Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,631 Members

Please welcome our newest members: RPABIA, TEBON, SJOLINE GEL, Duncan Brown, BBEA ANGELIC

Trying again... and this time I'll be prepared

16 years ago 0 4 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Well, I'm back on SSC. I tried using this site once before, but without much luck (my own fault). I have not had much luck finding support groups in the area, so I think online will be the best option for me. I have been a smoker for almost 4 years now. I began smoking just as an occasional social thing. Soon, I began seeking opportunities to smoke with others. Then, smoking alone passed the time. Now, however, I have reached a point of being remarkably embarrassed about my habit. You may know the feeling when you're sitting at a stop-light hoping no one you know pulls up and sees you smoking, or the constant scrubbing of your hands and spraying of perfume hoping you can cover up the smell, having to buy new purses because they soon absorb the scent, even walking several blocks from work cause I don't want my colleagues to see me light up. I'm tired of it and ready to start moving on. Moreover, I'm terrified of the idea that if I keep smoking there will come a day where I will have to explain it to my daughter who is now only a year old. So here I am. Researching, researching, researching. Looking to make some smoke-free friends; I live with my boyfriend who is a smoker and our two roommates, one who smokes and one who chews. Luckily, they have also expressed an interest in quitting (maybe I can start a trend!). I plan to leave myself little notes and reminders and try to reduce my triggers (no more smoking in the car, no more working on my computer from our office/garage, etc). I've set a quit date that is a ways off simply because, in the past, my quit dates have been too close for me, and I have felt overly pressured as they approached. I think small changes will be best for me in the long-run. Anyway, I am known to ramble on so for now I'll just say hello! Add me to your Messenger Buddy List. I work online, so I'll be on almost all the time. Best of luck to everyone out there!

Reading this thread: