Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,500 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Fwcl, anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA

I'm scared

17 years ago 0 5 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
You're so right..I think I'll go to the preparing to quit section now and make that plan. Thank you all so much for the support.
I'm afraid of the irritability...I have a boyfriend (a year now) that I don't want to chase away...He smokes too..the last time I quit for a week he told me to start again.
Thanks so much for the support...when do I take the plunge..I have 2 cigarettes in my pack.
Hi everyone! I just came to this site 15 minutes ago. I was planning to go to a smoker's anon meeting this coming Monday, but I think this might work better for me. I'm a closet smoker...I haven't quit yet...I have no clue what I'm afraid of. Has anyone else felt that way? denise
17 years ago 0 357 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Denise, Welcome! I hope you find this site as helpful as I have. I like it because it takes you through a whole preparation phase before you quit- this aspect was missing in all my previos quits. For me this is much better than a meeting or support person calling you. I too have always been a closet smoker, most of my co-workers and some of my family don't know I smoke (or at least don't tell me they know) so I haven't been able to share my quit with many people. I find this site to be full of useful information and numerous people willing to share their experiences and offer support and encouragement. Good luck and visit often!! Dupe [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/11/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 2 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 43 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $6.4 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 6 [B]Mins:[/B] 16 [B]Seconds:[/B] 12
17 years ago 0 1040 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi, Denise... and welcome! Sure, I was scared. And sometimes I still am. Scared I can't adjust to living without cigarettes... because that's the way I've lived for so long. But everyday that passes makes me a little more confident, and a little more accepting of myself as a nonsmoker. If this is what you want and if you're willing to walk through the fire for a short while... you can have a new life, a better life. But you have to accept some pain. You have to be in this for the long-haul, or you won't make it. There are things, like Zyban or Nicotine Patches that will alleviate some of the physical withdrawal, but there will still be the psychological changes... and they're usually a bonafide challenge. It will take a sustained effort and a committment to stay with it. But many of us are doing it. Some, like me, for only a short while, and others for several years. It's being done all the time. Millions of people have proven and are proving that there's life after addiction to cigarettes. So, welcome aboard. You can do this, and we're all rooting for you! And we're here to encourage you, to support you, as you go forward. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/6/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 7 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 196 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $64.75 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 6 [B]Mins:[/B] 42 [B]Seconds:[/B] 3
17 years ago 0 10 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I'll tell you something Denise....I have felt PETRIFIED on and off since I seriously decided to quit, about two weeks ago. My quit date was yesterday, and I have stuck to it. And I still feel petrified - but those periods are growing more infrequent. I saw this in a thread somewhere else on this site, and it's stuck with me since I read it...I was a non-smoker well before I was a smoker, and I managed to do just fine then. And if you feel too scared to quit right now, set a quit date in a comfortable time period. Maybe this coming Monday, or maybe the first of April. Just make sure when you set it, that you stick to it!! And when I seriously decided to quit, I began by switching my brand of cigarettes. I only smoked full-flavored menthols, so I switched to ultra light non-menthol cigarettes. I stopped smoking in the places I smoked most often before. I thoroughly cleaned my entire home and car so no trace of my smoking addiction remained. I read everything I could on smoking cessation and the chemicals contained in cigarettes. All these things helped alleviate my fears of quitting smoking. They're not gone, but they get more manageable every day. Now if I could only stop being so irritable, I'll be set!!!! Congratulations in taking the first step towards kicking nicotine addiction for good!! YOU CAN DO IT! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/12/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 1 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 37 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $3.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 3 [B]Mins:[/B] 0 [B]Seconds:[/B] 43
17 years ago 0 1543 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Denise. From one closet smoker to another I want to welcome you. I had been a closet smoker for years due to religious reasons. Then I came out of the closet and smoked in the open for a bunch of years. I think us closet smokers fall in love with the cigarettes more because we had to sneak around. We sort of treasured those moments. Idolized them. Guess what..... I have found my moments are much more special free of the addiction and habit. I like myself MUCH BETTER. You can be free to be you. It is a lie that you like to smoke. The smoking controls YOU. It is a lie that there is something to fear. There is MUCH more fear in continuing to smoke than not smoking. Do a search engine on cancer from smoking and look at the pictures!! Very young people are dying aweful deaths. There is no fear in freedom. It is great you are here!! Hope to hear from you again. Come here often and vent...write...ask questions. This is a great bunch of people. We are like family. Mercy [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/21/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 51 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,037 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $227.97 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 6 [B]Hrs:[/B] 17 [B]Mins:[/B] 21 [B]Seconds:[/B] 22
17 years ago 0 813 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Denise Take that fear and channel it into getting rid of the addiction once and for all...You have landed lucky by finding this support group. Without these folks I would have folded like a cheap suit weeks ago...I hope that you are ready to learn about the addiction, the knowledge that you gain from this site will help you in the hard times...Make a plan and get ready for a very worthwhile journey... nonic [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 12/25/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 78 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,892 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $546 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 14 [B]Hrs:[/B] 15 [B]Mins:[/B] 39 [B]Seconds:[/B] 7
17 years ago 0 2838 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Glad to have you with us! Time to come out of the closet and this is a great place to come to. Work the program to the left of your screen so you know what to expect, then...just DO it! No need to be afraid...we've all been there. Are you planning to use NRT or any aid or are you going it cold turkey? Whatever you decide, remember NOPE Not One Puff Ever! Welcome! :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 9/8/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 186 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 9,342 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1488 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 19 [B]Hrs:[/B] 18 [B]Mins:[/B] 47 [B]Seconds:[/B] 34

Reading this thread: