Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,526 Members

Please welcome our newest members: eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH

hello.. new.. looking for some advice.

15 years ago 0 802 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Megan - welcome.  I can't add much more to what's already been said, but I just wanted to welcome you to our non-smoking family.  Stay close and let us help you get this beat.  Best wishes.
My Milage:

My Quit Date: 1/3/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 462
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 9,240
Amount Saved: $3,511.20
Life Gained:
Days: 50 Hrs: 11 Mins: 14 Seconds: 41

15 years ago 0 955 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Megan,

Welcome to the boards and congratulations on making the decision to become a non-smoker! Making the decision to quit smoking can be a bit overwhelming, however you have received a lot of great advice from other members here on how to make this successful for you! 

As other members have mentioned, setting a quit date is unique for every member. It will often depend on how much preparation time you need what quit strategies you need to put in place prior to your quit. If you feel like April 25th is a realistic quit date for you then go for it! You are the only one that can determine the route of your quit!

Keep us updated on how your preparation goes. We are here for you whenever you need us!

Sarah, Health Educator
  • Quit Meter

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 0 Hours: 0

Minutes: 0 Seconds: 0

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

15 years ago 0 1843 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Megan, welcome to the SSC!  My story is similar to Bob's.  I also went Cold Turkey, a couple days of discomfort as the nicotine was leaving my system, then things got easier.  I listed to all the wonderful advice I was given.  I drank tons of iced water to flush the toxins out of my body.  I rewarded myself after each craving passed, after each smoke free day, and after each smoke free week.  I found things to keep me busy.  And if things got stressful, I would avoid or leave the situation.  As for picking a quit date, that really is a personal decision.  I know many people here picked a quit date 2-3 weeks in the future, but then quit after a couple days of preparation as they wanted to get started.  Whatever you do, just make sure you are prepared.  Go through "my program" so you are 110% prepared for this.  Read, read, and read some more!  Do a search here on the different NRTs to see how they worked for others.  Or do searches on Cold Turkey for advice on that method.  Post as often as you need as somebody is always here.  Just remember that we are all rooting for your success!  One last thing : Temporary inconvience will yield wonderful permanent improvment.  Don't focus on the withdrawal.  Focus on how wonderful your life will be when you are a non-smoker!  Just remember this quit is all about YOU!!!
My Milage:

My Quit Date: 8/20/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 232
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 9,280
Amount Saved: $1,856.00
Life Gained:
Days: 34 Hrs: 15 Mins: 21 Seconds: 51

15 years ago 0 17 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Megan - You did come to the right place. Everyone is very helpful and I find it great to check in when I am having a craving.  I realize that I am not alone in what I am feeling and many have gone through it.  The support here is great.  Also, I find the milestone tracker helpful as I don't want to have to start all over again. While it may be tough at first it gets easier.  Once you decide to finally quit you just have to keep your eye on the target and remember the benefits - not smelling like smoke, saving money and better health. I like being able to hug friends and family and not worrying about whether I smell.    You have to decide when it  is right for you.  I orginally planned on setting my date as April 1st as that was when the federal tax was going up.  The price of cigarettes went up a few weeks before that where I live and were well over  $7:00  a  pack and I had been telling myself the past  year that I  would quit when they got over $7:00.  But then something inside me told me I had to quit on March 26th.   I realized it was the 6 th anniversary of my father's death due to cancer that was proably the result of his smoking.  So while I didn't feel quite ready I set that as the date anyway as I knew that it would be hard no matter what date I set and I was just putting off the inevitable. I wish the best of luck
My Milage:

My Quit Date: 3/26/2009
Smoke-Free Days: 14
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 140
Amount Saved: $52.50
Life Gained:
Days: 1 Hrs: 16 Mins: 24 Seconds: 9

15 years ago 0 625 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi and welcome to SSC Megan

Not a lot more I can say.  I Quit cold turkey and had 3-4 days of withdrawal.  It wasn't easy, but it wasn't really all that hard either.  I rested a lot and came here and yelled some.  I ranted about wanting a smoke.  Then I waited for 5 replies and that particular craving was gone.  Most of us here have been there.  We all survived and you can too.  

Your Quit has to be about you and you have to want it.  You need to really be good to yourself and reward yourself for those wins against the craves, for getting through each day.  You'll get all the help here you will ever need when you decide it's your time.  You didn't say how many a day you smoked but I was a 2 pack a day smoker for LOTS of years. 

You CAN do  this.......
Huggggg
Bob

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 1/27/2009
Smoke-Free Days: 72
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 2,160
Amount Saved: $302.40
Life Gained:
Days: 15 Hrs: 2 Mins: 50 Seconds: 14

15 years ago 0 1080 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Megan and welcome! Breather is so right when he tells you that every quit is individual. Yes we all have commanalities, but on the whole we all find a way that works for us.
I did a cut down, before I made the final commitment to quit. I was a little like you, apprehensive about how I was going to cope with the cravings and the withdrawal, and for that reason I kept postponing the actual 'day'!!
I think my cut down lasted 4 or 5 weeks believe it or not! and then one day out of the blue, I just slapped on a patch, thinking lets see what happens if it works it works if it dont it dont.

That was almost a year ago Megan, and please believe me when I say I am very very lucky and I know it because from that day I never desired another cigarette,  no withdrawal, no cravings. Yes, I had psychological things to deal with like change of routine, and physical symptoms from the patches such as nausea, bizarre (but fun) dreams. But as for cravings, didn't happen.
I truly believe my experience was a combination of my determination to quit, my patches and this site the SSC.

I know what happened to me is rare but you might have the same or similar experience, it may not be as bad you think its going to be, and you are so young. You have time to more or less undo any damage you might have done already. My biggest regret is not doing this years ago when I was young like you. Good Luck Megan I for one will be supporting you.

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 5/10/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 334
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 8,350
Amount Saved: $5,010.00
Life Gained:
Days: 39 Hrs: 9 Mins: 55 Seconds: 35

15 years ago 0 816 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Megan If you want to stop smoking you've come to the right place. Everyone is different. You do what's right for you. Some people use a nicotine replacement therapy and some quit cold turkey. There is a lot of support here and I for one am with you on your decision to stop. You're the most important person here. It's not easy but it is worth it. After three days the nicotine is out of your system and then it's a mental not physical battle. There will be other members that will have suggestions on how to stay smoke free so check back oftem. It takes the average person seven tries to finally stop so don't be to hard on yourself if you don't make it right away. It's not easy but it's soooo worth it. breather 149 Addict 0

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 11/11/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 149
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 7,450
Amount Saved: $3,576.00
Life Gained:
Days: 27 Hrs: 7 Mins: 39 Seconds: 55

15 years ago 0 3 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello. Im Megan. and just started the program today.. i was reading through the material, and got a little nervous about the withdrawls.. eek! not something im looking forward too. ive been smoking for 9 years, and its time to stop, im so young and so out of shape. I havent set my "quit" date yet, I'm doing the diary, and then gonna go from there to see how much i smoke a day and so forth. But i was wondering how long everyone else took before setting there "quit" date. Wondering if it was a week, 2 a month or what.. just curious. and not sure.. i was thinking by 25th of april.. but is that to long? And also, how bad are the withdrawl symptoms.. those are starting to make me pretty nervous.

Reading this thread: