Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,623 Members

Please welcome our newest members: SJOLINE GEL, Duncan Brown, BBEA ANGELIC, HMAZO, MLISING

new to site: 42 days done with ...

17 years ago 0 7 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi - I am new to this site. I have been smoking for 24 years about 1.5 packs a day. I have tried cold turkey before...IT DOES NOT WORK! My doctor wants to try me on Wellbutren - Does anyone know anything about that or have a suggestion for something else? Let me know. Jen
17 years ago 0 9 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
2tone - I specifically quit that week so I could go to the gym everyday (since I was on vacation) and I knew that would help me. I always feel better about myself after a cardio class. One of my reasons for quitting was to be able to breathe better so I COULD exercise more. That's great that you are really doing it. I also just bought a treadmill - but I haven't been as motivated as you to use it. Maybe you'll motivate me? Aunt Deb - do I sound depressed to you?... [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 12/27/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 41 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,048 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $246 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 4 [B]Hrs:[/B] 10 [B]Mins:[/B] 32 [B]Seconds:[/B] 15
  • Quit Meter

$23,849.18

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 6424 Hours: 22

Minutes: 19 Seconds: 8

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 9 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello. I am 42 days quit all because of Chantix. I have been smoking for 30 years. I even smoked thru 2 pregnacys. I am no angel. I still have many urges to smoke, and I am very surprised by that. I thought once the nicotine was out of my body, the cravings would subside. Some days they seem worse than ever. I am very nervous about when my "Chantix days" are over. I intend to take it for as long as possible, but I wonder what the longer term statistics are? That is, what % of smokers stay off the butts after one year off of Chantix? I know tht pill is the first thing I look for when I get up. I take the second around noon, since it tened to keep me awake at night if I took it later in the afternoon. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 12/27/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 41 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,044 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $246 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 4 [B]Hrs:[/B] 10 [B]Mins:[/B] 6 [B]Seconds:[/B] 30
  • Quit Meter

$23,849.18

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 6424 Hours: 22

Minutes: 19 Seconds: 8

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 591 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Jen auntdeb here...why not try Chantix? (worked for me...I would never try the cold-turkey thing again...unless I were too ill to use anything else) search some of the sites for past Posts on Chantix and other methods for quitting. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/1/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 40 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,029 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $190 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 5 [B]Hrs:[/B] 14 [B]Mins:[/B] 5 [B]Seconds:[/B] 26
cathyo, Didn't mean to imply you sounded depressed, sorry. Just that you mentioned some difficulty sleeping somewhere in the post and having trouble to get motivated using your treadmill. I talk about depression with smoke cessation because it is a common occurrence. Reading your post it sounds like you are handling things quite well. My only intent here was to enforce getting into other activities such as you are doing, the exercise and healty habits as chicknoodle suggested to keep from getting into a depressed state. But...if it should happen (and it can creep in inciduously)...be prepared to ask for a Dr's help,...above all Keep the Quit. Faithfreedom has told us what we need to know. She has successfully maintained her quit, and let go of the Chantix as well. She has also prepared us for what may come when we stop taking it. "Thanks Faithfreedom"! This is week 7 for me using the Chantix, and fortunately for me...there have been no interuptions in getting or using the med. I did ask my Doctor what we would do if depression started when I completed the course, and he said we would talk about it if...it happened then. Like 2-Tone said...Spring is right around the corner..and we will worry about it then. I live in the country with a beautiful spot for a garden...and I intend to make good use of it. The badly needed exercise I am lacking now will end, and if any depression comes along...I feel pretty confident that the garden work will put an end to that as well. what makes me so happy about the Chantix is the effect it has had on stopping the horrible intensity of craving... and yes...I may have a craving...but I now know that emotional triggers are the culprits that I have used cigarrettes to deal with them...and the cravings are just not that bad (like I have experienced in the past using other things or nothing) When I stop the Chantix...I will be OK...I know it I think all of us will Cathyo :)auntdeb [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/1/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 37 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,871 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $175.75 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 5 [B]Hrs:[/B] 3 [B]Mins:[/B] 37 [B]Seconds:[/B] 46
Cathyo, I think what we have to realize here, is that now...while we are taking the Chantix...we need to rev up our moods by doing things that bring us pleasure. Also physical excersize helps increase serotonin, melatonin,and our metabolism. Exercise at the right time of day can produce a very restful sleep in the evening. (don't do it right after supper...in the morning or early afternoon is best Depression is masked by nicotine...and sometimes unknown to us smokers has been a self-medicating substance. Alas, we may need a Doctor or counselor to help intervene to get us back on track for a few months after Chantix... We are becoming new people...and our activities will reflect this too. We are shedding that old habit. It's time for change. auntdeb [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/1/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 36 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,838 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $171 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 5 [B]Hrs:[/B] 1 [B]Mins:[/B] 24 [B]Seconds:[/B] 12
17 years ago 0 175 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Cathyo - It looks like all of our numbers are real close together. I quit with Chantix and I've been having the same thoughts (how am I going to feel AFTER my prescription is gone). I'm going to see my MD next week and ask him that very same question. When he originally wrote me the script, he told me 12 weeks and if I wanted to continue for an additional 12, that was OK with him. So there you have it. The FDA says a 24 week therapy is safe, I'm all for it. That should get me well into summer and I'll worry about it then. In the meantime, I'm working out non-stop. I mean, I've become obsessed with the health and fitness craze. I bought a treadmill and do about four miles a day. I lift weights and I'm on a restricted diet. I've never felt better. Why, you ask? I'm hoping that I will develop healthy habits before I say goodbye to the Chantix. Just my two cents. -- 2tone [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 12/26/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 42 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,199 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $231 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 7 [B]Hrs:[/B] 0 [B]Mins:[/B] 57 [B]Seconds:[/B] 57
  • Quit Meter

$357,737.63

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 9152 Hours: 21

Minutes: 23 Seconds: 51

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 613 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Cathyo: I quit with Chantix and very successfully. I will warn you of my experience. I completed my 12-week program about three weeks ago. I was SO edgy and feeling SO ragged that I asked for a second 12-week prescription. For several reasons, there were delays in getting the prescription filled and I found that after two weeks OFF the Chantix, I started to feel a lot better. I'm doing very well now -- no nicotine and no Chantix -- no meds of any kind. So far, so good. I just want to let you know that I chose NOT to do a second 12-week run of Chantix because I was honestly fearful that I was becoming addicted to the Chantix. Another addiction I DO NOT need! Maybe no one else has experienced this, but from what I can tell, I'm the only one on this site that has completed the 12-week cycle and gotten off the Chantix altogether. I hope this helps in some way. Keep up the great quit -- and keep the faith [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 10/8/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 122 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 4,880 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $976 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 15 [B]Hrs:[/B] 22 [B]Mins:[/B] 54 [B]Seconds:[/B] 27
17 years ago 0 449 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thought I'd throw my experience into the Chantix ring! I'm now into my second 12-week prescription. I was afraid that if I didn't complete the entire program, I'd have a "backdoor" for a "justified" relapse. Meaning that if I did everything I as supposed to do then I would not find myself at 16 weeks, smoking a cigarette saying "well, if I had listened to my doctor and taken his advice, I would still have a glorious quit going." Yes, I know that would just be the old nicotine junkie speaking! So I've chosen to take the life out of that particular junkie thought by giving myself more time to develop more healthy habits so that when I do complete my Chantix prescription, I will be as prepared as I possibly can be to enjoy my smoke-free life! I hope this makes sense to someone other than me and maybe even helps someone! LOL Stay strong!! Debbie [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 10/26/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 104 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,088 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $390 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 10 [B]Hrs:[/B] 4 [B]Mins:[/B] 4 [B]Seconds:[/B] 11
17 years ago 0 318 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I used Chantix for three weeks and quit smoking and used Chantix for 5 more weeks. 8 weeks total. Never had any problem when I stoped Chantix. I think like any way you quit every one is differant. I smoked 52 years and up to 3 pks aday. I think about smoking all the time. Does not mean I want to smoke. [IMG]http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p178/Trailbum/horse-ontrail.gif[/IMG] Pat [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 9/22/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 139 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 6,979 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1390 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 20 [B]Hrs:[/B] 3 [B]Mins:[/B] 54 [B]Seconds:[/B] 46

Reading this thread: