Stick around, Read , Post and stop putting nicotine in your body. You will be Amazed at the transformation your body and mind will go through and I assure you that while the early going can be tough at times it is SOOOOOOOO WORTH IT !!!!

William - Free and Healing for One Year, Two Months, One Day, 1 Hour and 22 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 51 Days and 18 Hours, by avoiding the use of 14912 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me $6,829.28.
12 years ago 0 639 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome, Twiggie!  You are well on your way.  Your story is very familiar.  Now that you have got your 'mad' on and are tired of being the victim.....Post and read as much as possible. And drink tons of ice water.  We're all here to help each other.  You can do this!

Keep the Quit,

Dave 
  • Quit Meter

$50,480.15

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1124 Hours: 15

Minutes: 3 Seconds: 0

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

I am new here, not new to quitting. I am a  30 yr smoker and do not want to check out any time soon. Have a family history of smokers and have worked with people that die from smoking. I am a recovering alcoholic, so I know how, but knowing and doing are two different things. Unlike AA which is very prevalent, I have no actual "support group" to go to. I accidentally found this site, I am a firm believer in "God shots" ;). So, I am hoping to get some help. I had only 3 yesterday, today not so much. I am now done, no cigarettes in house, lighters and ashtrays gone. I am a business owner, married mother of 4 grown children and a two year old grand daughter. I am not "planning" or procrastinating this another minute. I am done. I hate the smell, sick of feeling like crap; coughing, fatigue. I have quit cold turkey for a day or two in past, my Dr. said, "No way" to the Chantix. So I am on the patch for now, had a lot of friends say it helps. Gum is out, have peppermints to keep oral fixation busy, and my schedule is full most of time; usually struggle first thing in morning and evenings when day is winding down. Open to all and any help, suggestions and support I can get.

Reading this thread: