Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-20 2:48 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.755 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,656 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Julia725, RFULLERO, OJOIZA ALTHEA, PKENNETH LANCE, JSABAS

ParrotLady has found you!

17 years ago 0 738 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Windy, all of them talk a little, some of them talk a LOT and the African Grey talks in paragraphs. He is one smart cookie! He says stuff you'd swear was a person. Proper gramar and appropriate to the situation. One of the Macaws is talking more and more, and he's beginning to mimic the African Grey. The Amazon starts a kids type argument "mine" "no" and the African grey and the Macaw take the alternate "Mine" "yes" and "let go" and they go back and forth until my husband and I are laughing; though the African grey will throw in "leggo my eggo" once in awhile. Some times you cannot tell the difference between the telephone and a bird or 3 making the sound. Especially the "message" one on the cell. And the beep of the microwave... My house is a lot of noise, but a lot of laughter, too. Huey, the African Grey, gives himself away when he's on the floor and he's usually chewing the base bords. He says, "What are you doing on the floor, birds don't belong on the floor." as he gnaws the baseboard....we keep a stack of stained half round baseboard in the garage. So, here it is, the end of day 5, and I'm still smoke free and today was fairly easy most of the time. The craves came fewer but harder, if that makes any sense.... I did notice that since I'm not smoking, I don't go for a breaks. Well, when I smoked, I didn't go for a real break, just grab a smoke (instead of food, even) and go back. Well, today I thought, hey, what if I go take a break? I've NEVER done that, because I have smoked for 40 years, and well, I didn't really know what to DO on a break. Isn't that weird? I just sat there, and, well, breaked. Kinda nice, kinda relaxing, kinda refreshing, actually. Imagine that! Good night all you lovely folks, I wish all of you a wonderful, restful, strengthening sleep! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 10/16/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 5 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 154 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $37.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 14 [B]Mins:[/B] 26 [B]Seconds:[/B] 22
That's funny Phil, my husband and I had a sun room built (when we only had 4 parrots), and of course, we now have a sun room but the parrots are still in the family room.... very strange! We hardly ever even use the sun room. Too hot in summer and too cold in winter. Great for sitting in and smoking, except for the smoke film on the windows that you can't get off and the smell that wont go away.....good thing I QUIT, isn't it? PrincessC- Guess what? You are right! I slept 8 hours straight last night! HoooRahhhh!!! Sharon, everything you talk about helps me SO much, cuz I'm right behind you, and you are giving me a heads up what to expect. This site is THE BOMB, don't you think? I pledge not to smoke today! Off to work now, it's time for me to be off ministering meds to the psychotic. Bye for now, thanks for all the support! It would be much harder without all of you. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 10/16/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 4 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 139 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $30 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 13 [B]Mins:[/B] 3 [B]Seconds:[/B] 54
Well, here it is, nearly the end of day 4 - only about 5 more hours and I'll call day 4 over. With any luck, I will sleep through the party, because I haven't slept any too well these last few days. But my day was smoke free, and that's what counts. I had a head full of Junkie thinking and I kept going in circles (the grocery store people were looking at me kinda funny...) all day - even the car got confused today! But I made it, and it was thinking of all of you (and of course, a Higher power) here that helped me through some of the toughest craves yet. Thanks all for the support! And Lindsey, did you ever get another bird? [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 10/16/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 4 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 120 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $30 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 11 [B]Mins:[/B] 15 [B]Seconds:[/B] 59
Awwww, so sweet, Dutch, You are so very thoughtful! Never thought an elephant would hug me, though..... [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 10/16/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 3 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 94 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $22.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 8 [B]Mins:[/B] 46 [B]Seconds:[/B] 23
[font=Comic Sans MS] [color=Green] Hi all, thanks for such a warm welcome. I can't tell you how much all the information here on this site means to me and the true friendships that obviously form between you. I am almost 3 days complete, it's nearly midnight here in California, and I am ready to call this day 3/72 hours done. Thank you all for everything you offer! I feel I've come home. This has been my hardest day so far, but here I am, still 100% smoke free! Doing it with the patch, some deep breathing, and you all, of course. Yahoooo, what a ride![/color][/font] [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 10/16/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 3 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 93 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $22.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 8 [B]Mins:[/B] 44 [B]Seconds:[/B] 58
Well, here I am again! When I checked my email, it was overflowing with notifications of responses! I am sooooo encouraged by all the wonderful support and that I can come here day or night and give and get so much here. I work what you would call the swing shift, so I have to be at work (where there is, sadly, no internet access) between 2pm and 11pm, so I must needs post before and after. Mostly after, cuz I don't wake up so early these days. I am breathing amazingly better after just one day, imagine how much better it will be after weeks, months, even years! I am committed! No more slaverey! And we CAN do it together! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 10/16/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 1 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 48 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $7.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 4 [B]Mins:[/B] 26 [B]Seconds:[/B] 15
oh, golly, Mr Ed, I've not named myself after an animal, I've named myself that because I have 7 parrots in my family room! People know we have parrots, and they GIVE them to us. The last 4 we got were rescues, and I can't tell you here the horrible conditons we see the poor things in. But they are also a major inspiration to me to stay quit, because they are soooo fragile, and the nicotine can kill them! My husband says I quit for them, not for him, and although I answer I QUIT FOR ME, it's probably a partially true statement. I still feel quite lightheaded and not really connected to the world, but I AM DOING THIS with your support, I know it! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 10/16/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 1 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 48 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $7.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 4 [B]Mins:[/B] 32 [B]Seconds:[/B] 46
[color=Green]Text[/color]Hi all, I am working on 23 hours sans cigs and am having a great time even if my jaws feel like lock jaw from clamping down on straws and hard candy. I'm not sure if I am going to cry or laugh next, but it's gonna be a ride. I am bound and determined this is it, I've smoked since I was 12 years old and now I'm 52...you do the math, my head is floating and I can't seem to think clearly. Love being here, would love some encouragement, and hope to give lots of the same.
Sorry, haven't got the hang of the quit meter yet, it keeps dissappearing off my desk, and it doesn't show the hours correct... the perils of grandmas running puters... 23 hours, 12 minutes and 10 seconds. 29 cigarettes not smoked, saving $7.25. Life saved: 2 hours, 25 minutes.
17 years ago 0 18 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi I'm Puffree46 and want to say keep up the hard work it's all worth while ParrotLady you'll see, just keep telling yourself ya can do it! Come here it really helps knowing your not alone there all good people here. As for myself I am close to 1 month nicotine free I can hardly beleive it went by so fast youpie!!! Puffree46 Thanks eveyone :))your posts helped me through some hot spots lol glad to know I'm not alone. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 9/19/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 28 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 709 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $189 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 22 [B]Mins:[/B] 4 [B]Seconds:[/B] 0

Reading this thread: