Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 9:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.750 posts in 47.055 threads.

160,542 Members

Please welcome our newest members: MBERNICE ASTRID, SLOVELY MAE, BXAMUELLE CHRISTIEN, Heinz57, eggmegrolf

Once more with feeling.

13 years ago 0 206 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Also, Tom, Brenda hit on something really important you may not have seen around here yet, but you will.  The word "HALT," which is a reminder to avoid letting yourself ever get too hungry, angry, lonely, or tired.  I've also seen people add an S on the end, to include "scared," which was a big trigger for me.  We can say that this stuff just sort of happens to us, but it doesn't.  We choose to allow hunger, anger, loneliness, and tiredness to take hold when we give up control of our lives.  Controlling each of these four (or five) conditions is an enormous step toward recognizing our ability to control the addiction as well.

My only question is whenever I call my computer help desk, how come I never get you??  I get the guy who sits next to you and started taking English as a Fourth Language last week.  Give me your private line, okay?

peteg
13 years ago 0 2778 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Tom!

Chantix can be a miracle drug and it was for me!  Since it is doing it's job by reducing your cravings, it's now time to get psyched up about being a non-smoker!  You'll be tempted for some time because of the situation you are in over there, but you just have to get into the mindset that you want your quit more than anything else in the world!

I sort of considered it as being in a war with the nico-demon and I had to have the determination and commitment to never lose even one battle!  I wanted freedom bad and I was not going to let that little sucker get the best of me!    That's what it is all about... N.O.P.E. !!!  We're all just a puff away from a pack a day!!!

Choose Freedom!

Jim
  • Quit Meter

$44,310.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1060 Hours: 10

Minutes: 19 Seconds: 56

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

13 years ago 0 3 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks for the tips you guys.  It is very funny but after blowing day one I am having a very easy time of it.  I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop.
Yesterday I did just fine but did get a little crappy with the waiter at the place I eat often.  I left a big tip to make up for it.  And really today, while sort of wanting them, I can't say I have been suffering.  Maybe the Champix is the wonder drug after all. 
Yes, Spain is a very smoky place.  You know I once loved it for being that.  Strange, huh?  India has gotten pretty serious with their smoking laws.  All of this is pretty new.  Everyone in my line of work smokes and it is actually still considered. chic to do so here.  Odd world.
Best,
Tom
13 years ago 0 1904 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Being tired does also weaken you. Try to get sufficient rest.
13 years ago 0 57 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi India Tom, I had to do the same, I had to put my social life on hold too but only for a little while till  I felt stronger, you're talking to a world champion stopper 'n starter here but keep going, keep coming to this site, and above all keep believing that you can do this, you can. Where I live it's also impossible to avoid smokers, there isn't even a no-smoking section in most restaurants and as for the bars...well you have to have a drink in a fug of smoke but it's possible, honestly it is. Talk, scream and fight with yourself, and after a short while you can actually talk yourself out of that cigarette in that moment. I found drinking cold water, cold grapefruti juice helpful, walking my dogs when it was possible helped too. Go for it!!!
13 years ago 0 3 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks for getting back to me.
I think the topic will now be changed to Once More With Feeling Part Two.
I was doing so well yesterday.  So well in fact I was completely stunned how easy it all was.  Not a craving to speak of until...Well, I managed to get myself way over scheduled yesterday socially in the evening.  I was doing fine with it too and even at one point meet a friend in an outside cafe who smoked and it didn't phase me at all.
I had a late night dinner with another friend and he brought a friend along.  Another smoker who happened to pull out a pack of cigarettes which were the same color  as my favorite brand here and there you have it.  I didn't mooch one of his being the pack was unopened and the restaurant was nonsmoking anyway but at the end of a long day I had to walk past my favorite corner store and thought I might just pop in and did.  Anyway, I ended up smoking 6 cigarettes between 11PM and 2AM.  I flushed the pack before I went to sleep.  So, today is a new day.
What did I learn?  Well, maybe it is best to keep my social life on hold a bit and not get so tired.  I think that did it. Let me remind you guys it is almost impossible to avoid smoking and smokers where I live so I will just have to learn how to deal with that. I did have that thought once again before buying the pack.  That is I asked myself if I was ready to once again go through several months of torment and there never seems to be an end in sight.  The longest  I lasted was 3 months and I was having very strong cravings the entire time.  It is like it never really got easier.
But, alas, I am back on the wagon today and once again can say I am doing great.  Not one craving at all.Thanks again for getting back to me.
Oh, someone needs to tip me off on how to set my freedom meter.
Thanks,
Tom 
Hello forcemac. I think a lot of people may not know you are a newcomer, or here even, because you didn't start your own thread, but I want to welcome you, too. How to vacation with two heavy smokers? Ask yourself, If not now, then when? How badly do you want to quit? How difficult was it for you to get this quit going? (Remember to add in all of the attempts that came before it.) Other will have other suggestions for you, as soon as they recognize that you are here.
Welcome, Tom. The others have offered excellent advice. To quit, I had to realize that I really didn't enjoy smoking. I hated withdrawing and smoked because I was addicted. More mental preparation may be necessary. Keep re-enforcing your quit by building coping skills before crises hit. Again, welcome.
13 years ago 0 2778 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey "G"!!!

Way to jump right on in!!!   Stick close and read and learn as much as you can here while you can!!!  Pay close attention to coping mechanisms and make yourself out a list of them to take with you!  Deep breathing and plenty of ice water is probably going to be a great first choice!!!  Also, think REWARDS!!!   I know that a great tropical vacation will probably be one of them, but try to think of some little ones to use for beating a crave here and there!

Like I said, stick close try to get the most out of the site and your new quit buddies here before you board that plane! 

Jim
  • Quit Meter

$44,310.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1060 Hours: 10

Minutes: 19 Seconds: 56

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

13 years ago 0 30 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I also decided to quit today!!!!! Wow here we go cold turkey with gum if it gets crazy!!! Next week I go on a tropical vacation with 2 heavy smokers....how will I make it I'm not sure yet.

-G

Reading this thread: