Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,529 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Heinz57, eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou

Day One Is Over!!

17 years ago 0 1040 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I like your attitude, Lucky. :) Welcome to the club.
17 years ago 0 10 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello everyone - I'm a 24 year old EX smoker from Jacksonville Florida. I come from a family where everyone smokes. I was actually the one who held out the longest; I didn't begin until my freshman year in college. I remember absolutely HATING everything about cigarettes...and what do I do? I want to share with everyone why I have decided to quit for good. About a year and a half ago I started having horrible allergy attacks. These attacks eventually led to my having to have surgery and losing my sense of smell. I have developed chronic bronchitis and asthma. At 24 years old (heck, at ANY age) I don't think I should have to be going through this. I also have poor circulation in my legs, which could be Beurger's Disease in no time. My mother has just been diagnosed with COPD (she was a smoker for 43 years....I am so proud to say she has been smoke free for over 60 days!!!!!!!) My father is a survivor of throat cancer. Unfortunately, he is still a smoker. My brother is a survivor of thyroid cancer, which may or may not have anything to do with his smoking. He is also still a smoker. Even after all these health issues caused directly and indirectly by smoking, I am disgusted to say that I am grieving my cigarettes. I've been preparing to quit for about 2 weeks. I switched to a brand that I absolutely hate (which took about 50% of the enjoyment of smoking away.) I also stopped smoking in my main trigger areas (in front of my computer and in the car while driving.) It's only been 24 hours since my last cigarette, and it really wasn't such a hard day. It's just once every four hours or so that the realization that I'm not going outside to have a cigarette hits me right in the gut and I have a little panic rat going crazy inside my head. But I've promised myself to stay strong, and if I got through today, goodness knows I can get through tomorrow!!!!! Even though I do not know any of you, I admire each and every one of you for resolving to quit and being strong enough to follow through with it. All of you have my utmost respect!! Best wishes, and continue kicking some major ash. ;)
17 years ago 0 10 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I want to thank all of you for your great, warm responses!! I really appreciate the support I have received already. MomMom - Fortunately my mother has a very mild case of COPD. But she used to look online to see how much longer she could get away with smoking before it got "Bad." Luckily she smartened up and quit. It's amazing to see what a hold nicotine can have on us if we let it!
17 years ago 0 89 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey LuckyMonkey, Congrats on getting through day 1. That is a major accomplishment in itself! You definitely have every reason to quit, and even though all those reasons are there, it can still be difficult. I understand what you are saying though. My Mom was diagnosed a couple months ago with Lung Cancer and she was a smoker....however, she will continue to tell everyone she has the non-smokers kind of lung cancer. She has finally quit, but it's amazing how strong of a hold these little cigarettes can have over us. I did not quit immediately either...I cut back from a pack to 5 and then a week ago I became an ex-smoker. You are so very strong for doing this. Maybe you will be setting an example for your father and brother as well...maybe you can also help to get them to quit. Everyone is here if you need it. This place has helped me and many other TREMENDOUSLY. I don't think I would have been doing as well as I am, had I not had this wonderful support.... Stay stong! JAZ [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/6/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 7 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 147 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $35 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 12 [B]Mins:[/B] 33 [B]Seconds:[/B] 43
17 years ago 0 969 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Lucky, Welcome to the friendliest non-smoking site on the 'net. I have a relative with COPD who went through a lung transplant. Not a nice thing...all the pills and follow up with various doctors, labs, etc. She gets poked and stuck every week, but she can breathe. Can you believe she STILL smokes? She used to take her oxygen off and smoke. NUTS! She thinks her doctors don't know..... I also smoked for 42 years, and I haven't had any lung problems so far. I just hope I quit (again) in time. Congratulations on Day 1! It gets better as you go along...and when you least expect it that nasty Nic O'Demon shows up and tests you. Just kick him in the ash! Stick around, you will be one of us by tomorrow! We'll take good care of you! Nancy [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/14/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 27 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 833 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $130.95 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 3 [B]Hrs:[/B] 19 [B]Mins:[/B] 42 [B]Seconds:[/B] 44
17 years ago 0 388 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Lucky and welcome to SSC. The way a lot of us do this is one hour and one day at a time. If you start to have cravings, then take a deep breath and post if possible. There are a lot of people who will be here so just yell out for help. People are usually here 24 hours 7 days a week. We all realize that each quit is different, but you have something in common with all of us. You were once addicted to nicotine and now you have quit smoking. Yeah you. Try to keep a postive attitude, remember that smoking will not help anything and read, read, read. There are a lot of good posts from some wonderful people. Once again a big welcome and post often. Julie [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/15/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 56 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,138 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $196 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 5 [B]Hrs:[/B] 9 [B]Mins:[/B] 34 [B]Seconds:[/B] 31
17 years ago 0 2838 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Glad to have you here. Sounds like you have made a wise decision. I also have COPD, and, like your mother, quit before I have to use inhalers and O2. I have an inhaler, but have yet to use it. Today hubby and I walked 1/2 mile---I can handle that at a normal pace. That's my prize for 34 years of smoking. There's nothing good to come of it...so ya might as well quit while the quittin's good! :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 9/8/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 186 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 9,340 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1488 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 19 [B]Hrs:[/B] 18 [B]Mins:[/B] 46 [B]Seconds:[/B] 33
17 years ago 0 5195 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Congratulations on day one! Now you know you can do this! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 7/1/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 620 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 12,406 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $2170 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 56 [B]Hrs:[/B] 0 [B]Mins:[/B] 0 [B]Seconds:[/B] 18
17 years ago 0 12049 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Lucky, The decision to quit smoking in itself is such a huge step in the right direction. It is important when deciding to quit, that we quit for the right reasons and that we truly feel we are ready to quit smoking. Honesty with one self is key to a successfull quit. Be true to yourself and your endeavor to quit smoking and you will successfully succeed. If you have not, please take advantage of our free quit program as you access your glove compartment when logging on to our site. This program will help you through each step of the quitting process. Remember the SSC Support Team is always here to help you with your quit. Please keep us posted. Josie _____________________ The SSC Support Team.

Reading this thread: