Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,526 Members

Please welcome our newest members: eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH

A beginning for a new, better future!

13 years ago 0 1904 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome to SSC Serotonin! Make this the attempt that leads you to quit for good. I was listening to a personal trainer the other day, and I liked what he said: "Just wanting to do something is not motivation. You're motivated when you've run out of excuses." Hey! Hey! Sounds corny, but in the gym and, I guess here now, I'm telling people to just do it. Make this stuff a no brainer. When I quit smoking, I asked myself, "If not now, then when? When would it be a better time."  And I was willing to do whatever it took. No excuses. Congrats. You are doing it.
13 years ago 0 3207 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Cravings are strong for the first few days and weeks, but they will pass, really they will. Treat yourself nicely, breathe through each crave, jump in the shower..or just stand there...up to you. You can't smoke in there. Drink ice water, use positive self talk. Argue with that junkie! Each crave lasts only what? a few minutes? Get through it, congratulate yourself, and move on to something else. Have to confess, I used spoonfuls of peanut butter, yogurt, or cottage cheese as rewards for passing through those initial craves. Just do whatever works for you. Just don't give in. Not One Puff Ever (NOPE) and it will soon be so much better. Promise.
13 years ago 0 3307 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Glad you are here.  SSC is amazing and you will find support and you don't' have to do this alone.  Read old post, you post and just keep coming back.

I do have one question, where did you get the cigarette that you smoked?  If you have any around get rid of them and go around and gather up all the old butts and put them in a plastic bad and pour water on them.  Get rid of all temptations.  One old nasty butt can ruin everything.

With that said Welcome

Keep the Quit
Sparky
13 years ago 0 11 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thank you for your support Ashley,

It's certain that I will feel great if I can say 'I'm smoke free for one year' one day. There are lots of benefits of it, I've written them down as a list. I must say that I've just logged in because just a few minutes ago I had a strong craving :( I couldn't keep my mind off it for a while. I think I overcame it for this time, but this is only my first day, same thing will happen again, and I'm afraid of giving in.  I was smoking way too much (more than 40 per day), so even though I'm using nicotine patch, extreme desire comes and forces me to smoke. I could resist that craving for this time, I'll do my best for the following cravings, but I'm still afraid of starting smoking again, the craving was really strong.
I believe I have also formed a persistent habit, it's not only the nicotine dependence. If it was only nicotine dependence that's forcing me to smoke, nicotine patch would be enough. I hope I can go on being smoke free...
13 years ago 0 11214 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome back Serotonin!

It sounds like you have a good plan!  Keep posting and reading, we will support you through this!

How do you think you will feel when you do type, "I am smoke free for 1 year."?

Ashley, Health Educator
Thanks for your support Talulha...

First few days are critical for me, if I can handle them, lots of promlems(not all) will be solved. I've already bought gums, sugar-free soda, and some other things to aid me. Yesterday, I somehow forgot them and gave in to the craving. I hope it won't happen again. I should remind myself that it's not fate, it's in my hands.
13 years ago 0 57 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi there, don't worry about the slip, forget it and move on...on to getting through one day at a time and not smoking. I remember I had to take it one hour at a time because a day sounded too much  and impossible, honestly it's not. Remember why you want to give up and learn from all the slips you had in the past. If a slip occured because you were a little down be sure to do things that keep you cheerful etc. Always have a plan ready to put into action. That's one of the  first things I learned I guess, have a plan and go with it when necessary, regardless of who is around at the time or what they think. I had to go over this again during the Xmas holidays, my house is now no-smoking, that's one of my escape plans!!! Easy on yourself and have a wonderful smoke free day!
Thank you friends,

Umm, I don't know how to tell, I had a minor slip yesterday, the thing makes me feel bad about it is yesterday was my first smoke-free day. I do know why it happened, but slipping on the first day makes me feel frustrated. Anyway, I feel stronger now, and today IS the my first smoke-free day, if I handle it for first few days, it will be much easier for me to continue.
13 years ago 0 3207 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome back, serotonin,
Sounds like you know what to do...and not do. The site tends to be a little quieter than in days past, but there are still plenty quitters around to cheer you on. Any particular kind of help you need, or any old threads you'd like to find but haven't been able to?

As you know, you CAN do this and I too hope one day you'll have x number of years of not smoking behind you.

-aloha
13 years ago 0 3875 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome to the SSC Serotonin! This is the best place to be! You've been here before, but check out the program and run through as many old posts as you can. There is a wealth of info here to help you quit and stay quit!
I hope you have gotten a little quit cart together with candy, gum, straws, etc etc. Ice water really helps kill the cravings, and go a step further and rearrange your routines a bit in the am and such. It really helps knock those cravings for a loop. It sounds like you're ready. Yes, it is an addiction and once you realize that, you know what you have to do. The first couple of weeks make sure you pamper yourself alot, lots of extra sleep, lots of water and fresh veggies will help you flush out the nicotine. Vitamin B complex helps too. Treat yourself kindly, as you are really go through a recovery here. We are here to help you. Post lots, there's usually someone around to answer. 
Use self talk alot. There are a lot of 'old posts' bumped up fpr new quitters this time of year, take time to read all of them, they are great!
Again, welcome!

Reading this thread: