Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,498 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Fwcl, anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA

Help yourself Quit!

13 years ago 0 12049 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Very Profound!

Thank you for this!

Josie, Health Educator
13 years ago 0 3875 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
After writing that post I came across an article about Christie Brinkley, and I quote:

"If you're feeling stressed out or sad, helping someone else will change it all for you.
The second you switch your focus to a meaningful cause, you're no longer thinking about your own pain, sadness, or anxiety. When you help someone else, your own fear disappears."

That's the reason that it helps you to help someone else, your focus isn't on 'poor me' anymore, its on helping someone else who is going through the same withdrawals and issues that you are!
Thanks Christie!

13 years ago 0 3875 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
This world of ours is fast becoming a 'me' planet, especially with the younger generation where social websites and computer chat rooms and cellphones have become more popular than personal contact with real people. They say our children won't have the 'social skills' that we did growing up and that the world is becoming a different place as this generation hasn't learned how to deal with 'the public' or learned how to meet real people. There is some truth to that. Human beings are social beings, no question there. But how does that relate to us, seeking support on a quit smoking website?
Well, today I notice there are some 75 people browsing this site. While I know that some people don't want to part take in joining the site or in posting and talking to others, it makes me wonder if people realize that the contact with others is exactly what you need when you are trying to quit smoking. The more support from as many people as possible the better, right?
When I joined this site in 2007, people tended to hang together in groups. If you look way back in the archives, you'll see that groups of quitters gathered together with quit buddies that quit in the same month and they gave their group a name, and supported each other from day one all the way through  the journey. It made quitting alot more fun!
What I see missing here is that more people are browsing and not posting much these days, and while many people have quit just by being a browsing member, I can't help but wonder if they know how much more helpful it is to your own quit, when you jump in and post and help someone else. It really does help you, when you help others.
There are quitters from all around the world on this site, from London, to USA, Brazil, Ireland, Canada etc, so do jump in and post. You may make a wonderful friend that you may want to meet in person someday. (There are many who have.)  Get to know some of the people on this site. It really makes a difference when you help others.
Please do come and join us!

Reading this thread: