Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,634 Members

Please welcome our newest members: CuppaJo, GCAJULAO, RPABIA, TEBON, SJOLINE GEL

hi everyone / newbie

17 years ago 0 2 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
hi guys, and thanks! good points, shevie... after having read nearly everything out there to see if that might give me motivation to quit, it's nice to actually have some personal feedback. hmm... i'm wondering if the "lack of motivation" i feel might actually be depression related to withdraw? come to think about it, seems rather obvious. and it DOES take motivation to buy tobacco, go outside, smoke, etc. ... if i was truly apathetic about the issue, how could i have the motivation to do all that, yet lack the motivation to NOT do all that? hmmmmmmm
17 years ago 0 2 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
hello everyone... i'm new to this community, and i suppose at the moment interested in exactly what it is like... i'm often thinking about quitting smoking... although for me, quitting is more an issue of working up the motivation and desire to quit and stay quit than it is overcoming an addiction that is controlling my life. (although, i realize most every addict to anything claims they're not an addict...) a little about me. i've been smoking a little over a year. i'm 25, and i've recently returned from africa, where i worked as a volunteer for a little more than a year. i started smoking there, after my best friend (an american) died, because: 1) he had just started smoking, and i thought it would be an interesting and macabre way of mourning him, 2) i'd always wanted to be a smoker, for various reasons, and 3) it was a convenient way of mitigating the stress that came with the media frenzy and embassy-ordered homocide investigation on the heels of his death. obviously, the reasons i started smoking were not the same reasons i continued. while in africa, i lived in more-or-less one of the most rural, backwards, and challengings situation imaginable... mud-and-grass hut, very little english (i had to learn the local languages), no other americans anywhere near me -- total isolation in a completely unfamiliar environment. smoking was a convenient way to manage stress (much of it brought upon me by the side-effects of an anti-malarial medicine i was forced to take), as well as a way to have some kind of "routine" in a very chaotic world, which at times could be as endlessly boring as it was endlessly exciting and challenging. the life expectancy for the country i was in was 32 -- and in my village, was most likely even lower, if you can imagine that. virtually no medical resources. there were so many possibilities for death or illness to think or worry about, that the dangers of my smoking were usually far from my mind. anyway, i returned two months ago... the adjustment from living in africa the way i was to living in america is extremely difficult -- reverse culture shock. i've been busy rushing around trying to get my life together, and quitting smoking hasn't seemed like much of a priority yet. i am currently residing with my parents
17 years ago 0 449 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Clovi, and welcome and best wishes in your quit. I'm new here - I found reading, researching and keeping up on my glove compartment and the tools incredibly hepful to my quit. And you're so so young! I hve a 24 yer old nephew tht I willbe prodding to quit once I feel secure myself. Just don't become like me - the former me - smoking at age 40 plus (44) and for 30 years, longer than you joined mankind :) - More experienced members will have more to add, but a big welcome and good luck. Marie [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/3/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 12 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 361 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $90 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 4 [B]Mins:[/B] 57 [B]Seconds:[/B] 56
17 years ago 0 2670 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
hi clovisc welcome to the SSC you will get lots of support here congrats on your decision to quit lynnexx [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 10/24/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 83 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,246 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �332 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 9 [B]Hrs:[/B] 8 [B]Mins:[/B] 17 [B]Seconds:[/B] 48
  • Quit Meter

$113,570.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 6493 Hours: 16

Minutes: 42 Seconds: 31

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 2027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi, Clovisc. Congratulations on your decision to quit smoking and welcome to the SSC. If you haven't already done so, I strongly suggest you work through this site's Online Quit Program. There is a ton of good information and tips to help make this quit a success. I hear a lot of addict talking in your post. That's not meant as a condemnation, simply a statement of fact. You were right when you said "[i]i realize most every addict to anything claims they're not an addict[/i]". The admission and acceptance of this fact to yourself is quite a liberating experience. Being an addict means you will always be subject to relapse. It does not mean you will always be struggling with it. Trust me, I know. You are only 25 and have only smoked about a year. What a fantastic time to quit, before major and irrepairable damage has been done. It sounds like you are beginning withdrawal now. One of the symptoms of nicotine deprivation is depression. Beware of it. It is one of the biggest quit killers there is. Quitting is a matter of motivation. You must want to quit more than you want to smoke. You should want to quit for you and you alone. Do not try to compare the discomforts of Africa to the discomforts of your quit. They are not the same. The former came from outside, the latter comes from inside. You can quit, Clovisc. Browse the forums, ask questions, read much, and post often. Shevie [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/23/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 602 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 12,041 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $2287.6 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 111 [B]Hrs:[/B] 20 [B]Mins:[/B] 28 [B]Seconds:[/B] 48
17 years ago 0 12049 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Clovisc, Welcome to our support community! You have received lots of great advice and it will keep on coming. The members know what you are going through and can be of great assistance to you. You have to want this, and the choice is ultimately yours. We are here to help and not judge. So continue to share with us and let us guide you, you came here for a reason :) Josie ______________________ The SSC Support Team.

Reading this thread: