Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-20 2:48 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.755 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,664 Members

Please welcome our newest members: MNJD, kybrg, Jhancke, CKYLA ASHLEY, PGOMEZ

Hello, I'm New Here

14 years ago 0 625 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome to SSC.  Absolutely the best place to rid yourself of any tobacco addiction.  Post all you need and you will get help.

All of us had to find things to keep busy with.....boredom was a a bad thing in our Quits too.  Many did it by rearranging the "old" areas that triggered the craves....anything to keep the hands busy.  Maybe you could take up a new hobby that would keep you busy and occupy the time.

You can do this
Keep the Quit
Bob

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 1/27/2009
Smoke-Free Days: 183
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 5,490
Amount Saved: $768.60
Life Gained:
Days: 38 Hrs: 7 Mins: 9 Seconds: 59

14 years ago 0 1843 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

Welcome to the SSC and congratulations on 8 nicotine free days!  I'm still waiting for the screenplay and movie from some of my earlier posts, so please don't apologize for your introduction!  I still have to choose who will play me in the movie "Rockin Smoke Free!"  LOL!  We all want to meet you and help you on the path to nicotine freedom!

Use the search feature on this site to look up topics related to your quit.  Jim suggested some information on dipping too  There is a wealth of information from prior quitters (I mean winners!!!)  Go through "my program" so you have a quit plan in place to tackle the tough situations.  Reward yourself for every nicotine free day and every nicotine free week.  And remember that this quit is all about YOU!  Treat yourself like royalty as you deserve it!  You are making one of the best decisions you've ever made!  We're all rooting for your success!

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 8/20/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 342
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 13,680
Amount Saved: $3,420.00
Life Gained:
Days: 51 Hrs: 2 Mins: 35 Seconds: 47

14 years ago 0 597 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Glad you are joining us!  Congrats on 8 days nico-free!  That is terrific!
My Milage:

My Quit Date: 10/22/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 279
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 11,160
Amount Saved: $2,232.00
Life Gained:
Days: 31 Hrs: 10 Mins: 13 Seconds: 50

• Quit Meter

$52,560.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 743 Hours: 11

Minutes: 2 Seconds: 13

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

14 years ago 0 51 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Yes welcome aboard.  You have picked the right support site.  I was so happy that I found this free support site.  Everyone here is AWSOME, so supportive and helpful.  Yes it doesn't matter how you get your nicotine, but so glad that you are kicking the habit.  Glad you made that choice before you invested half your life into it like a lot of us here.  Hang tough...you can do it.
My Milage:

My Quit Date: 1/5/2009
Smoke-Free Days: 204
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 3,060
Amount Saved: $563.04
Life Gained:
Days: 19 Hrs: 21 Mins: 28 Seconds: 43

14 years ago 0 955 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
gmeis,

Welcome to the boards and no need to apologize! Thank you for sharing your own experience with smoking.

It is great to hear that you were able to take control of your quit and your health, and you have already made it to day 8! That's amazing!

Continue to post and let us know how you are doing. We are here for you whenever you need us!

Sarah, Health Educator
  • Quit Meter

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 0 Hours: 0

Minutes: 0 Seconds: 0

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

14 years ago 0 639 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Excellent decision, young man.  Your story starts like so many of ours.  It took me 34 years and $40,000 in contributions to the tobacco companies to get the message!  Invest $2k a year instead and retire early!!!!
You can do this.  Stick with it......

Dave

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 1/19/2009
Smoke-Free Days: 187
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 5,610
Amount Saved: $1,472.63
Life Gained:
Days: 30 Hrs: 12 Mins: 28 Seconds: 26

• Quit Meter

$50,670.09

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1128 Hours: 20

Minutes: 8 Seconds: 13

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

14 years ago 0 1904 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome!

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 5/1/2009
Smoke-Free Days: 85
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 2,295
Amount Saved: $860.63
Life Gained:
Days: 9 Hrs: 6 Mins: 42 Seconds: 59

14 years ago 0 95 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome Gmeis...glad to have you here with us..No need to apologize for your post...That is one reason for the forum to give you a place to let your feelings out and vent or ask for support or lend it..post as much and ever how long you need too..Well it is good that you quit smoking and that you have decided to quit dipping also and congratulations on 8 days dip and nicotine free...Your doing great and your through hell week so the worst is behind you now..Stay strong and keep saying NOPE and stay close if you need us and read alot of the post here for great advice and tips on what to expect and what to do...Also set up your quit meter so you can track your success...Glad to see a young adult willing and changing their life for the better..Your a great inspiration to all of us..

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 7/30/2009
Smoke-Free Days: -5
Cigarettes Not Smoked: -100
Amount Saved: $-20.00
Life Gained:
Days: 0 Hrs: 0 Mins: 0 Seconds: -27005

14 years ago 0 916 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome to SSC and congratulations on your 7 days nicotine free.
You have gone trough the physical withdral phase and now you are into the mental part of the addiction.
Grab your ice water, keep your hands busy, ant take one moment at a time.
Deep breathing helps a lot too.
Stay commited to your decision and you will succeed!!
Marivi

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 1/23/2009
Smoke-Free Days: 182
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 2,730
Amount Saved: $273.00
Life Gained:
Days: 20 Hrs: 18 Mins: 35 Seconds: 42

14 years ago 0 1 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi, before continuing I would like to apologize for writing a text wall.  Right now I am 19 years old and I quit dipping 8 days ago.  I started smoking when I was 17 years old after I joined the Army Reserves out of an attempt to be cool.  I did not think of it that way at the time, but that was my primary reason for smoking in the first place.  I had initially started at only a few cigarettes a day, but the habit quickly escalated into a pack or two a day by the time my 18th birthday rolled around.  I had started to notice a big increase in my run times and figured that it was time to quit smoking.

Instead of quitting though, I just simply switched how it was administered.  My mind reasoned that I wasn't addicted to the nicotine, I just simply liked it and had to cut out smoking to improve my lungs.  At first smoking cessation was a little difficult, but after a while I stopped smoking completely, and I actually have a very strong aversion to smoking even now.  However, much like injecting morphine to curb a heroin addiction, I was still left with the basic problem.

Fast forward to now, and my habits had gotten worse.  For the past year or so I have had nicotine in my body all day every day.  I always dipped since dip can be used anywhere.  If I even went for thirty minutes without dipping I would start to have withdrawal effects.  I couldn't even make it through a class in college without starting to feel spaced.  I have had quitting on my mind for some time now, but never made any real attempts at it.  Only a few half-hearted ones.

However, a week ago my father was talking to me about quitting, and I just joked lightly that I would quit one day because I didn't want to end up as one of those toothless 40 year olds.  I went to sleep and the next day I didn't have any more dip left.  I was gearing up to go down to the store when I remembered what I said.  Which day would be one day?  When I was twenty? twenty-five? thirty?  So I figured that that day was as good as any and simply gave it up cold turkey.

So that is my story.  It's been eight days and the worst of the physical symptoms are over, the only thing left to do is get over the urge to throw in a lip when I'm bored.

Reading this thread: