Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,517 Members

Please welcome our newest members: AABBYGAIL RUTH, ALAICA, JD7, Ww12, Fwcl

4 1/2 days to go

17 years ago 0 207 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
JDK, sounds like you are going to be on the right track. I quit cold turkey, and with the help of this site and suckers,hard candy, I am working on year 2. Stay strong, drink lots of water, and don't forget to take DEEP SLOW breaths when you get the urge. Also, for a GREAT LAUGH, find the post here about "excessive gas", funny stuff. THIS IS YOUR TIME TO SHINE!!! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 4/2/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 367 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 14,695 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $2202 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 54 [B]Hrs:[/B] 13 [B]Mins:[/B] 39 [B]Seconds:[/B] 1
17 years ago 0 1113 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Kayla, Thanks for your post. I've tried most of the patches on the market, which actually makes me want to smoke more. The gum and lozenges also seemed to have the same effect. One brand (Nicotinell) didn't so was the most successful (I managed to stop smoking for a couple of days). Cold turkey is the only thing that I have been even close to successful at. (5 days last year) :) I've picked friday which is a bank holiday here in the UK, so I will be spending a lot of time here giving a running commentary on how I am doing day by day. I know days 1-4 (especially day 2 for some reason) are my danger days. The difference this time from all other times is that I have joined this site, worked up the courage to post and had some really supporting feedback via this forum. Its already helped a lot and may be the thing that pulls me through the first couple of days (it's getting closer). Kind Regards Kevin [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 4/6/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] -1 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 0 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �0 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 0 [B]Mins:[/B] 0 [B]Seconds:[/B] 0
17 years ago 0 156 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Kevin and Welcome, Have you considered any quit smoking aids? This might help you in your quit besides your strong disire to quit. I'm using the nicoderm patch and it has helped me a great deal. The best by far has been posting and reading the other forums on this site. If boredom gets to you then come on here and read or post. We get smoke breaks for 10 mins in the morning and the afternoon. When everyone goes outside to smoke I log into this site and read. It keeps me occupied and I am not outside in the rain or snow smoking. Actually I never realized how bad I smelled until now. When they come in it stinks pretty bad:) There are so many more pleasures being smoke free and I look forward to enjoying them more and more everday. We are here for you at any time and any hour. Plan a good hike for your first days, stock up on water, licorice sticks, gum and get some sleep it is exhausting. Have faith and take it one day at a time. Stay close and remember we're here for you!!! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/16/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 18 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 658 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $198 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 18 [B]Mins:[/B] 53 [B]Seconds:[/B] 9
Hi Martha, you've hit the nail on the head! Boredom, possibly, is my number 1 biggest factor in my previous failings. Home is not generally a problem (as long as I don't convince myself to go into the pub in the first week :) ). Work, however is a bit more tricky, there is only so many times I can walk to the canteen and back while the others go for a smoke. I've got to think of something else to do to break the monotony, if only for the first couple of weeks when I most likely to be closer to slipping back to my old ways. I guess I could count the number of pencils in the stationary cupboard :) On a more serious note, I guess I could just turn around and do some word searches. I'll have to think of more things to take my mind off it. Kind Regards Kevin p.s. that is one heck of a quit counter there. Well done and congratulations. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 4/6/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] -2 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 0 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �0 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 0 [B]Mins:[/B] 0 [B]Seconds:[/B] 0
17 years ago 0 1151 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Kevin, You've gotten a lot of really good advice and you are wise to prepare as much as you can. Just a couple of other things you might want to consider - 4 days is a lot of time. You may want to plan some activities in advance so that you minimize the amount of time you'll be thinking about your old patterns and habits. Maybe things you've wanted to catch up on or things you couldn't/wouldn't do as a smoker. Also, as you smoke your last cigarettes over the next couple of days really watch what's going on. Think of all the things you'll be grateful to let go of - the smell, the breathe, notice how much time you are spending on smoking and try to get excited about being free from all these things. The only other thing I can suggest is to get some ideas for rewards and also some strategies for what you can do if cravings become very strong. It's much easier to do beforehand so that if you aren't thinking straight, you already have an exit strategy in place. One cigarette at a time and one day at a time. All the best! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 8/5/2004 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 970 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 19,410 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $4365 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 74 [B]Hrs:[/B] 20 [B]Mins:[/B] 8 [B]Seconds:[/B] 0
  • Quit Meter

$36,959.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 639 Hours: 4

Minutes: 47 Seconds: 5

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Thanks Whynot, Found the thread and am checking it out now. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 4/6/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] -3 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 0 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �0 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 0 [B]Mins:[/B] 0 [B]Seconds:[/B] 0
Thanks Josie, I use the interactive Workbook/Glove Compartment at work and the printed version for home as a constant reminder and guide. I will be looking at it often. Theres quite a few others (heavy smokers) that are keeping track of my progress using this programme (SSC workbook etc), quite a few on the verge of attempting to quit and using the 'if he can quit, so can I' approach. So I am hoping to be successful. One thing for sure, is that the positivity of the forum is a major plus! Kind Regards Kevin [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 4/6/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] -3 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 0 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �0 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 0 [B]Mins:[/B] 0 [B]Seconds:[/B] 0
17 years ago 0 249 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey JDK Just wanted to pop in and say Congrats on making your best decision yet. You are doing something for yourself that alot of smokers are never able to. That deserves to be recgonized. Also, glad to see you have been preparing yourself for this quit, thats super important to make sure you are a flaming success. Keep reading and post all you can. It really is a great distraction and the wonderful people here will do all they can to help you through this. Oh and I bumped a thread for you...it was posted by Butterfly Swimmer and titled A horrible killer! I dont know about anyone else, but once I decided to quit, these stories really help me to keep going. Good Luck, you can do this!! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/15/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 46 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,160 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $379.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 3 [B]Hrs:[/B] 7 [B]Mins:[/B] 21 [B]Seconds:[/B] 36
17 years ago 0 12049 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
JDK, Welcome and please take a look around. The site provides many avenues of information as well as support and knowledge. We are always here to assist you and can be of great assistance to you. Preparing for this journey is an excellent start and please let us know if you need anything :) Post often and let us answer your questions and concerns. Josie ______________________ The SSC Support Team.
Thanks Tutti, thats some really useful advice. The water thing is not a problem. In fact i've 'doctored' my water with Bach Rescue Remedy, which seems to have a very good effect on my aggression and wanting a cigarette levels. Other things I have also done is buy loads of chillout music (Pete Namlook, Plastikman etc) beforehand. That seems to help too. Next thing is to combine both on my quit date. Sunflower seeds? Thats a new one on me. My mum has been trying to find any fruit or vegetables that I like, but so far to no avail. :-) Computers are a wierd one as supposedly, you're supposed to have a 5min break every hour. Normally this would mean eight of us sauntering down to the smoking room as our beak. Hopefully next week it will be 7 of them and me walking to the canteen, buying some water and coming back (exercise etc). In my normal, quit without preperation events. I've either lasted 6hrs before I am subconciously walking to the shops and buying a pack of 20 Royals (most common) or lasted 4 days (my longest so far) before realising that I didn't clear out all my coats of lighters and cigarettes. I'm learning to be more thorough in checking all my coats and bags. Btw, 43 days! Thats impressive. Thanks for your support. Kind Regards Kevin (aka JDK) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 4/6/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] -3 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 0 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �0 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 0 [B]Mins:[/B] 0 [B]Seconds:[/B] 0

Reading this thread: