Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,527 Members

Please welcome our newest members: eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH

Trying again.

17 years ago 0 24 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi all. Well, I have quit and relapsed smoking probably 10 or 11 times over the last 3 years. My lungs are sounding worse and I know my health is suffering. I have not yet quit, but I am cutting down beginning today by substituting with the nicotine inhaler. I actually have been a member of this group before and I know that it is a great source of support. I'm looking forward to getting to meet you all.
17 years ago 0 24 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks for the welcome everyone. I had an 18 year quit and then started back up when I was 40. Same story. Tough times, turn to the addiction. Tresa! You sure found me fast! Do you know who I am or did you guess. :) Anyway, I'm starting to substitute some cigs with the inhaler to start. I haven't decided on the quit date for sure, but I'm thinking Saturday. I'm on vacation next week with nothing planned but work around the house and I don't normally smoke in the house. I'm thinking a 9 day start at home and not standing in the cold to smoke might be a good thing. You all take care! I'll be back!
17 years ago 0 969 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Tutti, Peg Bundy? OMG, I used to see myself at times. This third day was the roughest for me so far...i hit at least 8 of 10 trigger points today, and overcame each one, somehow. At one point I took a walk outside in the cold and went by the smokers station to try to grab some second-hand smoke. Fortunately nobody was out there smoking at the time. I also drank so much water that I didnt think I could make it home! BUT I DIDNT SMOKE. It's become a personal challenge kind of thing. You know, like the old man who runs a triathalon, the woman who swims the channel, all just to say "I did it". I am going to get there..just to say I did it. The freedom ----whatever that turns out to be---will be IT. Then I can choose whether or not to smoke. If freedom becomes my drug of choice, I think (hope) I will be smart enough to never pick it up again. That would disappoint me and too many others. Although if they told me I had a month to live, you might find me on the porch in a rocker with a carton or 5 for companionship. Looking forward to the end of this day. I had heard the 3's were bad, and I cant dispute that. How was your day? Each crave today was one less I have to go through on this trip...stay strong! MomMom [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/14/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 2 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 83 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $9.7 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 9 [B]Mins:[/B] 8 [B]Seconds:[/B] 45
17 years ago 0 2417 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
welcome back! :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/8/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 38 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 576 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $159.6 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 3 [B]Hrs:[/B] 13 [B]Mins:[/B] 13 [B]Seconds:[/B] 30
17 years ago 0 932 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi NicoAddict. Well, I was suppose to stop on January 17th but, I didn't. So yesterday, Feb. 14th, was my day to quit. Like you, I've tried several times to quit. The thing is, and I hope this makes sense, I want to want to quit. The fact is, I like smoking and I'm ashamed to admit that. Like you, I have health problems too and I know that I have to be off of my rocker to continue sucking smoking into my lungs. The idea of living longer and not spending money hand over fists has become so appealing that here I am, trying again. Oh, I have a toothpick, a straw, a lifesaver, and gum stuffed in my mouth right now but hey, better than a cancer stick. Right? Yea, and I still feel the urge to smoke and have no idea how long these cravings will last. Keep trying, okay? I'll be here if you need to talk because I'm trying again myself. Take care, Tutti
Heya Aunt Deb, I checked the little box to show my quit meter but I see that my stats aren't showing. Hmm. Well, I just quit on Valentines Day so I'm trying to hang in there. Even before I snuffed out the last smoke, I felt nervous just knowing that was it. Not a great attitude, right? But that was yesterday and I'm chewing on everything I can get my hands on to take the place of a cigarette. I've smoked just shy of 30 years and anywhere from a pack and a half to two packs a day. Sometimes more if I felt anxious on a particular day. Does it make sense when I say, "I want to want to quit." I've always felt that way but now, I truly want to quit. I have to quit if I want to live. We all do. But I've been diagnosed with diabetes so, there is no choice for me here. The two just don't go together at all. You know how tacky some women look with a cigarette in hand? I'm one of those. All day today, when a craving hits, I sing that silly song, "I Feel Pretty." ha ha ha I do that to make myself laugh because that song drives most people up the wall. ha ha ha God, whatever it takes. Right? Please, give me some pointers because the cravings are starting to get more intense. Help!! Everyone!! ha ha Tutti
Yes Aunt Deb, I remember Peggy Bundy. ha ha ha ha That's a good one. That's no longer me either. I'm taking it a minute at a time and each time a craving hits, I'm thinking more positive rather than thinking I'm so deprived now that smokes are gone. You can also hear me when I walk from the water sloshing back and forth in my tummy. ha ha ha I do have my meter up and running now. It helps when you set it up right. LOL I've found the most wonderful people on this site and they're all helping me so much. Thank you all!! Each and every one of you. Tutti [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/14/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 2 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 147 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $5.58 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 6 [B]Mins:[/B] 50 [B]Seconds:[/B] 42
Hi MomMom, This one was rough alright. I thought it might be a little easier because I really decided to think more positive rather than thinking about how deprived I feel right now. I spent a great part of the day reading this site just to maintain that positive attitude and my quit. That feeling that I've lost my companion kept slipping in and that made this day very hard to get through. Thank God it is almost over. At least when we're sleeping, our bodies can do keep kicking out the nicotine while we catch a well needed break. At one point today, I thought maybe I'll just drive down to the store and buy two packs of the strongest, nastiest smokes I can find and chain smoke. Just light one right off the other so that I feel really good and sick from smoking way too much. Then it hit me, I've done that several times in the past and it never made me quit. So, here I am still sloshing from all of the water I've been drinking, a wad of gum about the size of my fist in my mouth, and I'm still saying, "I Will Do This." Well, I'm trying to say that but I have a huge wad of gum in my mouth!! ha ha I can't say much of anything. I sound a whole lot like Charlie Brown's school teacher. Oh, what I'd give to go back years ago to the very first time I was offered a smoke and know what I know now. MomMom, this one was really hard but we're still hanging in there. Let's just keep right on talking to each other and with everyone else. I know it's going to get easier and we'll feel a lot better. We just both want that to happen, NOW....YESTERDAY is even better. I'll be thinking about you and let's try our best to hang in there. We really can beat this and we're both off to a good start. Take Care, Tutti [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/14/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 2 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 158 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $5.58 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 7 [B]Mins:[/B] 23 [B]Seconds:[/B] 28
17 years ago 0 591 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Tutti...why haven't you come to us yet. Let us know who you are. Show your stats and be proud, they really do start climbing (especially when you can see them) We might be able to give you a reason to laugh at your addiction and kick it in the Butt We really CAN lend an ear to your issues, you may not like some of our "opinions", but............the Great Thing is... .........there are so many to pick and choose from Come on Tutti...we would all love to get to know and love you auntdeb :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/1/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 45 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,279 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $213.75 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 6 [B]Hrs:[/B] 6 [B]Mins:[/B] 37 [B]Seconds:[/B] 27
17 years ago 0 591 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Tutti, yeagh..."want to want to Quit"...you got it going right! anybody can say..."I want to Quit" but...do you really want...."to Want To Quit"? I'm so glad you came back...and I hope you are good and mad at yourself...so you do it this time! I reminded myself of Peggy Bundy on "married with Children" (does anybody remember that show in the 80's?)....... you know with the cigarett hanging out the mouth ...cooking? I'm here to tell you...those days are over...(James Brown).. "I Feel Good...sha da la da la... Like I knew I would...sha da la da la... ....I Feeelll Nice sha da la da la... Like Sugar and Spice sha da la da la..." ....so good, so good...cause I don't smoke sha da la da la... auntdeb :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/1/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 46 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,333 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $218.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 6 [B]Hrs:[/B] 10 [B]Mins:[/B] 7 [B]Seconds:[/B] 42

Reading this thread: